Player News

Is Byron Jones A Victim Of Poor Coaching?

Byron Jones saw a decrease in playing time last week against the Washington Redskins after the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff decided to shake things up in their secondary. I know a lot of you would say that it's about time, but I would have to disagree.

A lot of Cowboys Nation have been calling for the demotion of Byron Jones for a long time now. I don't know how many times I've seen or read that the Cowboys 2015 first-round draft pick is a bust and doesn't deserve to be starting. This is something I would disagree with 100% and I'll tell you why.

I personally believe that Byron Jones has the talent to become a Pro Bowl player, but the coaching staff for the Dallas Cowboys have done him a disservice. I would even go as far as saying that he has become a victim of poor coaching.

I don't know about you, but I was really excited when the Dallas Cowboys drafted Byron Jones in the 2015 NFL Draft with their first-round selection. I believed Jones had the talent and athleticism to come in and become an immediate starter. Unfortunately, the coaching staff failed to utilize his skill set properly and have continued to do so.

DB Byron Jones

(Ashley Landis/The Dallas Morning News)

The problem started from the get-go. The Dallas Cowboys didn't have Jones focus on one position as a rookie, instead experimented with him at nearly every position in the secondary. In 2015 as a rookie, Byron Jones played cornerback, safety, and a little dime linebacker. He played well considering everything he had his plate, which left Cowboys fans wanting more.

In 2016, the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff decided to move Jones to free safety as the full-time starter next to Barry Church. Even though this was probably the right move at the time, the coaching staff still probably wasn't playing to his strengths.

The Cowboys had Byron Jones play a lot of man-to-man against tight ends in 2016 instead of taking advantage of his range and athleticism as a deep safety. That is really Jones' best trait as a defensive back, but we still haven't seen him in that role.

That brings us to the present where Byron Jones just saw a decrease in playing time. And unfortunately, this season the Cowboys coaching staff are asking #31 to take over the strong safety role previously held down by Barry Church.

Byron JonesThis is possibly the worst thing they could have done to Byron Jones. He is at his best when he is in coverage where he can use his rare athleticism to his advantage. As a strong safety, the Cowboys are asking him to play around on a scrimmage more and be a physical player, arguably his worst trait.

That is why we have seen Kavon Frazier receive more playing time at Byron Jones' expense. Frazier's biggest strength is his physicality. He is basically another linebacker when on the field.

For Byron Jones to finally live up to his draft status, the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff is going to have to use him correctly. They either need to move him back to cornerback full-time or make him a single high safety where he can use his range and athleticism. Until then, he will likely continue to be the whipping boy for the majority of Cowboys fans.

Do you think Byron Jones is a victim of poor coaching?

1. ed Frank

December 6, 2017 at 8:35 am

I have been saying the same thing since the end of last season. Jones is well suited to play CB. He had the size and athleticism to match up against the taller WR in the league. In a division that has Marshall, Jeffries and Doctson this is a very good thing.
    I also believe they have three guys who have the natural ability to excel at saftey in Awuzie, Woods and Frazier. Frazier would be a good nickel SS and dime package LB. Woods FS and Awuzie SS. Jones and Lewis CB. Move Lewis to the slot in nickel and dime packages and Awuzie to CB.
    I think that unlike Jones, Chidobe would not suffer with the position flex.

December 6, 2017 at 8:45 am

I would agree with you for the most part, but I think I would keep Awuzie at CB. I like him and Jones as the Cowboys outside CBs with Lewis in the slot. That gives you two boundary corners with size and athleticism.

• Mike C

December 6, 2017 at 4:03 pm

You dont move awuzie, you trying to do him like byron? Anyway awuzie is a better corner. Right now jones would be our slot corner or have him compete with lewis. We need a true FS our SS this upcoming draft along with a big DT, and either start butler with dez or draft a speedy receiver. They mishandled byron though byron and awuzie would be a great tandem but that ship has sailed.

December 6, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Mike, I don’t think the Cowboys are done evaluating the secondary. I think moving Byron Jones back to CB is a real possibility. It might not be this season, but I think it’s something that will definitely look at in the off-season. And I think they need to draft another safety and receiver. Butler is gone after the season for sure.

