Cowboys Select DE Taco Charlton with 1st-Round Pick

As many expected, the Cowboys have added a defensive end in the first round. Taco Charlton out of Michigan has been drafted with the 28th overall pick.

Taco Charlton

DE Taco Charlton is now a Dallas Cowboy.

With other pass rushers like Charles Harris and Takkarist McKinley going in the picks just ahead of Dallas, the Cowboys still came away with one of the higher-rated defensive ends in the draft class.

T.J. Watt, another prospect that many Cowboys fans wanted, was still available when Charlton was selected. Several cornerback prospects were also still on the board.

The Cowboys' next pick is 60th overall, which will occur tomorrow evening.

Cowboys fan since 1992, blogger since 2011. Bringing you the objectivity of an outside perspective with the passion of a die-hard fan. I love to talk to my readers, so please comment on any article and I'll be sure to respond!

1. Saul molina

April 27, 2017 at 10:44 pm

As a Dallas cowboys fan I almost threw up with that pick so many corners and a few good safeties and they got taco Charlton for everybody screaming for a pass rusher there you go but now we get to see our secondary get fucking shreaded just as I thought Dallas couldn’t screw up they proved me wrong

April 27, 2017 at 10:46 pm

“So many corners” is exactly why they took the pass rusher now. They’re planning a DB they like being there at the 60th pick, and your post shows that that’s a sound strategy.

• Saul molina

April 27, 2017 at 10:51 pm

They could have gotten obi melifonwu in the first rd and Kevin King in the second I love my Cowboys but they blew it on that one they are going into the season with Orlando scandrick over the hill nolan Carroll over the hill bum Jeff heath a back up and that’s pushing it kavon frazier unproven oh yeah that sounds great now I see why we don’t get out of the first rd of the playoffs

• Saul molina

April 27, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Well I guess we won’t be winning a Super Bowl this year either smfh!!!!!

• Randy Martin

April 27, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Saul I think you should strongly consider getting off the Cowboys fan base. Obi is a combine/athlete flash in the pan. I guarantee that at 6-4+ he will not succeed at Safety in the NFL. They turned over the DB’s because they needed it. I don’t know if Heath is a starter and I did want to see King at 28 but I believe if the FO chose Taco over King they knew what they are doing. Just because they didn’t do what you want it doesn’t mean the season is over. If you feel that way probably should find another team. Funny you called Heath over the hill at 25. Wow!

• Saul molina

April 27, 2017 at 11:23 pm

fuck you don’t you ever tell me what the fuck to do I’ll express my self how ever I want

• Bryson Treece

April 28, 2017 at 2:05 am

Chill bro. This ain’t the place for that, Saul.

• Saul molina

April 28, 2017 at 2:13 am

🙂 your right homie I appreciate it I got a little ticked when someone tries to tell me get another team it might seem like I was bagging on my boys but I wasn’t I just want them to do good I’m sick of hearing maybe next year and our defense isn’t that good

• Bryson Treece

April 28, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Me too. Not happy with the Taco pick myself, but I’m trusting the process. Let’s go Day 2.

• Saul molina

April 28, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I see day playing out like this hopefully we can still try to get Kevin King if he isn’t there we can get cordrea tankersley he’s good and the latest projection has obi melifonwu falling to the third rd that would be a great pick

• Bryson Treece

April 28, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Definitely some possibilities, but I like the CBs still out there. We may have needed EDGE help, but we also need a DB too. Gonna look at rounds 2-4 and see who they get. They’ve been making smart decisions in the middle rounds, so maybe that continues.

• Saul molina

April 28, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Yea I just think everyone is saying we need line help I strongly think it’s the DC I don’t think he is that good they are always saying oh he can make so and so work it hasn’t work in the last three years

• Randy Martin

April 28, 2017 at 9:30 am

Wow such colorful language! I’m impressed. Hey Saul I don’t expect everyone to agree with the picks all the time and I see that with a lot of discussions. I just took issue with saying we won’t be going to the Super Bowl “because” we took Charlton. Personally, I would have taken King with that pick but there is a reason I’m not the GM of the Cowboys. I am behind the FO and trust the process. We still have 6 picks left and I’m sure we won’t agree with all of them but this is our team and there is a lot to be excited about. Pretty sure one of those restaurants in Dallas will be offering free Tacos for every sack he gets!

