Star Blog

5 Bye Week Decisions the Cowboys Hopefully Made

5 Bye Week Adjustments Cowboys Hopefully Made
Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

The bye week for the Dallas Cowboys quite possibly came at the perfect time. After two close games that probably should've gone in their favor, it was time to take a step back and regroup, while also evaluating everything in order to figure out exactly what's working and what's not.

The Dallas Cowboys coaching staff is probably going to have to make some tough decisions if the evaluation process turns out the way I think. It is not always easy to make these kind of decisions, but sometimes you have to do what is best for the team in order to get the right players on the field.

That is why I decided to put together a list of five bye week decisions I am hoping the Dallas Cowboys made in hopes of putting the best possible team on the field the remainder of the season. Continue to read below to see which five decisions I'm hoping the Cowboys made during the bye week.

WR Brice Butler

Dallas Cowboys WR Brice Butler

1. Promote Brice Butler over Terrance Williams

Dallas Cowboys fans have been hankering to see Brice Butler receive more playing time over Terrance Williams for a couple of seasons now. It has been a hot topic the last couple of off-seasons, but nothing has ever materialized. Hopefully, that may change if the Cowboys coaching staff sat down and really evaluated how both of these receivers have performed through the first five weeks of the 2017 season.

Butler has clearly outperformed Williams so far this season and absolutely deserves more playing time. He already has accumulated 207 receiving yards and two touchdowns compared to Williams' 180 yards and ZERO TDs. Also, Butler provides something Williams doesn't… big ability. It's something the Cowboys offenses has been lacking and definitely something it needs.

It's time that offensive coordinator Scott Linehan really opens things up for Dak Prescott and having Butler's deep threat ability does just that. Opening up the entire offense for Prescott is even more important while Ezekiel Elliott serves his six-game suspension. It's past time the Cowboys offense spreads things out and force opposing defenses to cover the entire field.

QB Dak Prescott

Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott (Erich Schlegel-USA TODAY Sports)

2. Move the pocket for Dak Prescott

You may or may not have noticed, but Dak Prescott has been somewhat erratic with some of his throws this season. I honestly believe that has a lot do with the fact he has been asked to throw out of the pocket more often this season, whereas last season he threw on the move more. I think that is what the Dallas Cowboys need to get back to and where Prescott is the most dangerous.

The Dallas Cowboys need to move the pocket for Prescott coming out of their bye week. Opposing defenses know this is where Prescott is at his best, but it's still difficult to defend. I'm hoping we see much more bootlegs, misdirection, and run/pass options (RPO's) as the season progresses. Prescott is much more accurate when he is on the move and is a threat to pull the ball down and run with it on any given play. It really puts opposing defenses in a difficult situation.

5 Bye Week Decisions the Cowboys Hopefully Made

Dallas Cowboys LG Jonathan Cooper

3. Make Jonathan Cooper the starting Left Guard

If we are being completely honest with ourselves, neither Jonathan Cooper or Chaz Green have been overly impressive as the Dallas Cowboys starting left guard so far through the first five games of the season. There is no doubt they are the weak link along the offensive line, but it's time for the Cowboys to settle on a starter and I think that is Jonathan Cooper.

I think Jonathan Cooper and Chaz Green are both on equal playing ground so far through five games, but I'm giving Cooper the advantage because he has been the more healthy of the two. If the Cowboys coaching staff wants to create continuity for the OL, then Cooper without a doubt gets the nod. Green might be the more talented player with the more upside, but he simply can't stay on the field.

DE Taco Charlton

Dallas Cowboys DE Taco Charlton (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)

4. Replace Tyrone Crawford with Taco Charlton

To say Dallas Cowboys fans have been angry about the play of Taco Charlton so far through the first five games of the 2017 season would be an understatement. He has basically been in the visible and has had very little impact. So, why on earth would the coaching staff replace Tyrone Crawford with Charlton? Well, let me try to enlighten all of you.

