Star Blog

2008 Giants Take Lesson From 2007 Cowboys

Since the Cowboys are no longer involved and I am tired of being upset I had to find somewhere or someone to take my frustrations out on. I can think of no one better than the Giants. The Giants and their fans make this an easy proposition. What makes it so easy is that this years version of the "New York Football Giants" are strikingly similar to last years version of the Dallas Cowboys. The best part of this though is that Giants fans do not see the similarities or in most cases see them, but since winning last years Super Bowl believe the Giants are immune to it!

The Giants started off the year hot and carried that momentum deep into the season. Both teams won 9 of their first 10 games, and were announced as the team that would represent the NFC in the Super Bowl in October. Dallas and New York both sported 11-1 records through November. THEN DECEMBER CAME! Dallas is hammered by national media for choking in December as they went 2-2 to finish the season at 13-3 and a first round win bye (thanks for that Wade). The Giants however are still the darlings of ESPN even though they have all but crawled through December with a 1-3 record to finish the season at 12-4 and a first round bye. The Cowboys drew the worst possible match up last year when they were awarded with a Home matchup against a division rival in the Giants who by the way had gotten hot and were winners of 4 of their last 6. Now the Giants have drawn the worst possible matchup. At home against a division rival in the Eagles. Who oh by the way have won 5 of their last 6 (one of those wins in N.Y.).

The Cowboys last year came into the divisional game with an inflated head thinking they deserved to be in the Super Bowl, and would roll past the Giants. In the first half that's what looked like what would happen, with the running of Marion Barber. Then in the second half the Giants defense shut down the Cowboy offense and our hopes were shattered. Sound anything like what is happening with the Giants this year? I keep hearing things like "the G-Men don't bend over in big games" and "you don't think Donovan is going to beat the Super Bowl MVP in a big game do you". Sounds very similar to things coming out of Dallas last year.

The NFL playoffs have more to do with who is hot than how good your team is! Just ask the Patriots! Does anyone actually believe that the best team won the Super Bowl last year? The Giants were and are a good team, but they were not even on the same page as last years Patriots team. They were however on a hot streak like no other! The Giants will only go as far as their O-line and that 3 headed monster takes them. The Eagles are on Fire right now, everything is clicking, especially their defense! The best part of the Eagles defense is their run defense, look what they did to the best back in the league (Adrian Peterson) in the second half last week. This game should be a dandy, and don't be surprised if Elisha is the one crying this year instead of T.O.

All of this may be shear coincidence, but if I were a Giants fan I believe I would not be so quick to dismiss the Eagles. Although from a personal stand point I would love nothing more than for the Eagles to give Giants fans a large dose of reality. When I was younger I had more hatred towards Eagles fans but the older I get the more that pendulum sways towards Giants fans. So to all you Giants fans keep running your mouth, its fun I know, it will make for a great laugh on my behalf when the Eagles make you regret doing so.

1. Luke

January 7, 2009 at 3:02 pm

It’s nice to see the eagles have support to take out the reigning superbowl champs.
    Go Eagles!

2. bags030404

January 7, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Never thought I would ever say this but….. GO EAGLES!!!!!

3. Mike D

January 7, 2009 at 4:16 pm

The 2007 Cowboys were NOT the reigning SB champs when they played the Giants and The 2008 NYG do not have The worst coach in the NFL (Fat boy Phillips). This NYG Team is not in the midst of a 12 playoff drought and are not a Team full of cancers like the Cowgirls are. Most Importantly this NYG team has the reigning SB MVP at the helm not Tony Chokmo. I’m also prettty sure Eli didnt run down to Cabo with a washed up pop singer the week before the biggest game of his life.
    I must say I do apreciate you dedicating an enire article to me though, as I seem to be the onlt one reading your articles. Guess all the Cowgirl Fans are buisy crying their eyes out after another blown or should i say Romo’d season

4. Mike D

January 7, 2009 at 4:17 pm

*12 year

5. bags030404

January 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm

We will find out how “unstopable” your Giants are! I think it is absolutely histarical how defensive you get when someone points out anything bad about your beloved Giants!

6. bags030404

January 7, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Just so you know we have been doing just fine here without your blind ideas about the Cowboys. Since you keep coming back though it must mean that I am doing something right. So thanks for coming, and I enjoy battling with you! Are you having a Bromance with Elisha? I mean I like my QB too but damn you take it to extreme’s.

7. GMen Rule

January 8, 2009 at 9:29 am

Well, I for one, am worried shitless about facing the Eagles – I would have much rather faced the Cardinals. But, I do have to say one thing – the 3 losses the Giants had in December – all were played without Brandon Jacobs – so, having him in the game will be a huge boost for the GMen! It will probably come down to the 4th quarter as always with these games – and hopefully the Gmen are left standing in the end. Not to put a curse on us or anything, but the Number 1 Seed has only lost one time to a Number 6 seed – so.. hopefully that trend continues.

