Star Blog

Jimmy Johnson: Zero or Hero?

Inside The Star Side Lines - Jimmy Johnson: Zero or Hero?

[su_spoiler title="Introducing Tar Heel Paul" open="yes" style="fancy" icon="arrow"]I'd like to thank the fine folks of DallasCowboysNation.com for giving me the platform to express my unique views on all things Cowboys, football, media and fans. I'm going to cut to the chase - I'm an ass. I say what I think and don't give a damn if you or anybody else likes it. I call out everybody. The Cowboys, media (both Dallas and national) and yes, I call out some sorry ass fans too. My posts are true passion; straight from the heart. Unfiltered. So my job here is to rant, rant, and rant some more. So let's do this shall we?[/su_spoiler]

My first rant is going to piss a lot of Cowboys fans off. But I don't give a damn. And if you are a smart fan it shouldn't bother you anyway - it needs to be said. I am so sick and freaking tired of hearing Cowboys fans talk about how big of an idiot Jerry Jones is and how awesome Jimmy Johnson is, or was.

It's been more than 20 years since that egomaniac Jimmy Johnson "quit" and hauled ass on all of us. HE'S GONE. GET OVER IT. MOVE ON. But what really pisses me off about all of it is the jock-sniffing of Cowboys fans for Jimmy Johnson while acting like Jerry killed the Cowboys.

Now, I'm talking to ignorant Cowboys fans that still worship everything Jimmy and hate everything Jerry. The word ignorant is a harsh word, I know, but don't get your panties in a wad and cry about it. "MOM!!! THE BIG MEANIE BLOGGER CALLED ME IGNORANT!!!" But here's the simple definition of the word ignorant: Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge). And tons of you are just that when it comes to the Jimmy vs. Jerry debate. Feel better now? No? Suck it up. The truth hurts a bit, doesn't it?

[su_service title="Post Update" size="16"]5:15pm on July 10th: In response to some critics of the post on the DallasCowboys.com forums, I have updated the list below to more accurately reflect fact vs opinion, with supporting evidence where available. All links will open in a new tab/window.[/su_service]

So please, allow me to educate some of you:

• Jimmy Johnson is an egomaniac that only cares about getting credit and looking good
  • Jimmy Johnson openly talked to the media about interest in coaching the new expansion team out of Jacksonville, the Jaguars, in the middle of a Super Bowl run in 1993
  • Jimmy Johnson had just signed a 10 year contract extension when he did this - Jimmy still had five years on his original 10 year contract (Source: Johnson Signs 10-year Contract)
  • He had complete and total control of all things football while at the same time bitching that Jerry was "meddling" (Source: Dale Hansen: Jimmy Johnson Talks Dallas Cowboys at about 1:23)
  • Jimmy had it in his calendar (straight from his mouth) that he was going to leave the Cowboys after 5 years anyway, even knowing he signed a 10 year contract as stated above (Support: Jimmy: Don't blame Jerry for mid-dynasty divorce)
  • Jimmy hauled ass while the getting was good. They were fresh out of the draft picks that they stole from the Vikings and free agency was about to pick his team apart
  • Knowing this, Jimmy forced Jerry's hand at the annual owners meeting to fire his arrogant ass after totally embarrassing him in front of all his colleagues for oh..........about the 500th time (Support: Barry Switzer: Blame Jimmy Johnson for his departure from the Dallas Cowboys, he cheated on Jerry Jones)

Having all that security, what could possibly set Jimmy off? Oh dear God, he saw Jerry on TV announcing that he (not Jimmy) made a trade for Tony Casillas. Well cry me a freaking river hair boy! If that doesn't describe insecurity issues then I don't know what does. And after all this crap goes down, he cries like a bitch when Jerry suggests that 500 coaches could coach that team to a Super Bowl. He then uses that as his way to abandon a shipping sink like the rat he is. He set all of this in motion himself. This isn't just my opinion either. This is spoken by long-time Dallas personnel like Gil Brandt and Larry Lacewell.