Tyrone Crawford has been playing ahead of Taco this season, but it has been in large part to try to help the Cowboys' porous run defense. In Week 5 against the Green Bay Packers, Crawford struggled against the run, and the Packers took full advantage of that and continuously ran the ball his direction. Crawford will also count $9.1 million against the cap next season in 2018 and likely isn't in the Cowboy's long-term plans any longer.

That is why I believe Taco Charlton needs to be promoted. He provides youth and length to the defensive line, and that something Rod Marinelli loves. The start to Charlton's NFL career has been far from promising, but added snaps could help him find his groove. It's not like Tyrone Crawford is tearing things up either. It's time to see if Charlton can provide a boost at the DE position.

S Jeff Heath

Dallas Cowboys S Jeff Heath

5. Bench Jeff Heath for Chidobe Awuzie

I think we can all agree that the Jeff Heath experiment as a starting safety should come to an end as quickly as possible. Heath has actually been one of the worst Dallas Cowboys defensive players through the first five games of the 2017 season and it's past time for a change. That is why I believe it's time to bench Jeff Heath and insert Chidobe Awuzie into his place opposite Byron Jones.

Awuzie has struggled staying healthy so far this season due to a reoccurring hamstring injury, but hopefully the extra rest in the bye week solved that problem. Awuzie the has ability to play any position in the Cowboys secondary, but I think he fits best at safety long-term. He has the size and play making ability to be an upgrade. Unfortunately, the only thing holding him back right now is his health.

Of course, fellow rookie Xavier Woods is another option, but he has already been playing really well out of the slot, so I would keep him there for now. Whether it is Chidobe Awuzie or Xavier Woods, it's time to move on from the Jeff Heath experiment as a starting safety. Hopefully the Dallas Cowboys came to that conclusion as well during the bye week.

Do you agree or disagree? Let me know what you think in the comment section below or feel free to hit me up on Twitter @BrianMartinNFL.

1. Randy Martin

October 17, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Since his arrival in Dallas I have often spoke out against Butler. Until this year he has been a disappointment in my eyes. There has been a BB bandwagon trying to leave the station since OTA’s and training camp but I’ve refused to get on it simply because a leopard seldom changes their spots. It’s easy to look at Williams, especially after that game changing bounce off the hands against GB but he still has a 76% catch ratio this year. That being said Butler has caught 8 of 11 for 207 yards and 2 TD’s. The problem is I don’t know that you can take that and substitute him for Williams and extrapolate that over the season. Butler may simply be that big play guy that does what he does and leaves you wanting more. Is it worth an experiment over a few games? Why not, something needs to change. On Taco, I think we ask and expect too much of him. It’s not his fault we took him in the first round. We knew he needed work and everybody has expected him to be a plug n play guy and he just isn’t yet. Personally I think he and Lawrence should swap sides. Taco would have a better chance against RT’s than LT’s who is usually the better player of the two. But I agree it’s time to get him in there and get the game experience. He only needs one…success begets success. It seems like everybody but the FO knows that Heath is a dime package guy and a ST guy. Whether it’s Awuzie or Woods one of them should be playing. Unless Cooper or Green can master that position Guard looks like an early priority in the draft next year. A guy like Quenton Nelson or Martez Ivey come to mind. And while we are at it, it’s time to be planning for LAD…life after Dez. He does not appear to be the game breaker he was with a team worst 43.8% catch rate. That is among the leagues worst for #1 receivers. I don’t think Db’s fear him any longer. Whether it’s these 5 or any 5 I hope they took some serious introspection during the bye week to look at changes because what they’ve been doing hasn’t been working.

October 17, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Randy, thanks for commenting. I agree with everything you said. I’m not ready to completely move on from Williams yet, but benching him for Butler might be good for him. The Cowboys could see of Butler is the better of the two, while the benching could help modifier under Williams. I would personally give it a try to see what happens.

I also agree with you about Taco. I always thought he was better as a LDE, but getting him reps on either side would be a good thing for him.I don’t think he would be any worse than Crawford, but you never know.