• Michael Barthel

December 8, 2017 at 11:51 am

I think they should move Jones to corner cuz then you would have awuzie Lewis Jones brown and call up white next year. Young but very good corner group. Then have Frazier and woods at safety. Then either draft or sign a safety in free agency i.e Kenny Vacarro. Then you don’t have to go into the draft wasting a pick on corner unless he is absolutely worth taking and can’t pass on him bpa kind of thing. You can then focus on the real needs. Awuzie Lewis and Jones corner. Woods Frazier safety. Brown and white can rotate in. If we lose any of these next 2 or 3 games I would bring Marquez white up and see what he can do cuz if the boy can ball out at this level you could have white Lewis awuzie and brown as your 4 corners

2. oneputter

December 6, 2017 at 9:09 am

absolutely not! jones is a bust no other way to say it. he cannot cover TE’s, he is consistently beat by the biggest and slowest of TE’s. just watch any game and he is usually the one hanging onto the TE’s waist while the TE end catches a TD pass…..

fundamentally he’s not there. you can see it the poor angles he always takes, you can see it how he tackles, you can see it when he covers. he is not a physical player, he does not bring the punch to the opponent he sits back and waits for the runner to come to him.

everyone talks about moving him to corner, he can’t cover TE’s how can we expect him to cover crowder, jeffery, beckham, marshall or any of the wr’s in this league. there is a reason this staff hasn’t played him at corner when we’ve been in need of corners.

i would move on from him, we have our corners and we should go after one of the ‘bama safeties in the draft.

December 6, 2017 at 9:47 am

I knew there would be at least one person who would disagree with me. I however believe Byron Jones has done pretty well considering how the coaching staff have used him. I think he would be much better at CB, but that’s something we might not be able to determine here in Dallas. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he signs somewhere else and excels.

• oneputter

December 6, 2017 at 11:00 am

he’s made a few plays on occasion, he’s has not played to his first round status. i just don’t see that he has the ability to cover.

December 6, 2017 at 11:14 am

I just think it’s really hard to tell what kind of player we have in Byron Jones because the Cowboys have moved him around so much. He hasn’t been able to play one position since being drafted. I think if he was able to focus on CB, we would see that athletic ability take over. But, that probably won’t happen unless we get a new defensive coordinator.

• Michael Barthel

December 6, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Like I said before I wanted Landon Collins who went 6 picks after Jones. Jones would be a good corner and that’s where he should be. Awuzie Jones and Lewis at corner. Woods and Frazier safety. Draft a safety and corner. Sign a safety and corner. Let competition play out. I want to see Marquez white

December 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm

I was torn between Landon Collins and Byron Jones. I was going to be happy with whichever one of them they decided to draft. I actually liked Jones better because of his versatility, but the coaching staff have failed to use him correctly. I think a new defensive coordinator would do wonders for not only Byron Jones, but the entire defense. And yes, I think they need to draft a safety, maybe another corner.

• pdstix78

December 7, 2017 at 9:47 am

I don’t see how Meltdown Marinelli’s gotten off the hook the past few years. Beginning with the game against Peyton in ‘13, 26-7 against GB minus #12, a few blowouts then and in 2015, dropping the ball against GB in the playoffs last year, getting blown out multiple times this year. Any other DC would have been GONE by now

• Michael Barthel

December 8, 2017 at 11:53 am

Yeah but have you seen Collins versatility. Dude had 5 sacks and I want to say 5 picks last year. Dude can play all over the secondary except maybe not corner. I really wanted Collins

• pdstix78

December 7, 2017 at 9:32 am

You want to see Marquez like I wanna see Noah Brown….

• Michael Barthel

December 8, 2017 at 11:55 am

Yeah got nothing to lose by putting a combo of dez brown and Beasley on the field together. I like Noah Brown but my college team in Florida State so I watched alot of Marquez White dude only allowed 2 tds in his 2 seasons starting

• pdstix78

December 7, 2017 at 9:30 am

He’s only played a handful of snaps @ corner. If somebody had sense to say, “OK, you’re our man on the outside” he’d be fine. Question: What have the other corners shown besides getting flagged multiple times a game and the inability to track the football???