In the end, Jimmy came out looking squeaky clean while Jerry came off like the asshole that wanted all the power. This is not about what Jimmy did while he was our coach. That greatness can't be denied. But what also cannot be denied is that he was a lowlife attention whore that wiggled his way out of a tough situation and left Jerry footing the bill.

If I'm Jerry? I'm throat chopping his ass Wahoo McDaniel style. (Google Wahoo McDaniel, it's worth it)

That's all fact. Not opinion. And yet there are so many Cowboys fans to this day that still worship this man and claim he's one of the greatest and should be in the Hall of Fame. To this I do not say no - I say hell no. He went to the Dolphins without Jerry's checkbook, or the Vikings draft picks, and did nothing but lose his last playoff game 62-7 to the Jaguars. Ironic that the team he wanted to coach while in Dallas handed him his ass and ended his career in Miami. If one of those two ends up in the Hall of Fame you can bet your ass it's gonna be Jerry Jones and not Jimmy Johnson.

How many Super Bowls does Jimmy have without Jerry? ZERO. How many does Jerry have without Jimmy. ONE. And he did it with one of the 500 coaches that he talked about. That coach also just happened to be one of the dumbest people to walk an NFL sideline - Barry MFN Switzer!

So to all you Jimmy Johnson jock-sniffers, just sit back and stroll down memory lane and let the facts zoom right over your head. And if it makes you feel better, just keep telling yourselves that he's the greatest and the Cowboys would have won five more rings if not for Jerry's "meddling" ways. I'll stay here in reality knowing that Jimmy screwed the Cowboys, Jerry Jones, and all of us fans.

So to you Mr. Johnson, I say enjoy raking in whatever cash you can with your squeaky clean image. Keep doing commercials for other guys who don't measure up. But I know the truth. You can't bullshit a bullshitter, Jimmy. At least not this one. But sleep well knowing you have thousands of ignorant fans fooled to this day.

You can follow Paul Leatherman on Twitter @Tarheel_paul

Family, God, and the Freaking Dallas Cowboys. That's my life. Married to a wonderful wife that knows to let me be during football season and she can have me for the other 6 months of the year. Father of 3 wonderful kids. 1 son that is proudly serving his country in the United States Air Force. 1 son that is a toddler and will be the future left tackle of the Dallas Cowboys. And one amazing and beautiful daughter that passed away in 2009 at the age of 4 that I can guarantee is running through heaven shouting "GO COWBOYS"!!! Everything I do in life is for them.

1. DarthGrumpa

July 10, 2014 at 10:39 am

All macking, all the time. Great job TP. Looking forward to more.

2. Tar Heel Paul

July 10, 2014 at 10:51 am

DarthGrumpa Thanks Darth! Starting to wonder if I was too nice. I can’t have that.

3. Tar Heel Paul

July 10, 2014 at 11:42 am

Don’t be afraid to comment bitches.

4. Kronos17

July 10, 2014 at 11:51 am

Tar Heel Paul I was a good deal younger at the time, but I remember seeing JJ talk about the Jags and WTF. Anyway, sweet post dude.

5. Thomas Walker

July 10, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Paul, I am best friends with Blair who writes for this blog and I appreciate your work, it seems like you have a lot of fun with your writing. it reminds me of the time Blair and I were watching the cowboys superbowl vs the steelers and our guys only party. But great site here and makes sense to have a site like this since most cowboy fans are gay and this site makes it easy for us to meet other gay cowboy fans in other places than the men’s bathrooms at the stadium. I can barely walk leaving cowboys game. Overall though great stuff and I hope to keep reading your posts.

6. Tar Heel Paul

July 10, 2014 at 12:51 pm

@Thomas Walker Thanks Thomas. Sorry about that time in the bathroom. Next time I’ll take it easy on you so maybe you can at least walk to your car. I’ve heard if you grab the hand bar in the stall it goes a lot smoother. Just what I’ve heard though. Can’t prove it. And yes. I have fun with anything I write. People get tired of the same old x’s and o’s crap. Just good old fashion bitching.

