After a demolishing W over the St. Louis Rams, the team sits at the top of the NFC East with a winning record of 2-1. But this is not the time to relax, and loosen the grip on the division, as I've always said this team is poised for great things this season. The Cowboys aren't yet at their best, there's more to do and a huge potential. The offensive line is doing a great job already and G Brian Waters brings more stability to the line, which helps a great deal in making room for the running game and protecting our QB. And what can we say about that D, huh? This group has managed to fit in perfectly in Monte's new defensive scheme. There are a few setbacks though, like the season ending surgery to Spencer is for sure a tough blow, but we need not to worry thanks to George Selvie who's doing a heck of a job. As for Miles Austin's hamstring, darn that nagging injury of his, well I guess it's a bit disappointing for him, the team and all of us #cowboysnation .
Now it's time to travel to South Cali and face the San Diego Chargers a 1-2 team, who's in a strong urgency for a win. Phillip Rivers leads a good solid team, but sometimes he just doesn't know how to win.
Here are my final stat predictions for key players:
- Tony Romo will have a great game against the Chargers, who are ranked last in the passing defense, averaging 9 yards per reception. So Romo will have 26 for 38 for 320 yards, and 2 TDs, with no picks.
- San Diego has one of the worst rush-defenses in the league so, like last week Bill Callahan will run the ball a lot, so I expect for Demarco Murray to have a 100+ rushing game and he'll catch 6 receptions for 35 yards more.
- This is the game for Dez Bryant to torch the secondary defense. Thus, this is the game where #88 explodes in the season, with 5 receptions for 145 yards and 1TD. The Chargers will surely double team Dez, but he will take his physical advantage and win those matchups against the banged up Charger secondary.
- As I said earlier Miles Austin will sit this one out, but Dwayne Harris will take advantage of that and he's gonna show off this game. 6 catches for 80 yds, also I'm expecting a TD from TE Gavin Escobar.
- As always Romo is going to look for Jason Witten for some catches. 7 receptions for 75 yards.
- This defense is going to keep the excellent work and create 2 turnovers.
So the Cowboys win this one 28-21, making the record 3-1 and getting a tough visit next week…stay tuned…
Follow me @gmandreu