• pdstix78

December 7, 2017 at 9:26 am

I’m glad SOMEONE see the light. I absolutely agree the coaching staff has done him a disservice in having him out of position, especially when the pressing need when he was drafted was CB. And to have him to line up in the box?!?! Marinelli needs to be slapped with the clipboard

• John McClain

December 6, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Actually Byron Jones was actually able to cover Gronk one on one so personally I agree Jones as a free safety with strong safety being Woods and/or Frazier. CB Awuzie Lewis Brown and Scandrick as the 4th corner. These kids will all grow to make the defense be a strength

December 6, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Byron Jones has done a good job covering TEs in one-on-one situations. I think fans are down on him because he doesn’t create a lot of turnovers.

• pdstix78

December 7, 2017 at 9:23 am

I’m sure they’ll see results with him @ corner…..

3. Jose Jacobo

December 6, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Byron can’t tackle horrible looks like he is scared to hit. Has made plays but also gives up plays hes ok

December 6, 2017 at 12:22 pm

He’s never been a very physical player, which is why I find it strange the Cowboys moved him to safety. If they would’ve played him as a deep safety where they could utilize his range and athletic ability, that would’ve been okay. But, they are asking him to play more strong safety this season. I think he would be best at CB. He is more than physical enough to play there.

• pdstix78

December 7, 2017 at 9:48 am

It’s almost like asking Deion to play safety….

4. D Reyes

December 6, 2017 at 12:44 pm

The problem in your analysis is that Byron has no range to be a single high safety even Heath does that better and he cant cover. He does not excel as a cb and actually plays better at safety. He was always considered to be a mid round pick because of his inability to cover with his back against the ball. Watch any of his college tape. Everyone fell in love with his athleticism and that is why he was a late 1st round pick nothing more.

December 6, 2017 at 1:16 pm

I personally had emigrated as a late 1st/early 2nd round draft pick in 2015. So, he was selected about where I thought it would be. I don’t think Jeff Heath is better in coverage, so I would have to disagree with you. I think a new coaching staff for no how to utilize his skill set better instead of having him play a position that doesn’t suit him.

5. Hoosiers86

December 6, 2017 at 12:47 pm

I think Byron Jones is a good player, and can play many positions. However, I do not think he should be starting. I think Awuzie and Lewis at CB’s, and use Scandrick in the slot. Frazier, Woods, and Heath can be the FS,SS. Jones can be the guy that fills in for injury. Maybe he has played out of position, but he clearly has not looked like he has earned any of the spots on a permanent basis. Being a great athelete does not make you a good football player.

December 6, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I think Byron Jones has looked bad because of how the coaching staff has used him. He’s been playing out of position pretty much since he arrived in Dallas. I would personally have Jones and Awuzie starting at the outside CB positions with Lewis in the slot.

• Hoosiers86

December 6, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Jones plays too slow to be a starting corner. He may run fast in a drill, but he is not football fast. Just my eyes, and I respect your opinion.

December 6, 2017 at 3:58 pm

That could be true. It’s really hard to judge his play because he’s playing out of position.

6. Rodney Lawhon

December 6, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Its not always where they want you to play it’s where you the player plays at his best position ! Other coaches aren’t always right they mistakes too, but they would remember play the player where he plays best, move him around if necessary but make sure he has mastered his first position. Now the rookies, vets. came together as a team last game they should be able to win! they know what it takes now its one game at a time don’t be caught looking ahead loose your focus. Old Cowboy’s fan !!!!

December 6, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Rodney, you’re exactly right. The coaching staff has been using Byron Jones where they need him instead of the position he might play best. Hopefully they continue to shake things up the secondary in order to find the best starting unit though.

7. Daniel Burney

December 6, 2017 at 1:54 pm

all the athleticism and range in the world doesnt make you a CB! if its obvious that he cant cover, then safety is the position for him we dont need cb’s that tackle 2 yards past the 1st down stick, or in the endzone! we need cb’s that can keep receivers from catching the ball!

December 6, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Daniel, I don’t think I’ve seen so many exclamation points used in one comment before LOL. I’m going to disagree with you though. We really haven’t seen Byron Jones play much CB since joining the Cowboys. I believe he would thrive there given the chance to focus on playing one position.

• David Moore

December 6, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Respect your opinion but strongly disagree. BJ has the ability to cover and do it a a very high level. Last year when we were down couple of corners he moved in the slot position to cover bolden for the tigers and was very successful. Fast forward to this season larry Fitzgerald torched us in the first half being guarded by scandrick. In the second half BJ played the slot against Fitz and again
      All but shut him down. He can play the position. Also I might add better than brown or lewis at this point. I do not trust this coaching staff. Remember this is the same coating staff that said jalen Ramsey is not,a corner in this,league but a,safety and now we see he has already become the best young corner and a top 5 corner in this league in my opinion. So I say try him at the other corner opposite chido and let him play.