7. Tar Heel Paul

July 10, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Bryson Treece Tar Heel Paul Yeah no doubt. I have never understood how he kept clean in all of this. And thanks.

8. Bryson Treece

July 10, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Tar Heel Paul Bryson Treece Maybe the hair has some aerodynamic flying shit avoidance properties. Either way, can’t stand seeing that dude on the pregame show spouting off the same generic analysis every game. Barely even commits to his own winner predictions.

9. havmer

havmer

July 10, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Goatmouth should be coming along with all this gay talk

10. havmer

havmer

July 10, 2014 at 1:47 pm

oh how hate for jerry runs deep as I see others from other sites react to this post

11. Tar Heel Paul

July 10, 2014 at 1:54 pm

The people on the other site commenting on it are the exact ignorant fans I’m talking about. Did they even read the article. This has nothing to do with Jerrys failures as a GM or Jimmy’s success as HC. The man was fantastic. The article is about how he left and laying all the blame at Jerry’s feet. It’s BS

12. Chuck G

July 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Tar Heel Paul I’m a Jerry apologist dude. I’ll be in his corner till the day I die. And you’re right. Jimmy was leaving no matter what. Can’t blame that on Jerry. But while you’re screaming at everyone else to “get over it”. You need to take a little of your own advice. That was 20 years ago dude. WHO CARES WHY JIMMY LEFT. The issue is Jerry and his failure as a GM to get this team past the first round of the playoffs. Jimmy v. Jerry is irrelevant. You bringing it up “Just to piss off Cowboys fans” tells me you don’t have a relevant opinion about the current Dallas Cowboys. Your next “rant” should be about something timely.

13. Tar Heel Paul

July 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm

@Chuck G Tar Heel Paul My next rant will be about whatever is on my heart no matter how timely it is. So I’ll decide what to post on. I have personally gotten over it, But the problem is other people haven’t. There’s a 4 page post on another blog about this article to prove it. Not to mention the fact that I hear it almost every day from people. So for me it is timely.

And I didn’t bring it up just to piss people off. I did it to get it off my chest and “rant’ about it. Believe me when I tell you I have a relevant opinion about the current Cowboys. And that will come out in other post.

But I’ll tell you right now. My job as a poster here is not to post about position battles, x’s & o’s, or anything technical. My job here is literally to rant about stuff and try and get conversation going which in turn will hopefully lead traffic to this website. Literally they brought me on to be unfiltered and passionate. Whatever is own my mind. It’s the off season. It’s boring. Maybe it’s not your style. I’m cool with that. Objective criticism is always accepted. I do really appreciate your feed back and taking the time to read it.

14. BlackSuave

July 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I’m not upset with the article. I knew the story about Jimmy getting himself fired, him leaving a month before his ‘planned’ departure. All that carrying on he (Jimmy) did then is costing him now. The HoF voters aren’t impressed with a coach who quit in the midst of a possible 3-peat. You win three Super Bowls in a row as a coach, particularly for a premier franchise, and you’re a LOCK for the Hall. He’d have to kill 100 babies not the get in otherwise.

This doesn’t let Jerry off the hook, either. It’s been 20 years since all that nonsense. You can call it Jerry 3, Jimmy 2 all you want. We all know Jimmy’s TEAM won the 3rd one, so cut all that foolishness with that. Since then, Jerry can’t even get lucky. He can’t even hit on the law of averages and make it to a title game. In the last 18 years, every NFC team has gone to at least one…except 3 teams. Dallas is one of those 3. Get a mental image of this. It takes 2 teams to play in a conference title game. That means a team has a 1:8 chance to get there, multiplied over the course of 18 years. He’s batting .000. In short, that’s TERRIBLE.

Still has a job, though. That in itself is amazing.

