Cowboys 2017 Mock Draft: Dallas Trades Down With San Francisco

Cowboys 2017 Mock Draft: Dallas Trades Down With San Francisco

1 of 10
Use ← → keys to browse

The more that I study this draft and the possible prospects that could be available for the Dallas Cowboys at 28, the more I like the idea of trading down. Of course, that's easier said than done. But, for this 2017 Cowboys mock draft I decided to lay out the scenario that the San Francisco 49ers wanted to move up in the first round to 28 in order to acquire a quarterback so they can could take advantage of the fifth year option first-round draft picks receive.

This isn't the first time the Cowboys have traded down with 49ers. In 2013, both teams were able to work out a trade and even though the 49ers seemed to get the better of the deal according to the NFL trade value chart, the Cowboys ended up with Travis Frederick and Terrance Williams. This time around the trade is pretty equal in point value for both teams, although it favors the Cowboys just a little bit.

The San Francisco 49ers receive the Cowboys first-round draft pick (28th overall), while the Cowboys receive the 49ers second round draft pick (34th overall) and two in the fourth round (109th & 143rd overall). According to Drafttek's trade value chart, the 28th draft pick is worth 660 points and the 49ers second and two fourth round draft picks are worth 560+76+34= 670. The numbers don't match up perfectly, but it's a trade both teams could live with.

Now that we have everything broken down, let's take a look and see who the Dallas Cowboys can land after trading out of the first round for this mock draft. Use arrow tool provided to navigate through the mock draft.

* All players were selected according to Matt Miller's player rankings

1 of 10
Use ← → keys to browse

1. Terry Jones

March 15, 2017 at 12:24 pm

I’d shit my pants if we came away with a haul like this

March 15, 2017 at 12:29 pm

LOL Things could very well turn out this way.

2. Terence Rendon

March 15, 2017 at 4:34 pm

This mock draft really stink at best. some body need to do there home work better.. In over 100 mock draft that I have ran. Dallas can do whole lot better with there picks if they put in place. Now if Dallas trade down like you think they were.Why would Dallas goes with those sorry picks.

March 15, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Terence, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. I personally think this would be a great draft for the Cowboys. It upgrades the roster and fills positions of need.

3. John Williams

March 30, 2017 at 2:48 am

I think a trade back would be a great idea, especially if it could net an extra 3rd of 4th. This draft is perfectly set up for Dallas to add some more talent on both sides of the ball, but especially defense. There seem to be a lot of really good players that are going to be available to them at 28, so hopefully someone will want to jump up.

Dallas has been smart with their trading picks the last few years. I’ll also be curious to see what they do to utilize their compensatory picks from 2018 to help their 2017 draft/roster.

March 30, 2017 at 9:35 am

I completely agree with everything you said. I really like the idea of trading back. There so many players that can step in immediately and contribute.

April 4, 2017 at 2:19 am

Seems like it’s a veeeery deep draft. If they can have 3 picks in the top 60, that’d be just fine by me.

Someone brought up a good point on Twitter though that it may be difficult to trade back if the quarterbacks fall, because people may look to jump to the early 20’s to get their quarterback.

April 4, 2017 at 3:55 pm

That’s a valid argument, but there’s no easy way to figure out exactly how the draft is going to go until it actually starts in a few weeks. The Cowboys are in a good spot to trade down, the only real question is if there is a player there that another team wants to trade up for.

April 5, 2017 at 2:58 am

absolutely. The only thing that is guaranteed is that there are no guarantees in the draft. At 28 there likely will be an impact defensive player there for them. With that said, there could be several defensive players they like that permit them the opportunity to trade down. But We’ll see. Ready to get this thing going so we can start looking at the roster for the season.