December 6, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Very well said David. The coaching staff are playing several players out of position. Byron Jones is just one example.

• Michael Barthel

December 8, 2017 at 12:00 pm

I love Ezekiel Elliott he is probably the best back in this league with Johnson and bell but I wanted jalen Ramsey and we could of gotten Jordan Howard in the 4th or 5th round. Or Dallas could of taken a running back when we really needed one the year David Johnson and David Cobb and them guys but we said nope let’s run with Randle and McFadden. If we would of just taken one that year and taken Ramsey we would have one of the best corners in the league and wether it was David Johnson or Howard we would still have a formidable duo there. Just think a secondary with Jones Ramsey scandrick awuzie and Lewis.

8. Chimmy Changa

December 6, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Hi Brian. I say forget all these minor issues and start focusing on when a transgender will be a DC cheerleader. 8)

December 6, 2017 at 4:00 pm

For all I know, it could’ve already happened. You never know nowadays.

• Chimmy Changa

December 6, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Let’s hope not.

• Chimmy Changa

December 6, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Also, if the official website of the DC’s could find a way to get Taylor off of any speaking roles, that would be wonderful.

9. Cowboysdude

December 6, 2017 at 4:38 pm

That entire team is product of bad coaching……They have NO ability to develop players and in the last 7 years the “HC” has wasted one good team on his way to wasting his second. YET the owner is as blind as a bat.

December 6, 2017 at 4:57 pm

I can’t disagree with that. I’m hoping Stephen Jones is starting to take over a little bit more, but I don’t know if he will be any better than JJ.

• Michael Barthel

December 8, 2017 at 12:02 pm

He is the reason we have gotten out of cap issues. He also the reason we have the best guard in football and not a wasted first round qb that was a huge bust

10. Roger Johnson

December 6, 2017 at 10:30 pm

You guys can go on and on about where this player and that player will excel. That is what we do as fans. However, it’s just our opinion, and we don’t have to be right. Our coaching staff has to get it right!

Unfortunately, our coaching staff and ownership in my opinion aren’t very good at what they do. Don’t take my word for it, just look at the body of work. Garrett up until this point has only won more than 8 games twice. He should have been fired. Marenelli coached a team to an 0-16 record. Neither coach, especially Garrett is any good at making adjustments. Both Garrett and Marenelli are stubborn to a fault.

The two seasons that Garrett won more than 8 games, is when everything was perfect for us. Whenever things don’t go our way, and he has to put on his coaching hat….forget about it! The reason why we can’t achieve back to back winning seasons is this organization doesn’t think that the team has to get better every year at “ALL ” positions! This coaching staff will never get us to the next level in my opinion. And as long as Marenelli is Def coordinator, this is what we will get every year. No matter who is in the secondary.

Until this coaching staff is gone! You will never get the best out of any player on our defense. Just one fans opinion.

• Michael Barthel

December 8, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Yeah but schedule has alot to do with that too last year was a easier schedule cuz we finished last in division just like the eagles are enjoying a easy ass schedule right now but when they finally played a contender they folded up. They have beaten 1 team with a winning record. Happens every year you are either a product of your schedule or you really are that good and have back to back winning seasons. I do not disagree I think Garrett is terrible and cannot make adjustments but I’m also the conspiracy guy it’s awfully funny Jerry threatens to sue league and we lose Elliott and lee and all sudden can’t do anything at all and get blown completely out all at home. Then Jerry says he no longer suing the nfl and boom Dallas plays at high level on all 3 levels and smashes the skins. 34 quarters without our defensive line being held. There just to much that happens in the NFL that makes you think c’mon there’s no way. I mean 9/11 happens then all sudden new England can’t be beaten and have 17 straight seasons with 10 or more wins but yet the greatest coach of all time got fired by Cleveland. Tom Brady who barely even played in college becomes greatest qb of all time. Patriotism…… I love football and always will but sometimes these conspiracy theories makes sense and start to make you think lol

11. billy jack

December 7, 2017 at 1:30 am

we do not have enough talent on defensive side for Jones to excel.