15. Tar Heel Paul

July 11, 2014 at 9:43 am

BlackSuave Nope. It definitely does not let Jerry off the hook. He shoulders the blame as well. And the fact that we are in the drought that we are has to pretty much fall at the feet of Jerry. The buck stops there. He’s the one constant.

16. N504JB

July 12, 2014 at 4:32 am

For those keeping score at home:

Johnson also entered the 1990 draft looking for a defensive game changer–and he might have had one had he not thrown the overall first pick away by drafting Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft the year before. Why? He wasn’t sold on Aikman and Walsh had been his Q.B. whenMiami won a national championship.

So what happens, he’s stuck with the 17th overall and he’s trying like hell to trade with the Bengals who have the 12th pick to snag a d.b.–James Francis–but the Bengals won’t budge and with the Cowboys on the clock, running back coach Joe Brodsky is begging him to take Emmitt Smith. (This was written up in Sports Illustrated.)

But it gets better–or worse depending on your views of Jimmy Genius”. It is also a matter of record that in 1989 he wanted to trade Michael Irvin but Al Davis said, “Jimmy who are you going to throw the ball to?”

So, had Johnson had his way, there wouldn’t have been any “Triplets”.

Is there any other circumstantial evidence to suggest Johnson is vastly overrated?

Absolutely.

After pulling off a shameful Machiavellian coup to get Don Shula’s job with the Dolphins–who Johnson said were a Super Bowl caliber team. Under Johnson, the Dolphins never won the AFC East but did manage to participate in five post-season games, the last recorded as “The Day the Miami Dophins Died”, after the Dolphins took its worst beating in the HISTORY of the playoffs, losing to the Jags, 62-7.

Post-season record: 2-3; winning percentage, 55.3%.

At the end of the day, not only did Johnson fail in Miami, in the 13 years since he took the reigns of “a super-bowl caliber team–Miami has been to the playoffs three times, played in four games, and gone 1-3. Since Johnson ran Shula out of town 18 years ago, the Dolphins are 3-7 in the playoffs.

When the legend is more interesting than the facts, print the legend: and the Legend of Jimmy Johnson and the Dallas Cowboys is a far more interesting chapter in a book that ended with a loss of epic and historical proportions.

• John

November 18, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I have a copy of the 1989 draft. I think that Andrea Kremer said that the Patriots wanted to trade up to the #1 slot, and they would give Dallas three high draft picks (and maybe even a player, but I’m not sure). I wonder if Jimmy wanted to, but Jerry told him no.

17. Tar Heel Paul

July 12, 2014 at 12:58 pm

N504JB All excellent points and stuff I was going to include in this article but I was trying to make it more about how he left than what he did while he was here. But you are 100% spot on with the things you brought up.

18. Athens Texas born

July 18, 2014 at 9:09 am

You are on it here THP. A day does not go by without some hawks fan or other johnny come lately referencing the jimmy jerry thing to throw in my face. Relevant? Work in an office filled with people so clueless they dont grasp how 1 superbowl after 38 years of trying is not somehow magically superior to 20 years of drought.
    I will say give jerruh some credit. He has made some good choices. He could have decided not to buy the team. You will hear some people say it would have been better for us. The devil you know….

Star Blog

Could Loaded FA Safety Market Drive Down Earl Thomas’ Value?

Could Loaded FA Safety Class Drive Down Earl Thomas' Price Tag?

It's no secret the Dallas Cowboys and Earl Thomas share a mutual interest in one another. Thomas has publicly stated his desire to join America's Team and the Cowboys did their darndest to make that happen last offseason. Nothing ever materialized a year ago, but it's looking as if the stars have finally aligned and a union between the two could merely be just weeks away.

Surprisingly enough, the Dallas Cowboys may have dodged a bullet last year when the Seattle Seahawks refused to part ways with their All-Pro safety. Not only would they have had to surrender a high draft pick, but they would've also had to extend Thomas' contract. Fortunately, timing is everything and now the Cowboys might just have to do the latter.

