Connect with us

Player News

Deny, Deny, Deny: Dak Prescott Has “No Knowledge” of Fake Autographs

Jess Haynie

Published

on

Dak Prescott
Ashley Landis/Dallas Morning News

This past Wednesday, the accusation that an autopen machine was used to put Dak Prescott autographs on trading cards was made public. To no one's surprise, Prescott has since denied any knowledge of or involvement in the activity.

Panini America, a publishing company that works with Prescott on these cards, released a statement on Friday which seemed to absolve Dak and his representatives of blame.

"Prescott and his representatives have worked closely with Panini during this process since becoming aware of the discrepancies and have no knowledge of how those cards were returned to Panini."

The statement also details that Prescott fully cooperated in an investigation with Panini. The company announced a new long-term agreement with Dak for future business, which shows they must be satisfied with his explanation.

Dak Prescott

QB Dak Prescott

The potential fraud was uncovered by an authenticator from Beckett Grading Services, who said the five Prescott cards that he examined had a "machine-like feel." This was assumed to be from an autopen device, which mechanically duplicates user signatures. This machine is most commonly associated with politicians, but other celebrities and business people could easily make use of them.

While Panini America appears happy with Dak's response, claiming "no knowledge" is the typical strategy in these situations. Tom Brady initially claimed to have no awareness of the activities that led to Deflategate. Earlier this year, Eli Manning claimed no knowledge of potential fraud involving "game-worn" memorabilia.  Evidence has since come out that puts both of their claims into question.

That said, given the representation and other entourage that star NFL quarterbacks take on, it's entirely plausible that Prescott truly didn't know what was happening. Obviously, all Cowboys fans hope this is the last we'll hear about this incident.


Cowboys fan since 1992, blogger since 2011. Bringing you the objectivity of an outside perspective with the passion of a die-hard fan. I love to talk to my readers, so please comment on any article and I'll be sure to respond!

Advertisement
4 Comments

4 Comments

  1. Randy Martin

    July 9, 2017 at 3:50 pm

    I hope this was a little tongue-in-cheek….far too much written on this topic. Its what happens when a childhood hobby turns into big business. What hasn’t been written or explained is the entire process on how cards get original signatures and then placed into a sealed pack. Does the company ship them to an athlete or agent and then they are mailed back? Do athletes go to the facility and sign them? A simple understanding of that process would reveal where the fraud lies. And if its on Dak, that is hardly in the same ballpark with Deflategate. I wouldn’t blame him either as far too much is asked by society to get a piece of celebrities anyway because at the end of the day these men and women are simply human beings, same as you and I. Our obsession with stars and autographs is a harsher indictment on society, than the celebrities themselves.

    • ThePsychodad69

      July 9, 2017 at 8:26 pm

      Panini manned up and said they did it and will replace them with real autographs with a hologram making the others insignificant.

      The fault lies with the so called authenticator, pretty sure those packs will be worth something once most are swept up and destroyed.

      I bought 200 Emmitt, for this reason, destroyed 150 sat on 25 and sold 25 for my initial 200.

      Part of the game, don’t be a rube.

      • Kevin Black

        July 10, 2017 at 8:13 am

        It is part of the game, but those unfamiliar with the game will take the story at face value unfortunately. This story will have legs long past today if Das keeps having success. In American, proof has become secondary to accusation.

    • Jess Haynie

      Jess Haynie

      July 10, 2017 at 8:27 am

      I don’t disagree with anything you said about the trading card/sports memorabilia industry. Not a fan of it, either. However, those feelings don’t excuse anyone for exploiting fans who are paying the money for what they believe is a genuine autograph or game-worn (e.g. Eli Manning) jersey or helmet. Not saying Dak did that or was at all aware of what happened, but I don’t fault people who’d be upset by it.

      Honestly, if a player is caught engaging in some kind of autograph/memorabilia fraud, I have no issue with the league suspending them. You’re taking advantage of the fans at that point, and that’s far more that the NFL should be worried about than players smoking marijuana.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Player News

Cowboys Offseason: Landon Collins Cleaned Out Locker, Set to be FA

John Williams

Published

on

Cowboys Headlines - #DALvsNYG: Dealing With Giants Safety Landon Collins

It's no secret that the Dallas Cowboys are heading into the 2019 offseason looking to upgrade at the safety position on a defense that finished inside the top 10 in 2018. With much of the focus on Earl Thomas, New York Giants Safety Landon Collins has become the center of attention in the last couple of days.

Per a report by Josina Anderson, Collins cleaned out his locker on Wednesday as he gets ready to go into free agency for the first time.

ig: josinaanderson on Twitter

I'm told that Giants S Landon Collins cleaned out his locker today at the team facility and said his goodbyes to teammates, coaches and trainers. It doesn't seem like Collins expects to be a Giant for much longer, per sources.

After Paul Schwartz attempted to assert that there was no claim to the report...

Paul Schwartz on Twitter

Attention those who care about the New York Giants: Landon Collins HAS NOT cleaned out his locker at the team facility. Repeat: Landon Collins HAS NOT cleaned out his locker at the team facility. Go about your business and have a nice day.