12. Michael Barthel

December 8, 2017 at 11:43 am

May be wishful thinking but think about this Brian. Dallas goes and picks up Kenny Vacarro to have him play single high safety and play Jones at corner. Resign Hitchens Irving and Lawrence. Sign Vacarro and I would try to get either Sammy Watkins or Allen Robinson they are both young still and can play also would be the new #1 and dez can go to #2 where I think he will kill teams. Then go into the draft take a running back linebacker guard swing tackle corner. If Dallas can pick up a receiver like the ones I mentioned and grab a safety and corner in free agency that has good bit of experience. Wouldn’t hurt to look at guards and tackles in free agency either underrated guard in Andrew Norvell. We all know Dallas likes to plug holes in free agency and draft best players available but if we can just make players we sign be good depth players then when we go into the draft we can take that James Washington or Roquan Smith. May be wishful thinking but I would love to see Allen Robinson Kenny Vacarro and maybe Tahir Whitehead and I think Dallas can go into the draft very happy but it will be hard to resign Lawrence Irving and Hitchens then sign them guys

13. EverybodyTalks

December 8, 2017 at 9:57 pm

When you look at Byron and realize he was a CB @UCONN with 4.3 40yd dash at the combine. I scratch my head and that is not even mentioning his broad jump. I think Byron belongs on a corner and I hope they sign his 5th year extension. If you are a CB in college and have his athleticism, size and speed, then train him up for the job he use to do. I truly believe he is more than salvageable and can be developed into a great CB. The staff moved him around to much, out of necessity, in his 1st year. We were depleted in that year and Byron gave a very good effort in his rookie season. Further, has he missed any time? I don’t believe so. I see a football player, who wants to succeed. We need to give him the opportunity to succeed as CB, whether that be in rotation or as a starter. Last week, we all became fascinated by Awuzie, I was also. We finally were getting to see our 2nd round CB and he acquitted himself well. Now think about it. Has Byron missed a game? Could Jones be a CB of comparable talent, given the chance next season? I think so and perhaps a healthier one.

14. Jeremiah

December 9, 2017 at 12:20 am

This whole team is a victim of poor coaching and ownership. Want see another super bowl for another 22 years and yes I am a Cowboys fan fo life. So stop blaming it on the players. As we all see the players that have left have all made their teams better than anyone thought, from Leary, Church, Wilcox and others. If it kwacks like a duck it’s a duck.

Player News

Cowboys Offseason: Landon Collins Cleaned Out Locker, Set to be FA

Cowboys Headlines - #DALvsNYG: Dealing With Giants Safety Landon Collins

It's no secret that the Dallas Cowboys are heading into the 2019 offseason looking to upgrade at the safety position on a defense that finished inside the top 10 in 2018. With much of the focus on Earl Thomas, New York Giants Safety Landon Collins has become the center of attention in the last couple of days.

Per a report by Josina Anderson, Collins cleaned out his locker on Wednesday as he gets ready to go into free agency for the first time.

ig: josinaanderson on Twitter

I'm told that Giants S Landon Collins cleaned out his locker today at the team facility and said his goodbyes to teammates, coaches and trainers. It doesn't seem like Collins expects to be a Giant for much longer, per sources.

After Paul Schwartz attempted to assert that there was no claim to the report...

Paul Schwartz on Twitter

Attention those who care about the New York Giants: Landon Collins HAS NOT cleaned out his locker at the team facility. Repeat: Landon Collins HAS NOT cleaned out his locker at the team facility. Go about your business and have a nice day.

And Landon Collins had this to say...

If cleaning out a locker is any kind of evidence, then Collins is prepared to hit the market when free agency opens on March 13th. He joins a loaded safety group that includes Thomas, Houston Texans Safety Tyrann Mathieu, Los Angeles Rams Safety LaMarcus Joyner, Glover Quin of the Detroit Lions, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix formerly of the Green Bay Packers, but most recently of the Washington Redskins, and several others who could find new homes this offseason.

The Cowboys are very familiar with Landon Collins, as they've seen him nearly twice a year over the last four years. The three time Pro Bowler was one of the best players on the Giants defense. They would line him up in the box and at time use him to cover Cole Beasley.

Collins ranked first in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus in run stop percentage at 7.2%. Meaning on running snaps, he made a tackle that rendered the running play ineffective 7.2% of the time.For further reference, Jeff Heath made a run stop on 4.2% of his run plays, which was 15th in the NFL among safeties.