4. EverybodyTalks

April 20, 2017 at 12:30 am

Brian,
    Thanks for your perspective on the draft. I used cbs.sports prospect rankings for the trade with San Fran. CBS had just updated their prospects today. So here it is:

34) Tyler Bowser – DE/OLB or T.J. Watt OLB/DE
    60) Fabian Moreau – CB
    76) Sidney Jones – CB (I think they only go for Sid due to the extra pick)
    92) Cameron Sutton – CB
    109) Justin Evans – SS
    133) Zach Banner – OG
    143) Tanoh Kpassagnon – DE
    211) Bryan Cox – DE or C.J. Beathard – QB
    228) Aaron Jones – RB
    246) Chad Kelly – QB or Pharaoh Brown TE

Note: For myself, the idea of only getting 670 for 660 seems light, especially for a move back into the 1st round. In my scenario, Dallas get them to throw in the 161 pick, since they have 2 picks in the 5th round and we have our 5th round pick…Boom!

161) John Johnson – FS

In review, I like that both TJ and Tyler as multi-players. I would be happy with either. Fabian flys, Sidney skies and Sutton is insurance until Jones gets better. Evans is a hunter. Banner is really Bruce Banner, the HULK. Tanoh is like Banner, except on the other side of the fence. Byron Cox has the bloodline as does Chip Kelly. CJ Beathard had a better 2015 (undefeated regular season) then 2016. Finally, Aaron Jones looks really solid and a steal, iMHO at 228.
    Disclaimer: They call it a “mock” for a reason.

April 20, 2017 at 9:37 am

This would be an amazing draft for the Cowboys.

• EverybodyTalks

April 21, 2017 at 1:17 am

Here is a little food for thought. Go with our regular draft #s. 28 for Bowser or Watt. 60 for Fabian. Put Evans at 92 and Tanoh at 133. I would go for Cox at 211 and keep the rest the same. I think that is still a pretty good draft.

April 21, 2017 at 8:36 am

That would definitely work too. I’m personally not a big fan of Tanoh or Cox. I think I would go a different direction there, but that’s just me.

Cowboys Receive 4th-Round Compensatory Pick in 2019 NFL Draft

Why Finishing 8-8 Improves Cowboys' 2018 NFL Draft Position

The Dallas Cowboys will receive an extra fourth-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft after the league awarded compensatory picks today.

The pick will be 136th overall, which is one spot below were Dallas drafted Dak Prescott in 2016.

Adam Schefter on Twitter

And in other news... NFL awarded compensatory draft picks today - Patriots and Rams each received two third-round picks. The full list, per sources:

We have Anthony Hitchens to thank for this extra pick. The former Cowboys linebacker signed a five-year, $45 million deal with the Chiefs last offseason which far surpassed any of the deal that Dallas made with their own free agent acquisitions.

Only free agents whose contracts expired, not those released in the offseason by their previous team, count towards the compensatory pick formula.  Therefore, Allen Hurns' deal was not a mitigating factor.

As mentioned already, the fourth round of the NFL Draft recently gave Dallas its starting quarterback. Other notable fourth-round picks in the modern era have been Hitchens, Doug Free, Marion Barber, and Chris Canty.

Last year, Dallas drafted DE Dorance Armstrong and TE Dalton Schultz with fourth-round picks.

Already short their first and sixth-round picks this year from previous trades, the Cowboys are certainly happy to have this extra selection for April's draft.

7-Round Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft: Pre-Combine Edition

3 Potential Day 2 Tight End Prospects for the Dallas Cowboys 2

I thought it would be a good idea to get out another 7-round Dallas Cowboys mock draft before the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine kicks off next week. Not only will the Combine shakeup a lot of people's big boards and draft rankings, but it will also be the first opportunity a lot of us will get to see some of these players firsthand.

For this Cowboys mock draft I used Matt Miller's big board on Fanspeak.com. I don't necessarily agree with where he has some of these players ranked right now, but that's part of the fun of doing these kind of exercises. With that said, he is still one of my favorite draft analysts.

Without further ado, here is my Pre-Combine 7-round Dallas Cowboys mock draft.

TE, Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M (2nd-round)

*189th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Jace Sternberger

Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger (John Glaser-USA TODAY Sports)

First off, I think Matt Miller has Jace Sternberger ranked way too low on his Big Board. I don't think he will make it out of the second round and may not even be available for the Dallas Cowboys when they are on the clock with the 58th overall pick. But if he is, I'm writing his name down on the draft card and not looking back.

