Dallas Cowboys

Could Nick Foles Be Backup QB For Cowboys?

Cowboys Headlines - Could Nick Foles Backup Tony Romo In 2016?

News broke yesterday that the Los Angeles Rams released disgruntled quarterback Nick Foles just a day before the veteran players were supposed to report for training camp.

Mike Garafolo took to Twitter and was the first announce that the Rams were expecting to release Foles.

Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Rams expecting to release QB Nick Foles, sources say. Trade never materialized. Release will make him a free agent. Not subject to waivers.

Then, in true Ian Rapoport fashion, he provided the follow up and made the announcement via Twitter when the move was actually made official.

Ian Rapoport on Twitter

And now it's happened. Foles is a free agent. Experienced QB available. https://t.co/qDkB1RA3Ix

This isn't particularly surprising news, especially after the Rams drafted Jared Goff in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft with the first overall pick. The Rams organization had tried to find a trade partner in order to receive some kind of compensation, but nothing ever materialized.

Now that Nick Foles is a free agent, what NFL team will be interested in adding them to the roster?

The New York Jets were mentioned as a favorite landing spot due to their ongoing struggle to reach a contract agreement with Ryan Fitzpatrick and their own uncertainty of who will start the season at QB. It was definitely an understandable destination for a QB that was looking to resurrect his career, but it looks like Fitzpatrick is back on a one-year contract.

Maybe the Denver Broncos, who just won the Super Bowl and had their QB Peyton Manning retire. Also, Brock Osweiler decided to head down to Houston to take over the playcalling duties, leaving Denver in search of a QB to start the 2016 season.

I however think that the Dallas Cowboys should take a long hard look and determine if Nick Foles is a better option to backup Tony Romo in 2016 then what they currently have on the roster. It's just too bad that he's not subject to the waiver wire, because the Cowboys are currently one of the top teams in the pecking order.

In case you have forgotten, Nick Foles was a Pro Bowl player in 2013 after he threw 27 touchdowns and just two interceptions in 10 starts for the Philadelphia Eagles. Unfortunately, his magical 2013 season didn't last long and he was traded to the St. Louis Rams.

Last season, Foles was eventually replaced by journeymen quarterback Case Keenum after he completed just 56.4% of his throws and threw 10 interceptions. He seemed to have trouble reading defenses and made mind numbingly stupid mistakes in 2015.

So, why would the Dallas Cowboys be interested?

Well, Nick Foles is still an interesting prospect for a QB in the NFL. He has the desired size and arm strength to make all the throws, plus he has won games in the league.

That alone is something that could pique the Cowboys interest, especially considering that  Tony Romo has struggled with injuries recently and that the current backup QB situation is largely untested/unproven.

Of course, this all depends on what end of the spectrum you are on in regards to Kellen Moore, who is currently slated to backup Romo in 2016.

Trust me, I have heard all of the arguments for and against Kellen Moore and to tell you the truth, I am somewhere in the middle when it comes to whether or not he could be a good backup QB for the Cowboys.

Cowboys Headlines - Could Nick Foles Be Backup QB For Cowboys?

Billy Hurst-USA TODAY Sports

In all honesty, I think I would feel a lot more comfortable with Nick Foles as the #2 QB than I would Kellen Moore.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Moore. I just think that Foles is a better player  and is more in line with what the Dallas Cowboys like to have their backup QB.

The Cowboys have shown in the past that they prefer that the backup QB has NFL experience. Not only does Foles have experience in the league, but he has it in the NFC East division. That is just an added bonus.

The Cowboys should be well aware of Nick Foles' strengths and weaknesses since they had to face him twice a year when he was a member of the division rival Philadelphia Eagles.

The only question that remains is whether or not the coaching staff is comfortable with their current backup quarterback situation or if they believe that Nick Foles is a better option.

If the organization decides to go after Nick Foles, owner/general manager Jerry Jones will have to put on his salesman's cap and convince him why becoming the Cowboys backup QB is the right and only decision to make.

Do you think the Dallas Cowboys should go after Nick Foles?

Please feel free to use the comment section below to provide your thoughts and opinions on this topic. I really look forward to hearing from all of you so that we can discuss this further.

1. Alvin Montanez

July 28, 2016 at 8:54 am

Nick Foles is a good back up option.

July 28, 2016 at 9:02 am

Thanks for commenting Alvin. I'm really intrigued by the possibility of adding Nick Foles, but of course it's going to come down to money and the type of contract he's looking to receive.