I think finding a left guard is a priority, but I doubt it happens in the first few rounds of the draft. A WR1 might be a bigger priority, but they also need to upgrade the LB, DE, CB, and S positions as well.

• DevilDog58

October 19, 2017 at 11:22 am

LDE would be going against their ROT, right? If so, then I whole-heartedly agree. Having ANY rookie going against team’s best pass protector week after week is just lame and a great way to destroy a rook’s confidence. As to Brice, the one thing he brings that NO other WR brings is Take-The-Top-Off speed. Even if he and Dak don’t connect on a deep pass, we should try 2-4 of them per game just to give the opposition something else to prepare for. The more looks/plays you throw at a team the more they have to spend valuable practice time covering them. To me that’s much smarter than the over confident practice of letting a team know EXACTLY what you’re going to do every week like running the ball and saying, “This is what we’re gonna do, now try and stop us.” Or just using the same pass plays and formations each week. Garrett and Linehan need to open up or expand the playbook not just for the opposing team’s detriment but for Dak’s benefit. He’s a second year pro now and with his brains there’s no doubt in my mind he can handle it. Plus, let the guy run the ball when he’s wide open. They obviously didn’t learn from Romo taking a beating trying to stay in the pocket when he was younger and getting the sh*t kicked out of him. If you remember, he was a fair scrambler when he was younger but was never close to Dak’s ability to create in that sense, not to mention Dak has tree-trunk legs and resembles Cam’s whereas Tony was more in the mold of Roger but they took that option away from him, just like they’re doing to Dak. At least when a QB is running he can slide or run out of bounds to protect himself vice standing tall in the pocket when no one is open and having a 4.5, 250 lb. LB running full speed and just laying the wood on a stationary target. It’s every defensive player’s dream scenario while watching a QB run for a first down when your Secondary has shutdown all his receiving options is not only frustrating but can be downright disheartening.

• Russ_Te

October 18, 2017 at 10:32 am

“It’s not his fault we took him in the first round”

Hilarious…

;^)

2. Hobbes49

October 17, 2017 at 2:26 pm

I agree with 4 of the 5 observations completely, and see your point on the Taco over Crawford. To me the Heath change is a stone cold no brainer, I will be truly mystified if they don’t change to either Woods or Chido. Cooper has looked a little better each week, and you hope the osmosis of playing with the other studs continues to develop, as does the line continuity, which is critical. Butler definitely has earned more reps, and Dak has shown how downright dangerous he is on the move, so that seems a no brainer as well. Taco needs more consistent snaps,but I don’t don’t believe the staff is going to make that happen. If they won’t replace Heath, no way they replace Crawford. Hopefully they will do both. Time for change has arrived, and your suggestions are solid!!

October 17, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Yeah, I kind of doubt the Cowboys replace Crawford with Taco either. They seem to stick with their veteran players too long, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they start increasing Taco’s reps. I actually think Taco could be just as good, if not better than Crawford as he grows more comfortable with what he’s asked to do. Only time will tell though.

• Hobbes49

October 17, 2017 at 3:00 pm

You drafted him in the first round, you really have to give the guy a legit shot. To me, this is partly the failure of the coaching staff to get him ready to go as well. We shall see what happens.

October 17, 2017 at 3:14 pm

I don’t mind him being in a rotation as a rookie, but even in the rotation he is not seen very many snaps. I think that should change.