The Cowboys have made it pretty clear they want to upgrade their TE position, but in order to do that they're going to have to draft one pretty early in my opinion. Sternberger may be a one-year wonder at Texas A&M, but he is exactly what Quarterback Dak Prescott needs in the passing game. He would change the dynamic of this whole offense.

At 6'4", 250 pounds, Sternberger has the size the Cowboys look for in their starting tight ends. His biggest asset right now is his natural receiving ability and how dangerous he is after the catch. He runs and moves like a big receiver. He's decent as an in-line blocker as well, but it's an area of his game that is still improving.

OT, Bobby Evans, Oklahoma (3rd-round)

*89th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Bobby Evans

Oklahoma OT Bobby Evans

It's a little surprising it hasn't been brought up more this offseason, but with Tyron Smith's continued back problems and La'el Collins entering a contract year, the Dallas Cowboys could be looking into drafting another offensive tackle. I know it may be an unpopular pick in the third-round, but I couldn't pass up on Bobby Evans.

At 6'5", 300 pounds, Bobby Evans has the prototypical size teams look for in their starting offensive tackles. He is a smooth athletically gifted lineman who does his best work in the running game. He projects best in a zone blocking scheme where he can use his athleticism to his advantage. He will struggle a little bit in pass protection until he cleans up his hand technique.

With the Cowboys he could compete with La'el Collins for the starting RT position as a rookie, but at the worst be the teams swing tackle in 2019. Since he has the ability to play either tackle position, he would make a good insurance policy if Tyron Smith has to miss time again because of his back issues. Again it may be an unpopular pick, but a necessary one.

OLB, Christian Miller, Alabama (4th-round)

*161st on Matt Miller's Big Board

Christian Miller

Alabama OLB Christian Miller

With the Dallas Cowboys needing more depth at linebacker and defensive end, I decided to select Christian Miller with their first fourth-round draft pick. He unfortunately hasn't been able to showcase his skill set on a regular basis due to being buried on the depth chart at Alabama and some unfortunate injuries, but he has immense potential.

I think a lot of teams will look to draft him as a outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, but I really like the variety of roles he could play in the Cowboys 4-3 defensive scheme. I think he could replace Demian Wilson as their strong side linebacker, provide depth at defensive end, and be a special-teams demon as a rookie.

The Cowboys of course will have to be comfortable with his injury history, but in the fourth-round I don't think that would be a problem. If he can stay healthy he has Pro Bowl potential as a pass rusher because of his size (6'4", 247), athleticism and fluidity to bend and torque his body. This might be my favorite pick in this Cowboys mock draft.

DT, Daylon Mack, Texas A&M (4th-round comp pick)

*178th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Daylon Mack

Texas A&M DT Daylon Mack

The Dallas Cowboys could definitely use some more defensive tackle help, especially after all but washing their hands of David Irving. They currently just have Antwaun Woods and Maliek Collins on the DT depth chart, unless you want to count Tyrone Crawford. That's why I returned to Texas A&M for the second time in this Cowboys mock draft and selected Daylon Mack.

Daylon Mack is a former five-star recruit who never really lived up to his billing at Texas A&M. Don't let that fool you though, he has the talent to earn a starting job with the Cowboys as a rookie at either the one or three-technique. He is the kind of prospect Rod Marinelli would love to work with.

At 6'1", 327 pounds, Mack would provide some much-needed beef to the Cowboys defensive front. He has surprising athletic ability for his size and has a devastating first step to be the kind of disruptive DT Marinelli prefers along his DL. I really love his violent hands and raw athletic ability, and I believe he could be an absolute steal in the fourth-round even though Matt Miller has him ranked much lower.

WR, Jalen Hurd, Baylor (5th-round)

*159th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Jalen Hurd

Baylor WR Jalen Hurd

Outside of Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup, the wide receiver position in Dallas is pretty dreadful. There are some young WRs who show some promise, but they still need more depth regardless. That's why I decided to take Jalen Hurd in the fifth-round in this Cowboys mock draft. He is one of the more intriguing prospects in the entire 2019 draft class.

The most intriguing aspect of Hurd's game is his background as a running back. He was a five-star recruit coming out of high school and was once considered a top RB prospect during his time in Tennessee before deciding to transfer to Baylor in order to switch to wide receiver.