2. Steve Trevor

July 28, 2016 at 9:07 am

Dear Nick, Please come to Dallas. Sincerely, Not-A-Fan-Of-Kellen-Moore

July 28, 2016 at 9:16 am

Thanks for commenting Steve. I'm somewhere in the middle in regards to Kellen Moore. Part of me thinks he could be a serviceable backup QB, while the other part of the thinks it's a mistake to keep him around to back up Tony Romo. I guess we will all have to wait and see what will happen.

3. Aaron

July 28, 2016 at 9:45 am

I think Nick Foles would do well as back-up but honestly don't care who we have as backup as long as romo stays healthy we could have Quincy carter as backup

July 28, 2016 at 1:45 pm

I completely agree with you Aaron. As long as Romo can stay healthy all of this talk about backup QB means next to nothing.

4. Jeff Cook

July 28, 2016 at 11:43 am

I think he would be a decent back up but I dont see him coming to Dallas for 2 reasons, 1 I think Garrett feels comfortable with Moore because he knows the offense already and 2 I think Foles wants a chance to start long term not just being a back up which is why he wanted out of the Rams

July 28, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for commenting Jeff. I think you make valid points, but Foles isn't going to receive a chance at a starting job this season. He could sign a short-term contract to be a backup QB in 2016 and then look for a chance to start next season. I do think it's unlikely that he comes to Dallas, but I'm not going to rule anything out until he signed somewhere else.

5. Ignacio Hernandez

July 28, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I still like kmoore. Move along, nothing else to see.

July 28, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for Ignacio. You're certainly not alone when it comes to being in favor for Kellen Moore being the backup QB in 2016. Right now, I'm on the fence and need more evidence before I feel comfortable with him backing up Romo.

6. George Johnson

July 28, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Brian: I think you will look back and say you were wrong about putting K Moore in the middle and thinking Foles would be a better choice for backup. Let me give you a few facts/information to compare K Moore to N Foles: K Moore was a college star and one of the best all time pocket passers in college history. What was N Foles accomplishments in college? K Moore was an All-American and Heisman finalist. 2) K Moore has extensive experience even if not in the NFL. He started developing from the time he could walk as his dad was a coach and he was evidently obsessed with football. He was a high school super star. What was N Foles doing in jr high and high school? Was he obsessed with developing his QB skills/abilities like K Moore? S Linehan has said K Moore's extensive reps before even coming into the NFL are invaluable now and why he is so good. 3) N Foles struggled with reading defenses last year after being in the NFL for several years. One of K Moore's strengths is reading defenses and he will only get better with more experience/reps. 4) K Moore has improved each year in the NFL. N Foles had one good year and then has gone backwards for some reason. Maybe defense starting exploiting his weaknesses. 5) K Moore knows the Dallas offense/playbook well and has worked with versions of it for two plus years and has some starting experience in the offense. N Foles will be starting from scratch in learning the Dallas offense/playbook. 6) K Moore has S Linehan's confidence and the Dallas players confidence. N Foles will have to earn this confidence. 7) N Foles has struggled with accuracy. One of K Moore's greatest strengths is accuracy. I don't have any problem with Dallas bringing in N Foles to give K Moore some veteran competition. I don't think Showers/Prescott can give K Moore much competition. I doubt N Foles will be able to beat out K Moore. I fully expect K Moore to play well in 2016 preseason games and better than he did in 2015. He should be ready, experience, poised, have enough reps, have the chemistry down with the receivers, etc. to improve on his play.

July 28, 2016 at 1:57 pm

George, for some reason I knew you would comment on this article. Like I mentioned in the article, I have nothing against Kellen Moore. I am however on the fence as to whether he can be a good backup QB for the Cowboys. I would like to see more evidence of him succeeding on the field before anointing him. Honestly, I could care less what he did in college. He has yet to prove himself in the NFL, but has a chance to do so this season. Nick Foles has been voted into the Pro Bowl and although he has seemed to regress a little he still has all of the tools that made him a pro bowler in the first place. I personally think Foles is a better player, but I would love to be proven wrong if and when Kellen Moore takes the field.

7. RM Harrison

July 28, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Kellen Moore will just simply win games. He's smart, doesn't get rattled, makes quick decisions, and simply wins.