3. DevilDog58

October 17, 2017 at 9:10 pm

I have to say that I pretty much agree with you in this article. The way the team is playing now we’ll never see the post season. First off for me is Heath. He has been absolutely dreadful and his terrible play is affecting the whole D. I’ve also never been a big fan of the huge contract they gave Crawford. He has never played well enough to rate such big bucks. As a number one pick, Taco needs to be put in a position to suceed, wherever that is on the D-Line. I also agree with giving Butler more chances for the ball since Williams seems to have disappeared this year, much like he did when Dez was injured in years past. Dez has lost something although I am not sure what it is. I don’t think it’s a step as he’s never been a burner. It really could correlate directly to Linehan’s penchant for trying to keep Dak in the pocket instead of letting him do what he does so well which is throw on the run or tuck and run or juse roll out and create. Why anyone wants to take the nightmare of facing that possibility away from opposing DCs is beyond me. The OL has struggled but I think with continuity (as you pointed out) they’ll be OK. One thing no one is talking about is the fact that Witten is finally showing his age. One of the greatest TEs of all time seems to have lost two steps, plus he’s either not sitting down in the seam past the first down markers like he used to and he’s actually dropped a couple of passes. Again, this also could be traced back to the head-scratching move of reining Prescott in. I’d also offer up the fact we just aren’t using our players that we’re drafting in the ways they should be used. Instead of just returning punts, Ryan Switzer should be another Danny Amendola or Cole Beasley (which is another player who seems to have disappeared). I’m kinda wondering what’s going on with our OC and why or run defense has gotten so bad so quickly while we finally found a pass rush(er). I knew there would be growing pains on defense but this has just been a strange season. Yet, I will stay eternally optimistic until I know we’re done.

• Hammer33

October 18, 2017 at 7:58 am

This isn’t the first time I’ve read someone say Heath’s play has effected the entire defense, and in defense of Heath this is absolutely absurd. First let’s deal in facts, them opinion.

Heath’s ranking is often stated. I’m assuming this comes from PFF since that’s the only place that publishes rankings. But up until LA they had him in the top 30. He played well against Green Bay, but that seems to have been overlooked by many here and on fan blogs.

What PFF doesn’t seem to track are targets and completions per target. Wonder what that grade would be for Brown or scandrick. Even jones who has real trouble with zone concepts and that’s troubling for a safety.

You’d also need to know the coverage calls which seems to be tough for the press. An example being the TD against AZ, which everyone said Heath should have been on top of. That wasn’t the call, and if brown wasn’t going to honor Fitzgerald then Heath had to. They were in quarters if you didn’t know. Judging by most of what’s written, I’m going to assume you don’t.

Chido proved Sunday he can miss a tackle in the open field as well a Heath. Nothings said. Jones is not where he’s supposed to be on the Nelson TD, nothings said. Brown?? Nothings said.

So heaths had a couple of coverage mistakes, but not as many as people believe, missed a few tackles, as has everyone on D, including Lee, and generally played better than or worse than everyone else. But let’s name him the culprit. Everyone else gets a pass.

If you choose to have an opinion try to be fair. That doesn’t seem possible with Heath. I’ve read the press and I’ve followed the entire D. I know some about the game. I also know when someone’s getting the shaft. Not only from the fans but the press as well. If you think anything I’ve said is untrue may I suggest you take another look. Especially the coverage lapse’s. Aside from the Two or possibly 3 man errors, like falling down, wait, didn’t Lewis do that in Denver too? You’ll find he’s been solid on the back end. Sacks are caused by coverage too. Doubt heaths guy or zone was open but the QB didn’t see it.

And by the way. Woods has looked good in a very limited man/zone window. He’s being protected in coverage. That’s why he’s not in front of Heath. He’s not better.

But of course, what do coaches know.

• DevilDog58

October 18, 2017 at 10:53 am

How you came up with me laying the entire blame of the Defense’s poor play entirely on Heath makes me think you read the first few sentences of my post and stopped. I said it AFFECTS the entire Day just as any other player’s poor play affects the entire D. I don’t go by what PFF or any other ranking organization writes, I go by what I observe when watching the games. Except for Lee and Lawrence, nobody on the D is beyond reproach. And since I don’t know what each player’s responsibility is on every play, I can’t speak to that. Only the coaches can, IMO. All I’m observing is a lack of a nose for the ball. Heath, whatever his responsibilities on a given play does not demonstrate one. Sure, even Lee misses tackles, but not often. I don’t come on here to argue with anyone or start fights, just give my opinion on what I see which I freely admit doesn’t make me right. We do have a young Defense and Lee is a young guy (at 26) but I’ve yet to see him play a dominant game like Lee in the 4+ years he’s been playing. Still, there’s plenty of blame to go around. I’m just saying the same thing I’ve been saying for years and that is that we need two good to outstanding Safeties in the Backfield.