At 6'4", 227 pounds, he has the prototypical size teams look for in a WR prospect. He reminds me a little bit of Cordarrelle Patterson, but is much more natural catching the ball. His route running is a little raw, but he has the ability to play in the slot or on the outside, something he did at Baylor. I think he could help replace some of Cole Beasley's lost production.

RB, Bruce Anderson, North Dakota State (7th-round)

* 206th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Bruce Anderson

North Dakota State RB Bruce Anderson

I reached a little bit with this pick, but if Bruce Anderson is available this late in the draft I would do everything within my power to bring him aboard if I was the Dallas Cowboys. I really think he could be the lightning to Ezekiel Elliott's thunder in the Cowboys backfield. I personally have him in the 3rd-5th round range, but can understand why he's ranked so low on Miller's Big Board right now.

Unfortunately, the draft process hasn't been very kind to Bruce Anderson so far. He was originally expected to open a lot of eyes in Mobile at this year's Senior Bowl, but unfortunately sustained an injury that kept him from competing. To make matters worse, he was a surprise snub at the Scouting Combine, meaning he only has private workouts and his Pro Day to impress scouts.

I for one am a big fan of Anderson's though. I believe he is exactly the kind of RB the Cowboys need behind Zeke. I personally see a poor man's Alvin Kamara when I watched his game film because of the different ways he can be utilized as both a runner and receiver. But, he can also contribute on special teams as a return specialist.

How do you feel about this 7-round Dallas Cowboys mock draft?

Cowboys Draft Target: Washington Safety Taylor Rapp

Cowboys Draft Target: Washington Safety Taylor Rapp
AP Photo/David Zalubowski

While most fans are hoping the Cowboys snag a different safety who played his football in the state of Washington, Huskies safety Taylor Rapp should be towards the top of their draft targets on day two.

The Cowboys have some decisions to make when it comes to their back-end, particularly at safety. Do they want to pursue a full time strong safety type who can play in the box, allowing Xavier Woods to play solely as the centerfield free safety? Or would they rather add a hybrid safety who can play in that deep third role, giving their defense more flexibility in how they utilize Woods moving forward?

If their answer to this question is to go with a more traditional strong safety, and slot Woods into one permanent role, then Washington's Taylor Rapp could be the right man in this draft class.

The Player

Taylor Rapp is not the single-high safety that I would typically value high in an NFL draft. He lacks the range to really play that centerfield role, and doesn't have the speed or agility to project to this role in the NFL. No one ever gets behind him, but that's more due to ridiculously deep alignment than excellent coverage skills.

Where Rapp does excel, though, is playing forward and downhill. Rapp is aggressive both in his pursuit of plays and in his tackling. He tackles with good technique as well, and can absolutely lay the wood when coming up to hit receivers over the middle. Rapp plays how you'd expect your old-school strong safety to play, and projects as a split-zone and box safety at the next level.

Rapp isn't anything special in man coverage, but he executes well at times. He's at his best when asked to cover tight ends in man coverage, something which would certainly be valued both in today's NFL and on this version of the Cowboys' defense. I wouldn't be as comfortable lining him up against shifty slot receivers over the middle, but he can match up well physically with tight ends in man.

Overall, Rapp is one of the best tacklers I've seen in this draft class so far, and with his instincts, size and physicality he will serve as a solid strong safety at the next level.

The Fit

I don't see Taylor Rapp as the typical versatile chess-piece the Cowboys have valued when drafting defensive backs in recent years. He does what he does well, but they would be ill-advised to mess with his alignment too often or try to make him fit into a different role. He's not going to move all over the field like Xavier Woods can, but he can certainly fit the Cowboys' current need for a strong safety.

Many fans want the Cowboys to pursue Landon Collins in free agency, but if they strike out there, Rapp could be their consolation prize in the NFL draft.

No, he's not as good as Landon Collins. Let me make that perfectly clear. But for a day two pick Rapp could fit a similar role to what Collins would here in Dallas: a strong safety who will play primarily in the box and cover tight ends in man.