July 28, 2016 at 2:06 pm

That's what he did in college, but he has yet to prove himself in the NFL. I'm really anxious to see what he does in training camp and preseason, but as of right now I'm not very comfortable with him backing up Romo.

8. Ned

July 28, 2016 at 2:34 pm

I am very much a Kellen Moore fan. I would love to see him succeed. At the same time I understand his skills and abilities need to be strongly evident come preseason. The position is his to win or lose. I'm grateful Dallas has given him this opportunity. After seeing the QB "look" fail twice last year…an insider and an outsider… I am hopeful that Moore's time with Dallas will now allow his strongest suits -accuracy, intelligence, system knowledge…to manifest. And to quote Linehan, Moore made the most 20 yard + completions in 2016. Foles on the other hand seems like Outsider V.2… not getting better with time (no offense). With Moore already on board, my view is to stay the course with him. If the coaches weren't confident with his potential/ ability then he'd already be gone.

July 28, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Thanks for commenting Ned. I'm actually rooting for Kellen Moore, but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with him backing up Tony Romo just yet. I would personally like to see more evidence that he can succeed at the NFL level. Everybody seems to refer back to his college statistics when stating why they believe he can be a good QB in the NFL, but I want to see him doing at the next level before I feel comfortable.

9. Sharon Young

July 28, 2016 at 10:26 pm

This may seem hasty, but I say put Foles as backup, but put Kellen Moore in the #1 spot. Can't wait for that day and year in the NFL.

July 29, 2016 at 9:19 am

Sharon, I don't see any scenario where Kellen Moore is a starting QB unless Tony Romo once again goes down with an injury. Even then, there are a lot of other quarterbacks I would prefer as the starter. Moore might be a good backup QB, but he has yet to prove himself in the NFL. We will see what kind of QB he can be once training camp starts tomorrow.

10. Don Adams

July 29, 2016 at 10:02 am

Brian I think Jeff Cook nails it in an earlier post. I'm not a Moore fan either and hope this is Tony's year to stay healthy and that alone allows Prescott to have a chance to grow in the system. Foles wants a starting gig and I don't see him coming here to ride the pine.

July 29, 2016 at 10:17 am

Don, Foles may want a starting job, but there simply isn't one out there. He will likely have to sign a one or two year contract as a backup QB and then hope to find a starting gig later. The Cowboys offer a perhaps he best situation for him to play because of Tony Romo's injury history over the last couple of years, which would allow him to play if Romo goes down again. It's going to be really interesting to see how this all plays out.

Player News

Cowboys Sign WR Devin Smith, Former 2nd-Round Pick

Devin Smith

The Dallas Cowboys have reportedly signed Receiver Devin Smith, previously with the New York Jets, to a futures contract. Smith was a 2nd-round pick, 37th overall, in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Before going pro, Devin was a college teammate of current Cowboys Ezekiel Elliott, Rod Smith, and Noah Brown. They were all members of the 2014 Ohio State Buckeyes team that won the National Championship.

Smith's agent, Jason Bernstein, tweeting the following earlier today:

Jason Bernstein on Twitter

Congrats to WR Devin Smith @dsmithosu for signing with the #DallasCowboys! Welcome back. https://t.co/hCMYoE8fEh

Thus far, Smith's NFL career has been marred by injuries. He has suffered two ACL tears in the same knee and only been able to appear in 14 games. He was waived by the Jets last summer and was not with any team last season.

Overall, the 2015 class of receivers has been disappointing. Amari Cooper has been a star and other later-round picks like Tyler Lockett, Stefon Diggs, and Jamison Crowder have been good. But the other big names of the class, such as Kevin White, Breshad Perriman, and DeVante Parker, have not lived up to the hype.

The Cowboys are known for trying to reclaim players who once had high draft status and bad starts to their careers. They are clearly hoping to cash in on Smith's previously perceived potential, which had him projected as a possible first-round talent at one time.

For both Devin and Dallas' sake, we hope it's a success!

Dallas Cowboys

Breaking: Scott Linehan and Dallas Cowboys Part Ways

Scott Linehan Acknowledges Need for New "Wrinkles" in Cowboys Offense

Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network is reporting that the Dallas Cowboys and Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan have mutually agreed to part ways following a tumultuous season that saw the Dallas Cowboys offense finish outside the top 12 three out of his four seasons in Dallas.

Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sources: The #Cowboys are firing OC Scott Linehan. Taking their offense in a new direction. An announcement is coming.