• Michael Barthel

October 18, 2017 at 1:42 pm

He really just took up for heath. Wow heath is terrible always has been had a couple good games and plays then all of sudden he should be starting and church gone. Church was so underrated and I miss church he is balling in Jacksonville. Woods and Jones need to start at safety. Lewis and scandrick start at corner. They should go out and sign perry riley Jr to help the linebackers he’s a good run stopper and been a good player in this league. Carr Claiborne and church all left and are playing better than their replacements here in Dallas. We always screw up on defense with draft picks n stuff on defense. Gregory was a mistake. Claiborne couldn’t stay healthy and we traded a decent amount to move up to get him. Marquez white needs to be brought up from the practice squad dude only gave up 2 tds at Florida State. He’s tall physical corner we need that right now. We need to go sign Darrelle Revis or a proven veteran to help these young corners. Scandrick is not helping the way we thought. It’s time to see a big change with this defense us fans are tired of seeing this defense get man handled every week. We haven’t had a respectable defense in 10 years plus. Marinelli is the problem and I don’t think he is with us next year

• DevilDog58

October 18, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Yeah, I see what you’re saying about his sticking up for Heath, I guess I just don’t get why. I thought Church started well at Safety but then slowed down. But you are right, like so many other Defensive players we draft they seem to thrive once they’re on different teams/under different management/coaching. I always liked Marinelli but maybe the game HAS passed him by. I don’t know. I was pissed when they let go of Mike Zimmer, who I always knew was an excellent coach. Look at how he’s turned around the Vikes. I think Jerry and Co. blamed him for his porous defenses but it turned out he was coaching the crap out of some pretty average players (mixed with a few good to very good ones) as we found out. I believe the same situation exists today. I keep getting the feeling that we’re good at drafting Offensive players but not so successful at drafting Defensive players. And I’m not sure it’s the Coaching Staff as much as it is the owner/GM staff. It seems since Jerry and Jimmy broke up Jones has created a losing atmosphere much like the Redsocks and Cubs had for years. The same situation seems to exist in Cleveland. It could be the only answer is new ownership and we all know that will NEVER happen.

• Michael Barthel

October 18, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Also because Garrett is a offensive minded coach. I was pissed when Zimmer left as well but they should of moved wade Phillips to dc instead of completely firing him. Garrett is an average coach if that. 4 8-8 seasons. 1 4-12 and 2 seasons with 12 plus wins. 1 playoff win. I mean we can’t have that at all. They love picking offensive players but every year you hear analyst say well they have a great offense but I’m worried about that defense. Every single year. They think oh well if we control the ball 35 minutes a game we will win alot of games I understand that but what happens when a team shuts you down like Denver did and you can’t do anything on offense well your defense suffers and gives up points. We have given up 34 plus points in the 3 losses this year. If they ever want to win anything you need a good defense. Even new England last year had a pretty good defense. Also Seattle Carolina Denver Atlanta Kansas city etc. Have all proved you need a defense to make it far in this league. To much pressure on dak Elliott dez and this offensive line. When u have a good defense you can say oh ok well we didn’t get it done that drive but our defense won’t allow them to score. When our defense goes on the field it’s oh damn here we go there going to score and were going to lose. It’s not good and if Garrett finishes with 8 or less wins this season we need a new coach. I’m so sick of his damn hand clapping when things go wrong. If you are scoring 30 plus points at home you should not lose period. Marinelli Garrett and linehan should all be fired if we finish with less than 8 wins and be average