• Saul molina

April 28, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Your right sorry I just got a little heated when you said pick another team I ride and die with my Cowboys I just wish they would have gone a different route I was disappointed but that taco comment was funny I have to admit it lol

• Randy Martin

April 28, 2017 at 12:52 pm

I have to say I don’t know you Saul but I read pretty much every article written about the Cowboys and I see a lot of comments written by supposed fans that are almost always negative and I say the same thing to them. I’ve been a die-hard since 1962 and I’m always real about the team but I don’t bad-mouth or speak negative. I will say I don’t agree but I will get behind it whether I like it or not. I wanted King here but after reading some articles and watching the post frame presser as well as the replay of The Draft Show Day 1 draft special I understand and agree that pass rush was the right pick. Can debate whether Watt or Taco was the right pick but i think they felt was more a 3-4 LB and liked Taco’s length and injury free career. Now we are going to get our DB today. I saw Matt Miller’s Day 2 mock and he has us taking Sidney Jones at 60 and Davon Godchaux at 92. I hope he is wrong on both. I love Jones but we don’t need a redshirt player and I did some reading on the likelihood of coming back full strength from Achilles tears and it wasn’t completely promising. And we don’t need a DL at 3. We need another CB or Safety.

• Saul molina

April 28, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Your right we don’t need another injured player that’s why I think we should go Kevin King and obi melifonwu or codrea tankersley and Marcus Williams

• Randy Martin

April 28, 2017 at 4:31 pm

I will take any of those guys but Obi. If not for the Senior Bowl and the combine he is a 4th round pick. His tape is not great and there has never been a successful safety at his height. It is going to cause a problem. I did a lot of research on the topic of height and safeties and while there are some great one’s at 6-3 that seems to be the cutoff point. And I don’t like it when guys earn all their stripes from the underwear Olympics.

• Saul molina

April 28, 2017 at 4:46 pm

I’ve studied the same thing but I’ve also studied his tape he has great bend move in stride good covers well tackles well he is a good fit I promise

2. Kevin Black

April 28, 2017 at 10:31 am

Sorry, but I thought it was a reach myself. I had Watt with a first round grade, but obviously the Cowboys did not. That’s fine. Difference of opinion. But I don’t understand passing on a first round grade on Kevin King. When you pass on talent, you pass on success.

Cowboys Draft: Looking at West Virginia WR David Sills

Cowboys Draft: Looking at West Virginia WR David Sills

Although the Dallas Cowboys won't be on the clock in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft, they essentially invested their first pick in Amari Cooper. However, wide receiver remains a need for the team, specially with Cole Beasley heading for free agency. Out of West Virginia, Wide Receiver David Sills is an interesting potential target for Dallas. A quarterback-turned-wide-receiver story, Sills is one of those guys who constantly shows up when you watch his football team play. That's what you want in a receiver.

Let's dive in.

During his time playing for the West Virginia Mountaineers, David Sills was a scoring machine. He scored 35 career touchdowns (15 in 2018, 18 in 2017) and caught over 980 yards in each of his two seasons as a starter. The Big 12 is known for its lack of good defensive backs, which will naturally raise skepticism when discussing how good Sills really is but it shouldn't.

Sills is 6-foot-4 and weighs 210 pounds. His frame is constantly criticized but thanks to his size and his excellent ability to high point the football that shouldn't be an issue. He's one of the best in this draft class when it comes to 50-50 jump balls. He shines the most as a vertical threat, including over the middle of the field, which should be an interesting trait for the Dallas Cowboys. Throughout his career, he was almost indefensible when given the opportunity at deep over the shoulder passes.

Although he doesn't have the best acceleration, Sills' build-up speed can be lethal for opposing defensive backs. Paired with this is his skill to adjust for deep balls, slowing down when necessary to take on defenders.

What I personally like the most about Sills is his play in goal line situations. Whether it's playing inside on a slant or running a fade route, the Mountaineer wide receiver surely made a lot of opposing defenses suffer. Thanks to his background as a quarterback, his understanding of defensive coverages is pretty solid. He manages to find the defense's soft spots and get open constantly.

But why isn't he valued as a top prospect on this year's NFL Draft? Well, unfortunately, there are a few reasons for this.