8. bags030404

January 8, 2009 at 11:48 am

That is all I was pointing out that this is not a gimme game, and that the trend we started last year could come to fruition again this year!

9. Mike D

January 8, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Bags- Looks like old Jerruh maybe heeding my advice after all…Pacman cut and Rumors that T.O. may be next..
    As far as Eli I just Thank God every Time I watch a Cowgirl game the ELi is our QB and not that choke Artist Blowmo!

Star Blog

How The Tables Have Turned for 2019 Dallas Cowboys

How The Tables Have Turned for 2019 Dallas Cowboys

The 2018 season was a two-part tale for the Dallas Cowboys. The first is the story of a mediocre 3-5 team that couldn't get it going offensively. The second part is about a football team that turned its season around, made the playoffs, got a win in the postseason and ultimately lost to the team that ended up representing the NFC in Super Bowl LIII, the Los Angeles Rams.

Surely, 2018 didn't go as planned. The storylines leading to last season are actually very different from the ones we're hearing today. Let's take a look at a few examples of how the tables have turned for the Dallas Cowboys.

The need for a true WR1

Last season, Dak Prescott and the Cowboys preached the philosophy of not needing a #1 wide receiver. While that could've sound encouraging at the time, once the season began the team was proven wrong. They did need a WR1. Fortunately, this season we won't have to worry about it. This year, Dez Bryant shouldn't be a discussion topic among Cowboys' fans.

Amari Cooper is in the house. And he's been pretty good since he started playing with a Star on his helmet. If we have conversations about the WR position, they will not be about who's the #1 guy. With Michael Gallup showing up late in the season, it probably won't be about who is #2 either.

How Cowboys Set up High-Stakes Division Meeting with Eagles at Home

Back on top of the NFC East

Last year, the Dallas Cowboys were not really the favorites to win the NFC East. The Philadelphia Eagles had just made history by winning their first Super Bowl ever and it seemed like the Cowboys would have to get a wildcard spot to play in January. Now it's the Cowboys back on top after sweeping the Eagles and turning their once 3-5 season around.

That of course, means a tougher schedule next season. However, it's nice to be back on top of the division. These two teams will surely have an intense race for the division title next season. Maybe we even see them both in the playoffs for the second consecutive year.

Sean Lee's uncertain future

I'm pretty sure no one expected Sean Lee to be considered a potential cap casualty for the 2019 season. Even if he was, it would've probably been anticipating an injury or something like that. No one would've imagined that Leighton Vander Esch would be so good to take Sean Lee's job.

The Cowboys' first round rookie truly earned the starting role as the defense's weak linebacker and he should keep it. With Sean Lee set to return to the field, I'm sure we didn't expect him to be a backup by now. We'll have to wait and see if the Cowboys decide to part ways with him. As a fan, it would certainly be painful. But we can't deny it would be a move that makes sense.

✭✭✭

It's a crazy franchise on a crazy league. Who knows how things will go from now on, but the Dallas Cowboys certainly look like a promising team heading into the 2019 offseason. Here at Inside The Star, we'll continue to update you with the latest on your favorite NFL team.

Tell me what you think about "How The Tables Have Turned for 2019 Dallas Cowboys" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!

Star Blog

Cowboys en Español: Volviendo a la Idea de Earl Thomas

Are the Dallas Cowboys Done Pursuing FS Earl Thomas? 1

El año pasado, Earl Thomas fue uno de los temas de conversación más frecuentes para los aficionados de los Dallas Cowboys. Después de que los Seattle Seahawks no le dieran su deseada extensión de contrato, Thomas se convirtió en un candidato a ser intercambiado de su equipo. Entre los favoritos estaban los Cowboys, quienes tenían una necesidad en su defensiva secundaria. Ahora que la temporada 2018 llegó a su fin, la misma necesidad por un safety de calidad está presente en Dallas.

Sólo que en esta ocasión, Earl Thomas no está bajo contrato con ningún equipo. Su último momento con el uniforme de los Seahawks fue en un carro de lesiones, donde salía lesionado en dirección a su vestidor. Esto mientras se despedía de su equipo con el dedo de en medio extendido hacia sus entrenadores y compañeros. Así concluyó su temporada y su carrera en Seattle.

Ahora, listo para cumplir los 30 años en mayo, Earl Thomas probará la agencia libre cuando comience en marzo. Y sin lugar a dudas, uno de los equipos candidatos a firmarlo serán los Dallas Cowboys. Es un equipo que a pesar de tener una de las mejores defensivas la temporada pasada, se vería muy beneficiada con la llegada de un profundo del calibre de Thomas.