• DevilDog58

October 18, 2017 at 8:42 pm

I feel just like you do on so many of these topics. A team with a great defense and a decent offense can win a SB. A team with a great offense and a decent defense probably won’t. A team with a great D and a very good offense like ours could win multiple SB’s. I think Jerry is trying to keep coaching continuity, which is a good idea, as long as you improve each year. It’s not such a great idea when the team yo-yo’s constantly, season after season. Bottom line is you and I are right: to be a consistent SB contender you MUST have a great defense, period. If we had the same picks Cleveland has had for the past 8 or so years I think we’d be in a SB. They keep changing Head Coaches which is why I think they aren’t. Jones has tried to avoid that but it’s not working. It too Coach Landry 11 years to win a championship. But his teams improved each year, ESPECIALLY after he drafted Staubach in the last round of the draft.

• Hammer33

October 21, 2017 at 4:16 am

• Russ_Te

October 18, 2017 at 10:46 am

I used to think Taco would end up at DT because of the players ahead of him at LDE. But he seems to have trimmed up since draft day, and with Lawrence now the anchor at LDE, it’s best to use Irving next to him at LDT. You can’t double both of them, and that should result in more pressures.

Which leaves Taco looking for a role. I agree he’s probably not a downgrade from Crawford at RDE, but I would be shocked if he could beat starting LOT’s with any regularity as a pass rusher.

He has straight-line burst but not much first-step, and less agile than Lawrence to my reading. You’d like to use his arm span to obstruct throwing lanes. I think this year is a bust for Taco, and he should bulk up to move inside for 2018.

• DevilDog58

October 18, 2017 at 4:29 pm

I would like to see them trying flip-flopping Taco and Lawrence. I thought I read somewhere that Taco’s natural position is RDE. Whatever it is the Cowboys need to find it fast and put that kid in a position to succeed. It takes an extremely tough minded man to be labeled a bust and then come back from that and play at a Pro Bowl level (which is what you want from ALL1st round picks. Didn’t he play DE at Michigan? Was he called a “Tweener” or what they are now calling an “Edge” player when he came out? After thinking about my last post above, I’m more and more concerned about our coaching staff putting players in their correct or “best chance to succeed” spots.

• Russ_Te

October 19, 2017 at 9:57 am

Right, DE at Michigan. He only started as a senior according to his Wikipedia page. Taco is definitely looking like a reach now as a #1, but probably has enough physical attributes to develop a game at LDE or inside at DT. He just has to tune out the noise and keep working IMO. If Lawrence is not re-signed, he’ll get a chance at LDE.

• DevilDog58

October 19, 2017 at 11:49 am

Thanks Russ. Appreciate the help. I definitely think they should be putting this kid against the weaker pass-protectors the DL faces each week (if they’re not already). To me, building a rookie’s confidence is the best thing a team can do for him. He should be playing opposite DeMarcus for as many snaps as is feasible every week IMO.

4. Jerry Norman

October 19, 2017 at 3:00 am

cheeto

Star Blog

2018 In Review: Byron Jones Emerges As CB1

Byron Jones

Heading into the 2018 season Byron Jones was being asked to prove himself. The former first round pick had fallen out of the coaches' good graces during his third season, though many of his struggles could be attributed to those very coaches which were then questioning his ability.

Being asked to play out of position, or at least in a spot which did not maximize his natural ability, Jones struggled in 2017. Too often he was playing in the box as a safety where his lack of physicality was exposed by the opponent's run game. This was mostly due to the coaching staff falling in love with his tight-end-erasing ability in man coverage, but backfired when overused as a safety.

Once hired the following offseason, Kris Richard and company decided to move Byron Jones to cornerback full time, allowing him to utilize his excellent coverage skills and athletic ability to the fullest, rather than putting him at a disadvantage in the box.

The results? Well, Jones had one of the best seasons of any cornerback in football, earning All Pro and Pro Bowl honors for the first time in his young career.