First off, David Sills had some problems in the "drops" department. He has plenty of body catches that aren't necessary. When balls weren't on target, he often didn't make the play despite counting with a pretty good catch radius. He can greatly improve in his route running abilities and he was challenged by true press cornerbacks, struggling to release early.

For the Dallas Cowboys, Sills could be a solid contributor as a vertical threat and in the red-zone, where the offense struggled so much last season. With the class being quite loaded at wide receiver this year, Sills should be a realistic target even in the fourth round.

Tell me what you think about "Cowboys Draft: Looking at West Virginia WR David Sills" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!

Cowboys Receive 4th-Round Compensatory Pick in 2019 NFL Draft

Why Finishing 8-8 Improves Cowboys' 2018 NFL Draft Position

The Dallas Cowboys will receive an extra fourth-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft after the league awarded compensatory picks today.

The pick will be 136th overall, which is one spot below were Dallas drafted Dak Prescott in 2016.

Adam Schefter on Twitter

And in other news... NFL awarded compensatory draft picks today - Patriots and Rams each received two third-round picks. The full list, per sources:

We have Anthony Hitchens to thank for this extra pick. The former Cowboys linebacker signed a five-year, $45 million deal with the Chiefs last offseason which far surpassed any of the deal that Dallas made with their own free agent acquisitions.

Only free agents whose contracts expired, not those released in the offseason by their previous team, count towards the compensatory pick formula.  Therefore, Allen Hurns' deal was not a mitigating factor.

As mentioned already, the fourth round of the NFL Draft recently gave Dallas its starting quarterback. Other notable fourth-round picks in the modern era have been Hitchens, Doug Free, Marion Barber, and Chris Canty.

Last year, Dallas drafted DE Dorance Armstrong and TE Dalton Schultz with fourth-round picks.

Already short their first and sixth-round picks this year from previous trades, the Cowboys are certainly happy to have this extra selection for April's draft.

7-Round Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft: Pre-Combine Edition

3 Potential Day 2 Tight End Prospects for the Dallas Cowboys 2

I thought it would be a good idea to get out another 7-round Dallas Cowboys mock draft before the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine kicks off next week. Not only will the Combine shakeup a lot of people's big boards and draft rankings, but it will also be the first opportunity a lot of us will get to see some of these players firsthand.

For this Cowboys mock draft I used Matt Miller's big board on Fanspeak.com. I don't necessarily agree with where he has some of these players ranked right now, but that's part of the fun of doing these kind of exercises. With that said, he is still one of my favorite draft analysts.

Without further ado, here is my Pre-Combine 7-round Dallas Cowboys mock draft.

TE, Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M (2nd-round)

*189th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Jace Sternberger

Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger (John Glaser-USA TODAY Sports)

First off, I think Matt Miller has Jace Sternberger ranked way too low on his Big Board. I don't think he will make it out of the second round and may not even be available for the Dallas Cowboys when they are on the clock with the 58th overall pick. But if he is, I'm writing his name down on the draft card and not looking back.

The Cowboys have made it pretty clear they want to upgrade their TE position, but in order to do that they're going to have to draft one pretty early in my opinion. Sternberger may be a one-year wonder at Texas A&M, but he is exactly what Quarterback Dak Prescott needs in the passing game. He would change the dynamic of this whole offense.

At 6'4", 250 pounds, Sternberger has the size the Cowboys look for in their starting tight ends. His biggest asset right now is his natural receiving ability and how dangerous he is after the catch. He runs and moves like a big receiver. He's decent as an in-line blocker as well, but it's an area of his game that is still improving.

OT, Bobby Evans, Oklahoma (3rd-round)

*89th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Bobby Evans

Oklahoma OT Bobby Evans

It's a little surprising it hasn't been brought up more this offseason, but with Tyron Smith's continued back problems and La'el Collins entering a contract year, the Dallas Cowboys could be looking into drafting another offensive tackle. I know it may be an unpopular pick in the third-round, but I couldn't pass up on Bobby Evans.

At 6'5", 300 pounds, Bobby Evans has the prototypical size teams look for in their starting offensive tackles. He is a smooth athletically gifted lineman who does his best work in the running game. He projects best in a zone blocking scheme where he can use his athleticism to his advantage. He will struggle a little bit in pass protection until he cleans up his hand technique.