A potential contract between the Cowboys and Thomas is of course what I want to dive in today. I'm not going to get into numbers right now, because it's nearly impossible to project any kind of contract for any safety this offseason, especially for the former Seahawk, Earl Thomas.

Earl Thomas

Free Agent FS Earl Thomas (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

Right now, it's a little difficult to know who might have the advantage in contract negotiations, Earl Thomas or the Dallas Cowboys. A lot of times the one that has the leverage, however slight, is the one that gets the better of the deal. As surprising as it may be, the Cowboys might just have the advantage here and I'll tell you why.

First off, this year's market for free agent safeties is pretty stacked with starting caliber players. See below:

• Earl Thomas
  • Landon Collins
  • Lamarcus Joyner
  • Tyrann Mathieu
  • Adrian Amos
  • Clayton Geathers
  • Ha-Ha Clinton Dix
  • Glover Quinn
  • Tre Boston
  • Kenny Vaccaro
  • George Iloka
  • Jimmie Ward
  • Adrian Phillips

Earl Thomas is obviously the headliner here amongst the free agent safeties, but having so many starting caliber players available could drive down Thomas' market value just a bit. This is especially true when you take into consideration the market for FA safeties just a year ago. It was almost a complete standstill last year, with only Kurt Coleman signing a three-year $16.5 million deal with the New Orleans Saints. Not even the "Honey Badger" Tyrann Mathieu could get more than a one-year deal.

With all of these safeties available in free agency, we could be looking at another stingy market. This of course could be good or bad news for the Dallas Cowboys, especially as it pertains to Earl Thomas. Since he is the top FA safety available, everything could once again be at a standstill until he is signed.

Earl Thomas

Free Agent FS Earl Thomas (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

Of course, we all know this will ultimately come down to determining Earl Thomas' market value. There is no denying he is still arguably the best free safety in the game today, but there are concerns about his age (30) and the two lower leg injuries he's sustained in the past three years.

Even with the loaded free agent market of starting caliber safeties and Thomas' age and recent injury history, he's still likely to receive a contract that earns him $10 million annually, give or take. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets another four-year deal worth $40 million, $25.7 million guaranteed, with a $9.5 million signing bonus like he signed with the Seahawks back in 2014.

The Cowboys of course would probably find a four-year $40 million deal for Earl Thomas acceptable. They would more than likely frontload the contract with a lot of protection in the details. They have the cap space to make this happen and still be able to sign their own, so money shouldn't be a problem.

Now, whether or not Thomas' market value may dip a little due to all of the above mentioned reasons will be something we will have to wait and find out. Regardless, I'd be a little shocked if Earl Thomas doesn't finish his career with the Dallas Cowboys.

Do you think Earl Thomas' market value will take a little hit this offseason?

Star Blog

Acquiring Brown Will Give Dallas Twin Turbo Terrors

Acquiring Brown Will Give Dallas Twin Turbo Terrors

What a difference a receiver makes, right? As Dallas fans, we know the impact of a player who can shake coverage, get open, and catch the ball. How was the season going before the Cowboys pulled the trigger for Amari Cooper in the deal with the Raiders? Cooper proved to be the lightning rod and a turning point in a season that was growing increasingly dismal. Dak Prescott and Cooper went together like peanut butter and jelly, while the Cowboys stormed to a division title and a postseason berth.

Now, imagine all of that times two… maybe even two and a half if Antonio Brown could be had from the Steelers. Scary right? We understand there’s only one ball to go around but that didn’t stop Kevin Durant from joining the Warriors, did it?

As of this writing, the best online sportsbooks like Intertops, are dealing Dallas as the seventh of 16 choices to win the NFC championship at odds of 12-1. Imagine how those odds would shrink if Brown wore a Cowboys uniform next season, giving Prescott the luxury of not one upper echelon wideout but that plus an elite receiver. Hut, hut, hut and a few clouds of smoke later the Cowboys would be moving the chains or celebrating in the endzone.