Pro Football Focus on Twitter

Byron Jones had a dominant season for Dallas

Pro Football Focus graded Jones as the sixth best cornerback in all of football last season, allowing just 0.79 yards per coverage snap. Despite not having an interception on the season, Jones still earned national recognition as one of the best cornerbacks in the entire league.

Down the stretch of the season, Chidobe Awuzie started to play up to the level which fans had hoped for during the preseason. He had been sticky in coverage most of the year, but now he was making plays on the ball at a much better rate, forcing incompletions. This led to an increase in targets to Jones' side, and though the increase resulted in more catches given up by the number one cornerback, I don't think Jones' play faltered as much as some will have you believe.

The fact is, when you get targeted more you are bound to give up more catches and yards. The key is to force them into contested catches, and make things as difficult for the receiver as possible when targeted.

Byron Jones continued to do this all season long, and fans should be excited for the next step of his growth in 2019.

Star Blog

Cowboys en Español: Comentando el Tope Salarial

Time to Stop Making Excuses for QB Dak Prescott?

Por muchos años, el tema del tope salarial ha sido un tema sensible para los Dallas Cowboys. Entre dinero muerto y otros problemas, el equipo ha tenido una situación delicada en este aspecto. Sin embargo, para la temporada del 2019 tienen más espacio de lo que estamos acostumbrados.

Según Over The Cap, los Cowboys tendrán aproximadamente 48 millones de dólares disponibles en 2019. Es importante recalcar que este número no es definitivo y puede cambiar. Año tras año, esta administración ha sido aficionada de reestructurar los contratos de ciertos veteranos para liberar espacio salarial constantemente. Además de esto, hay varios jugadores bajo contrato que el equipo podría decidir cortar para liberar aún más dinero.

Al ver sólo 48 millones disponibles, es complicado imaginar un escenario en que el equipo logre satisfacer todos sus objetivos. Hay bastantes candidatos a grandes extensiones en el equipo, principalmente dos jugadores. En una liga en la que quarterback es la posición más importante, la segunda más importante podría ser la del caza cabezas, cuyo objetivo es ir tras el quarterback contrario.

DeMarcus Lawrence, Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks

Pues en Dallas, hoy dos  jugadores en estas posiciones que hay que extender. El más urgente sin duda es el defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. Lawrence se puso el jersey del equipo cuando este lo designó a jugar bajo la etiqueta franquicia. Afortunadamente, el atleta de 26 años la hizo de soldado y jugó sin amenazar con faltar a entrenamientos ni pretemporada.

Lo que sí comentó es que no pasaría por lo mismo en 2019. Ahora, el momento está aquí y es tiempo de que los Cowboys lo extiendan. El valor de Lawrence es difícil de predecir, pero es bastante seguro que se acercará a los números de Khalil Mack. Mack hizo historia ganando un contrato que en promedio gana 23.5 millones al año. Si bien no anticiparía que lo supere, la cifra estará cerca al contrato del defensivo de los Chicago Bears.

Además está Dak Prescott, cuyo contrato probablemente estará por encima de los 25 millones anuales. Son contratos caros, pero son piezas fundamentales para el equipo. Definitivamente se les tiene que pagar a ambos. Son pilares que año tras año buscan equipos en toda la NFL.

Además de esto, Amari Cooper, Ezekiel Elliott, Cole Beasley y más podrían tener un impacto en el tope salarial. Algunos buscan un contrato nuevo, otros una extensión. Pero honestamente, me parece que habrá más espacio en el tope salarial de lo que pensamos. Sólo es cuestión de tiempo para que los Cowboys comiencen a reestructurar a sus veteranos para ahorrarse unos cuantos millones para utilizar en agencia libre.

Tyron Smith, Tyrone Crawford entre otros pueden ser buenas opciones para comenzar este proceso. Antes era Jason Witten uno de los candidatos favoritos para este proceso, pero él ya se encuentra comentando partidos para ESPN. En Inside The Star, continuaremos actualizándote con contenido al día de los Dallas Cowboys.

Tell me what you think about "Cowboys en Español: Comentando el Tope Salarial" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!