The only positions to have more of an impact on the running game were linebackers and the defensive line. Even if you include linebackers, his run stop percentage was 31st in the NFL. Leighton Vander Esch led the Dallas Cowboys with a run stop percentage of 11.3%, which was third among linebackers. Collins number nearly matched the run stop percentage of Jaylon Smith at 7.6%.

Add Collins to a defense that stops the run as well as the Dallas Cowboys did last season and you take your team to another level against the run.

Landon Collins will probably get the most money this offseason. He's only 25 and has had success in the NFL. Many teams will be reaching out to Collins when free agency opens and the Dallas Cowboys should certainly be one of those teams. Collins would be an excellent addition to the Dallas Cowboys defense and would allow Xavier Woods to stay in his role as the free safety.

We're just under three weeks away from the start of NFL free agency and the drama will only get bigger as the Cowboys look to add to their team.

Player News

Report: Free Agent DL David Irving Not in Dallas Cowboys’ 2019 Plans

David Irving

The Dallas Cowboys and troubled Defensive Lineman David Irving appear to be at an impasse. According to a report from David Moore of the Dallas Morning News, the team has "no intention" of trying to re-sign Irving and will allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Irving started the 2018 season with a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He only appeared in two games after that, registering one sack and four tackles.

David Moore on Twitter

Source: Cowboys have no intention of keeping DT David Irving at this time https://t.co/vqMNZty6Aq via @sportsdaydfw

Despite reports of David's ongoing issues with an ankle injury, Dallas never placed him on injured reserve. Then came the reports that Irving was missing practices and team meetings while dealing with personal issues related to the custody of his daughter.

The team stayed pretty mum on the subject of Irving's status throughout the year, falling back on the ankle injury when pushed. But after months, it became clear that either David, the team, or both parties were disinterested in his return to football.

The Cowboys had high hopes after 2017, when Irving posted seven sacks in just eight games. They placed a second-round tender on him last offseason as a restricted free agent and were surely ready to give him a long-term deal if he'd built on that success.

But David's issues, physical or otherwise, have clearly done the opposite.

Dallas is known for working with troubled players, as we've recently seen with Randy Gregory. That they're closing the book on Irving suggests there's an issue with his desire towards football.

It's a sad loss for both. David's potential is enormous, as evidenced by his productivity when he actually does play. But he appears more likely to hit the Commissioner's exempt list in 2019 than the football field, given the reports of multiple failed drug tests over the last year.

Hopefully David Irving can turn things around one day and capitalize on his talent. But if it ever happens, it appears that it won't be with the Dallas Cowboys.

Player News

BREAKING: WR Terrance Williams Gets Dropped by Dallas Cowboys

Takeaway Tuesday: What We Learned From Cowboys Loss To Packers
AP Photo/Ron Jenkins

The Dallas Cowboys have ended their six-year relationship with Wide Receiver Terrance Williams. According to multiple sources, they have declined a team option on Williams' contract and he will now be an unrestricted free agent in 2019.

The move will reportedly save the Cowboys $2.25 million in salary space this year.

Williams was the team's third-round pick in 2013 and started 68 of the 83 games he played in. He developed into a solid number-two receiver by the end of his rookie deal in 2016 and was given a new four-year contract that offseason.

David Moore on Twitter

Terrance Williams career w/ the Cowboys is done. Sources say the club has declined the WR's option for 2019, making him a free agent. The move is no surprise. He caught just 2 passes for 18 yards last season. His departure frees up $2.25 million on the cap.

After another decent year in 2017, things took a bad turn for Terrance last season. It started with an offseason arrest for public intoxication that eventually led to a three-game suspension, although Williams served that while on injured reserve.

The Cowboys already appeared to be giving Williams' spot away when they made several offseason acquisitions at WR; Allen Hurns, Michael Gallup, and Tavon Austin all were brought in even before Terrance's arrest.

While Williams did start in two of Dallas' first three games in 2018, he only had three passes his thrown his way. The team finally put him on IR due to ongoing complications with a surgically-repaired foot.

While it didn't end well, Terrance Williams' time in Dallas was ultimately a solid return for a third-round pick. He made a few big plays and was a proficient run-blocker, good enough to start in almost 75% of the team's games since he was drafted.

The Cowboys now hope that another third-round pick, Michael Gallup in 2018, will do bigger and better things.