A pesar de su edad y las lesiones, Thomas continúa siendo uno de los mejores en la liga. Su talento es innegable y tendrá toda la disposición de demostrar lo que vale cuando tome el campo la próxima temporada. Cuando llegue el momento, podríamos ver una guerra de ofertas entre varios equipos de la NFL para llevarse al veterano a sus respectivas ciudades.

La pregunta es: ¿estarán los Dallas Cowboys en esa guerra de ofertas?

Los Cowboys tienen espacio en el tope salarial. Sin embargo, este no durará mucho considerando que DeMarcus Lawrence está esperando su merecida y cara extensión después de jugar bajo la etiqueta franquicia en 2018. Además, jugadores que aún están bajo contrato también estarán buscando ofertas este offseason.

Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper, y Byron Jones están en la lista de quehaceres de la administración. Eso sin mencionar a Cole Beasley, cuyo contrato ya expiró y podría llegar a la agencia libre en marzo.

A pesar de esta complicada situación, los Dallas Cowboys deberían buscar conseguir a Thomas. Siendo sinceros, la defensiva tiene mucho talento y podría mantener su nivel en 2019. Pero hace falta un jugador en la posición de safety para llevar a esta unidad a otro nivel. Un nivel realmente capaz de ganar en postemporada enfrentándose a cualquier tipo de ofensiva. Sin importar que tan explosiva sea. Y además de esto, un jugador que sea capaz de robar el balón y hacer jugadas de impacto constantemente.

Cuando los Cowboys se enfrentaron a Seahawks en temporada regular, Thomas dio un buen ejemplo de esto interceptando en dos ocasiones a la ofensiva de Dak Prescott.

A pasos de un equipo de campeonato, un movimiento agresivo para obtener a Earl Thomas sería algo genial para Dallas. Vimos como los Rams de Los Angeles fueron agresivos al construir su equipo y llegaron hasta el Super Bowl este febrero. Quizá es tiempo de que Jerry Jones y compañía sean igual de agresivos y vayan por ese safety elite que la afición lleva pidiendo desde el offseason del año pasado.

Tell me what you think about "Cowboys en Español: Volviendo a la Idea de Earl Thomas" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!

Star Blog

Slot Machine: Amari Cooper in the Slot Could be Even More Dangerous

Slot Machine: Cole Beasley Out, Amari Cooper In?

Amari Cooper was a dangerous man with the Dallas Cowboys after he arrived via trade from the Oakland Raiders last season. He was one of the big reasons why they were able to turn around a season that looked as if it was circling the drain and I don't think anybody would argue the point. But, I think he could be even more dangerous in 2019, especially if Cole Beasley departs via free agency.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you pretty much know the topic of the Cowboys offseason so far has centered around Cole Beasley and his future with the organization. He has been invaluable in Dallas since arriving as an undrafted free agent in 2012, but it's looking more and more as if he could be taking his talents elsewhere in 2019.

With Beasley more than likely moving on, the Cowboys will need to find someone who can replace his production in the passing game, especially in the slot. Everybody assumes Dallas needs to go outside the organization to find that player, but I'm not so sure. I think they already have a wide receiver more than capable of stepping in, and he just so happens to be there first-round draft pick this year.

In case you haven't figured it out already, I'm talking about Wide Receiver Amari Cooper. He has mostly been used as an outside receiver in his professional career, but he does have the skill set and route running ability to be a really dangerous out of the slot. I'm not talking about a full-time move into the slot or anything, just a marginal increase in snaps.

Amari Cooper

Dallas Cowboys WR Amari Cooper (AP Photo/Rich Schultz)

According to Rotounderworld.com, only 12.6% of Amari Cooper's snaps in 2018 were out of the slot. For comparison sake, Cole Beasley's snaps in the slot was 85.9%, the highest of any receiver in the NFL last season. That's a huge difference, not one the Cowboys should try to match with Cooper or any other potential slot WR replacement.

Personally, I'd like to see Cooper's snaps playing out of the slot increased to around 20%. That would put him in Odell Beckham Jr. territory (19.9%), and we all know how difficult he is to cover all over the field. It would likely do the same for Amari Cooper.

I just really like the idea of him having the entire field to work with and the favorable matchup it creates with slot/nickel cornerbacks around the league. Can you imagine opposing defensive coordinators trying to figure out how to contain a player that has the kind of speed and route running ability that Amari Cooper has? They better stock up on Tylenol, because that is a surefire way to get a headache.

This is course is just speculation at this point, especially since we don't know what the Cowboys offense will look like with Kellen Moore taking over the playcalling duties. But if it was me, I'd be doing everything in my power to get the ball in the hands of my best WR, Amari Cooper, and that might mean increasing his snaps out of the slot.

What do you think about using Amari Cooper out of the slot more often in 2019?