Star Blog

Can the Cowboys Become Legitimate NFC Conference Contenders this Offseason?

Can the Cowboys Become Legitimate NFC Conference Contenders this Offseason? 2

Super Bowl LIII is in the books, and the Dallas Cowboys can look back on a better-than-expected 2018 campaign. Having won the NFC East with a 10-6 record and bowing out to eventual finalists Los Angeles Rams, the Cowboys' young team can look ahead to 2019 as a chance to take another step forward.

The offseason is now upon us, with the NFL free agency period opening in the middle of March and the NFL Draft coming around at the end of April. Until those times, experts, pundits, and fans are left to assess their teams and predict their activities in the running to the start of next season.

The Dallas Cowboys are in a precarious position, with the team exceeding expectations, still being very young and having plenty of cap space, but also having many top-end players set to become free agents and being without a first-round pick in this year’s draft. There does, however, appear to be a way for the team to make improvements and solidify their place atop the NFC East and potentially go on to win in the Conference Finals.

Lock Down the Big Guns

Can the Cowboys Become Legitimate NFC Conference Contenders this Offseason?

@Randy81MossRetires, via Twitter

Many see DeMarcus Lawrence as the top potential free agent this spring, so the Dallas Cowboys need to do everything in their power to lock down the 26-year-old defensive end.

Vice President Stephen Jones has emphasized the team’s target of retaining their own stars, per Star-Telegram, with Lawrence, Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper, Ezekiel Elliott, and perhaps Byron Jones being in the discussion for long-term deals.

As it stands, the team will have roughly $48.5 million in cap space for next season, which leaves plenty of space to re-sign their top players. They look set to let go of Tavon Austin, David Irving, and quite possibly Cole Beasley, among others, leaving a need to add reinforcements.

Adding New Talent

Can the Cowboys Become Legitimate NFC Conference Contenders this Offseason? 1

@brkicks, via Twitter

One of the most heavily rumored moves for Dallas in this free agency is picking up native Texan and former Legion of Boom linchpin Earl Thomas, per Forbes.

Against the Rams in the playoffs and throughout the season, the Cowboys lacked a defenseman who could make plays on the pass. Thomas is one of the notorious ball hawks in the league, boasting 28 career interceptions, three of which came in just four games of last season.

If the Cowboys can re-sign their stars while keeping some space for an Earl Thomas-sized contract, which clocked in at $10.4 million in 2018 for the Seattle Seahawks, their odds of going all the way next season will significantly increase.

Right now, the expected names of the New England Patriots and Kansas City Chiefs lead the odds to win the next Super Bowl at +750. Behind them, the Rams sit at +900 having suffered a suffocating defeat in this year’s Super Bowl. Much further down are the Cowboys at +2500 right now with redbet. If they re-sign Lawrence, pay their young stars, and bring in Thomas, they’ll shoot up the table of favorites.

Then, there’s also the additions in the draft to consider.

The Cowboys may be without a first-round selection, but that may end up working in their favor. Round one of the 2019 NFL Draft is set to be laden with defensive selections according to most mock drafts, with a few quarterbacks sprinkled around and a minimal selection of offensive weapons. If the Cowboys re-sign Lawrence, they’ll be looking good at defensive end, so should then turn to giving Prescott another weapon in the passing game, which will also help to keep defenses honest and give Elliott more room to operate.

As stated, the NFL is a passing league, and Prescott exploded once he was given a viable option in Amari Cooper. Michael Gallup is expected to take another step forward next season, but just in case, the Cowboys can add another strong receiving option in the draft thanks to the strength of the defensive class. A.J. Brown of Ole Miss will almost certainly go in the first round, but exciting talents in D.K. Metcalf, Parris Campbell, Marquise Brown, and Deebo Samuel could all still be available when Dallas rings in during the second round.

Improving Dallas' pass options and pass defense will go a long way toward improving the team and allowing them to push on to a bigger and better campaign in 2019.