With the Cowboys he could compete with La'el Collins for the starting RT position as a rookie, but at the worst be the teams swing tackle in 2019. Since he has the ability to play either tackle position, he would make a good insurance policy if Tyron Smith has to miss time again because of his back issues. Again it may be an unpopular pick, but a necessary one.

OLB, Christian Miller, Alabama (4th-round)

*161st on Matt Miller's Big Board

Christian Miller

Alabama OLB Christian Miller

With the Dallas Cowboys needing more depth at linebacker and defensive end, I decided to select Christian Miller with their first fourth-round draft pick. He unfortunately hasn't been able to showcase his skill set on a regular basis due to being buried on the depth chart at Alabama and some unfortunate injuries, but he has immense potential.

I think a lot of teams will look to draft him as a outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, but I really like the variety of roles he could play in the Cowboys 4-3 defensive scheme. I think he could replace Demian Wilson as their strong side linebacker, provide depth at defensive end, and be a special-teams demon as a rookie.

The Cowboys of course will have to be comfortable with his injury history, but in the fourth-round I don't think that would be a problem. If he can stay healthy he has Pro Bowl potential as a pass rusher because of his size (6'4", 247), athleticism and fluidity to bend and torque his body. This might be my favorite pick in this Cowboys mock draft.

DT, Daylon Mack, Texas A&M (4th-round comp pick)

*178th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Daylon Mack

Texas A&M DT Daylon Mack

The Dallas Cowboys could definitely use some more defensive tackle help, especially after all but washing their hands of David Irving. They currently just have Antwaun Woods and Maliek Collins on the DT depth chart, unless you want to count Tyrone Crawford. That's why I returned to Texas A&M for the second time in this Cowboys mock draft and selected Daylon Mack.

Daylon Mack is a former five-star recruit who never really lived up to his billing at Texas A&M. Don't let that fool you though, he has the talent to earn a starting job with the Cowboys as a rookie at either the one or three-technique. He is the kind of prospect Rod Marinelli would love to work with.

At 6'1", 327 pounds, Mack would provide some much-needed beef to the Cowboys defensive front. He has surprising athletic ability for his size and has a devastating first step to be the kind of disruptive DT Marinelli prefers along his DL. I really love his violent hands and raw athletic ability, and I believe he could be an absolute steal in the fourth-round even though Matt Miller has him ranked much lower.

WR, Jalen Hurd, Baylor (5th-round)

*159th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Jalen Hurd

Baylor WR Jalen Hurd

Outside of Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup, the wide receiver position in Dallas is pretty dreadful. There are some young WRs who show some promise, but they still need more depth regardless. That's why I decided to take Jalen Hurd in the fifth-round in this Cowboys mock draft. He is one of the more intriguing prospects in the entire 2019 draft class.

The most intriguing aspect of Hurd's game is his background as a running back. He was a five-star recruit coming out of high school and was once considered a top RB prospect during his time in Tennessee before deciding to transfer to Baylor in order to switch to wide receiver.

At 6'4", 227 pounds, he has the prototypical size teams look for in a WR prospect. He reminds me a little bit of Cordarrelle Patterson, but is much more natural catching the ball. His route running is a little raw, but he has the ability to play in the slot or on the outside, something he did at Baylor. I think he could help replace some of Cole Beasley's lost production.

RB, Bruce Anderson, North Dakota State (7th-round)

* 206th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Bruce Anderson

North Dakota State RB Bruce Anderson

I reached a little bit with this pick, but if Bruce Anderson is available this late in the draft I would do everything within my power to bring him aboard if I was the Dallas Cowboys. I really think he could be the lightning to Ezekiel Elliott's thunder in the Cowboys backfield. I personally have him in the 3rd-5th round range, but can understand why he's ranked so low on Miller's Big Board right now.

Unfortunately, the draft process hasn't been very kind to Bruce Anderson so far. He was originally expected to open a lot of eyes in Mobile at this year's Senior Bowl, but unfortunately sustained an injury that kept him from competing. To make matters worse, he was a surprise snub at the Scouting Combine, meaning he only has private workouts and his Pro Day to impress scouts.

I for one am a big fan of Anderson's though. I believe he is exactly the kind of RB the Cowboys need behind Zeke. I personally see a poor man's Alvin Kamara when I watched his game film because of the different ways he can be utilized as both a runner and receiver. But, he can also contribute on special teams as a return specialist.

How do you feel about this 7-round Dallas Cowboys mock draft?