The list of inactive players for the Cowboys’ opening preseason game against the San Diego Chargers was as long as the train ride from Oxnard to San Diego; and it underscored yet again why they don’t count these games in the standings. Well, maybe it wasn’t quite as long as the 181-mile trek along the California coastline, but it still was pretty lengthy.
Among those not playing Thursday evening – for reasons other than injury – were Tony Romo, Jason Witten, DeMarco Murray, Lance Dunbar, Dez Bryant, and Brandon Carr.
Additionally, there were a number of inactive players due to injury, including:
- Defensive end George Selvie (groin)
- Defensive tackle Terrell McClain (ankle)
- Defensive tackle Ben Bass (hamstring)
- Defensive end Ben Gardner (shoulder)
- Linebacker Rolando McClain (hamstring and quadriceps)
- Outside linebacker Will Smith (groin)
- Safety Matt Johnson (hamstring)
- Cornerback Sterling Moore (groin)
- Cornerback Morris Claiborne (knee)
- Safety Jakar Hamilton (concussion)
- Wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe (concussion)
- Offensive tackle Darrion Weems (shoulder)
Two additional players were held out, but with what the Cowboys thought were minor injuries:
- Safety Barry Church
- Defensive tackle Henry Melton
Needless to say, the Cowboys could have used more than a few of their inactive players in their first preseason game.