Scott Linehan was brought in prior to the 2015 season and saw his offenses finish 31st, fifth, 14th, and 22nd in his four years as the Cowboys play caller. The 2015 season can be excused as the Cowboys rolled out Kellen Moore, Matt Cassell, and Brandon Weeden for 13 starts after Tony Romo was injured twice during the season, but the team 2-11 in those 13 starts and the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs despite a strong performance on the defensive side of the football.

The Cowboys saw an offense that finished fifth in the NFL in points in 2016 decline each of the last two offseasons and Linehan has been continually criticized by analysts, fans, and players as well.

Many believe that the reason that Dez Bryant and Brice Butler weren't brought back in the offseason was because of the public criticism of the offense and the play caller instilling the offense and that criticism has carried over to this season when Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper acknowledged that the Philadelphia Eagles were sitting on the slant routes that they had run all game. Dak mentioned that he changed Amari's route to a go route, which led to a 75 yard touchdown that helped open up the offense.

Cole Beasley has been frustrated with his role for much of the season and deservedly so. He was often non-existent in the offensive game plan until the final five minutes of football games.

In the running game, the offense had become too predictable and reliant upon jumbo formations that led to Ezekiel Elliott having to run against eight in the box anywhere from 25-30% of the time. For perspective, Todd Gurley only ran against eight-man fronts around eight percent of the time. Scott Linehan never looked to attempt to take players out of the box, instead insisting on motioning more players into the box for the offensive line and Ezekiel Elliott to run against. It's amazing when you think about it, that Ezekiel Elliott was able to win the rushing title when facing loaded fronts as often as he did.

This was a move that needed to happen and the Dallas Cowboys didn't need to waste anymore time to make it happen. The offense had become stale and frustrating for the players as well as the fans. While Jason Garrett started the offseason saying he "didn't expect any changes," this was a move that absolutely had to happen for the offense to take a step forward. Below, you can read Jason Garrett's announcement on the move.

Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Cowboys have fired Scott Linehan

Even after the move for Amari Cooper, the offense looked better, but it still struggled at times to move the football.

The Cowboys have a young team with especially young players on the offensive side of the football. They have a quarterback who can throw from the pocket, but has excellent movement skills and capabilities of throwing the ball on the run. He's an excellent runner on designed runs. Despite us knowing all that, Scott Linehan looked reluctant to use him on designed quarterback runs that weren't read options or speed options. What you saw on designed runs in the Seattle game is what this team should be doing five times a game.

Now the question becomes, who should the Cowboys next offensive coordinator be? Our own, Staff Writer Brian Martin, laid out 5 Options to be the Next Offensive Coordinator earlier this week. I suggest you give it a read.

Player News

DeMarcus Lawrence Named Top Free Agent Of The 2019 Class

Breaking Down DeMarcus Lawrence's League High 5.5 Sacks Through Week 4

Much has been made about the Dallas Cowboys 2019 free agent class. Dallas has a ton of cap space moving forward, but they are going to "have" to pay many of the key players on their roster over the next two offseasons in order to keep their young core together.

Of course, when you're drafting, that's the goal. To draft so well that when your own players become free agents, you go ahead and pay them to keep them around, rather than overpay on the free agent market for external players.

One of the major pieces the Cowboys will have to retain this offseason is defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. And while Cowboys Nation often thinks of Lawrence as underrated around the league, the NFL has caught onto his importance as he enters free agency this Spring.

ESPN.com ranked their top 10 free agents for 2019, with DeMarcus Lawrence clocking in at number one, over elite players like Jadeveon Clowney and Le'Veon Bell.

ig: josinaanderson on Twitter

ESPN's top 10 free agents for 2019 and what Le'Veon Bell should be looking to command based on previous measures. https://t.co/aJ7H1n001t

DeMarcus Lawrence is going to command big time money, likely even Khalil Mack-type money. But the fact of the matter is that he has earned it. Lawrence has been the heart and soul of the Cowboys defensive line the last two seasons, and the most consistent edge player on the team as well.

Not only has he been an effective pass rusher, but DeMarcus Lawrence also plays with a relentless motor against the run that can sometimes be rare to find in those premier pass rushers. He really is a jack of all trades at defensive end, and should be priority number one for the Cowboys this offseason.

Thankfully, I can't imagine the Cowboys not retaining DeMarcus Lawrence and extending him in the coming months.