And Landon Collins had this to say...

https://twitter.com/TheHumble_21/status/1098315997839265792

If cleaning out a locker is any kind of evidence, then Collins is prepared to hit the market when free agency opens on March 13th. He joins a loaded safety group that includes Thomas, Houston Texans Safety Tyrann Mathieu, Los Angeles Rams Safety LaMarcus Joyner, Glover Quin of the Detroit Lions, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix formerly of the Green Bay Packers, but most recently of the Washington Redskins, and several others who could find new homes this offseason.

The Cowboys are very familiar with Landon Collins, as they've seen him nearly twice a year over the last four years. The three time Pro Bowler was one of the best players on the Giants defense. They would line him up in the box and at time use him to cover Cole Beasley.

Collins ranked first in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus in run stop percentage at 7.2%. Meaning on running snaps, he made a tackle that rendered the running play ineffective 7.2% of the time.For further reference, Jeff Heath made a run stop on 4.2% of his run plays, which was 15th in the NFL among safeties.

The only positions to have more of an impact on the running game were linebackers and the defensive line. Even if you include linebackers, his run stop percentage was 31st in the NFL. Leighton Vander Esch led the Dallas Cowboys with a run stop percentage of 11.3%, which was third among linebackers. Collins number nearly matched the run stop percentage of Jaylon Smith at 7.6%.

Add Collins to a defense that stops the run as well as the Dallas Cowboys did last season and you take your team to another level against the run.

Landon Collins will probably get the most money this offseason. He's only 25 and has had success in the NFL. Many teams will be reaching out to Collins when free agency opens and the Dallas Cowboys should certainly be one of those teams. Collins would be an excellent addition to the Dallas Cowboys defense and would allow Xavier Woods to stay in his role as the free safety.

We're just under three weeks away from the start of NFL free agency and the drama will only get bigger as the Cowboys look to add to their team.


Continue Reading

Player News

Report: Free Agent DL David Irving Not in Dallas Cowboys’ 2019 Plans

Jess Haynie

Published

on

David Irving

The Dallas Cowboys and troubled Defensive Lineman David Irving appear to be at an impasse. According to a report from David Moore of the Dallas Morning News, the team has "no intention" of trying to re-sign Irving and will allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Irving started the 2018 season with a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He only appeared in two games after that, registering one sack and four tackles.

David Moore on Twitter

Source: Cowboys have no intention of keeping DT David Irving at this time https://t.co/vqMNZty6Aq via @sportsdaydfw

Despite reports of David's ongoing issues with an ankle injury, Dallas never placed him on injured reserve. Then came the reports that Irving was missing practices and team meetings while dealing with personal issues related to the custody of his daughter.

The team stayed pretty mum on the subject of Irving's status throughout the year, falling back on the ankle injury when pushed. But after months, it became clear that either David, the team, or both parties were disinterested in his return to football.

The Cowboys had high hopes after 2017, when Irving posted seven sacks in just eight games. They placed a second-round tender on him last offseason as a restricted free agent and were surely ready to give him a long-term deal if he'd built on that success.

But David's issues, physical or otherwise, have clearly done the opposite.

Dallas is known for working with troubled players, as we've recently seen with Randy Gregory. That they're closing the book on Irving suggests there's an issue with his desire towards football.

It's a sad loss for both. David's potential is enormous, as evidenced by his productivity when he actually does play. But he appears more likely to hit the Commissioner's exempt list in 2019 than the football field, given the reports of multiple failed drug tests over the last year.

Hopefully David Irving can turn things around one day and capitalize on his talent. But if it ever happens, it appears that it won't be with the Dallas Cowboys.


Continue Reading

Player News

BREAKING: WR Terrance Williams Gets Dropped by Dallas Cowboys

Jess Haynie

Published

on

Takeaway Tuesday: What We Learned From Cowboys Loss To Packers
AP Photo/Ron Jenkins

The Dallas Cowboys have ended their six-year relationship with Wide Receiver Terrance Williams. According to multiple sources, they have declined a team option on Williams' contract and he will now be an unrestricted free agent in 2019.

The move will reportedly save the Cowboys $2.25 million in salary space this year.

Williams was the team's third-round pick in 2013 and started 68 of the 83 games he played in. He developed into a solid number-two receiver by the end of his rookie deal in 2016 and was given a new four-year contract that offseason.

David Moore on Twitter

Terrance Williams career w/ the Cowboys is done. Sources say the club has declined the WR's option for 2019, making him a free agent. The move is no surprise. He caught just 2 passes for 18 yards last season. His departure frees up $2.25 million on the cap.

After another decent year in 2017, things took a bad turn for Terrance last season. It started with an offseason arrest for public intoxication that eventually led to a three-game suspension, although Williams served that while on injured reserve.

The Cowboys already appeared to be giving Williams' spot away when they made several offseason acquisitions at WR; Allen Hurns, Michael Gallup, and Tavon Austin all were brought in even before Terrance's arrest.

While Williams did start in two of Dallas' first three games in 2018, he only had three passes his thrown his way. The team finally put him on IR due to ongoing complications with a surgically-repaired foot.

While it didn't end well, Terrance Williams' time in Dallas was ultimately a solid return for a third-round pick. He made a few big plays and was a proficient run-blocker, good enough to start in almost 75% of the team's games since he was drafted.

The Cowboys now hope that another third-round pick, Michael Gallup in 2018, will do bigger and better things.


Continue Reading



Enjoy 40% commissions on officially licensed products as a FanPrint affiliate. You can even make your own, fully licensed Cowboys and player designs! Get started here

Trending