Brown and Cooper would be a devastating combination with Ezekiel Elliott coming out of the backfield. Brown was made for Dallas, it gives him an even grander stage than the one he shared with Ben Roethlisberger and Le’Veon Bell in Pittsburgh.

Despite the fact that the 'Boys haven’t won a Super Bowl since Barry Switzer was roaming the sidelines in the mid-90s, America’s Team still resides in Dallas. But we need a game-changer and Brown is just such an athlete. But what do we give in return and will that cost be worth whatever productive years Brown has left after this one? Let’s not forget that the mercurial Miami native will be 31 when the season begins and men who make a living with their legs don’t get better at that age. But Brown is so good and so unique that, even if he drops half a click, he's still amongst the best in the game.

That level of talent is hard to replicate and it could be the missing piece which allows Dallas to be a legitimate Super Bowl contender next season and the year after.

However, up to this point, we’ve been very good at dreaming of a Brown to Dallas trade but haven’t quite worked out the details. It takes two to tango and if we expect to get the Steelers’ attention we need to give them something valuable in return. Dallas surrendered their first-round pick (27th) this season when they traded for Cooper so that’s no longer an asset.

Pittsburgh would be vying for a first-round pick (and likely more) for Brown's services but some have speculated Dallas would consider dealing rookie-standout Leighton Vander Esch.

Wait... what? We know, you’re clutching your pearls, and the words are stuck in your gasp. We get it. The kid was a home run this past season, leading the Dallas defense in tackles and earning a Pro Bowl invitation in his inaugural NFL season. But this would be a Faustian deal.

The Cowboys give up a player who is poised to be a stud for years to come for a playmaker in Brown that could render a Super Bowl in the immediate future. Brown's expiration date will surely turn his milk sour sooner rather than later, but in the here and now, Antonio Brown could be the bell cow who leads the Cowboys to the promised land before he’s put out to pasture.

Just something to think about...

Star Blog

2018 In Review: CB Anthony Brown Bounces Back

Anthony Brown's Resurgence A Great Sign for Cowboys Defense
Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

To say it's been an up-and-down start to the career of young cornerback Anthony Brown would be an understatement.

As a sixth round pick in 2016, everything Brown contributed during his rookie season was a plus. Due to injury he was asked to step into a greater role as the season went on, and he performed well enough to make the front office comfortable allowing multiple veterans to walk for nothing in free agency the following Spring. Brown looked like a legitimate starting cornerback in the league, and when Dallas brought in Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis during the next draft, the young secondary seemed set.

Then 2017 happened. And Anthony Brown struggled. Really struggled.

These struggles, coupled with the emergence of both Lewis and Awuzie during their own rookie seasons, made Brown's status heading into 2018 rather uncertain. Some wondered if they would trade him for a day three pick, others thought Brown could even end up being cut. Jourdan Lewis and Anthony Brown were slated to compete for the nickel cornerback job in training camp, and as it turned out, all Brown needed was that one extra chance to compete.

Brown won the job outright during the preseason, and began 2018 as the starting nickel. A fan favorite, most thought Lewis would reclaim his rightful spot on the depth chart sooner or later, but Anthony Brown's play (and Kris Richard's preferences) kept Lewis on the bench for much of the season.

Simply put, Anthony Brown balled in 2018, and was the Cowboys' second best corner for most of the year. By the end of the season Chidobe Awuzie had regained form, but Brown and Byron Jones were the most consistently reliable corners on the roster all of 2018.

Brown tallied 44 tackles, 2 sacks, and an interception in 2018, and finished third on the team in pass breakups with 8. As the slot corner Brown had an excellent season, especially for a former sixth round pick.

Now he enters a contract year, and with the Cowboys having so many guys to pay over the next two offseasons, he could find himself as an unrestricted free agent in 2020. And if he can keep up his play from last year moving forward, he could be in for a nice payday that Spring.