Mo Claiborne didn't take the news very well of his demotion in favor of Orlando Scandrick. So much so, that he allegedly stormed out of the facility. If that's the case, then Mo can expect some type of disciplinary action.
What I don't understand is why did he take the news so hard? He knows he hasn't played well, even admitted to it after the game against the Rams. And he knows the only reason he was starting since the first game was because Orlando Scandrick was suspended.
I have backed Mo from day one, even wrote about it earlier in the year. But now I feel Claiborne has been in a fragile state of mind since he was injured once again in training camp. He wasn't able to get the work in that he dearly needed, and sure enough, it's showed.
He didn't play well against the 49ers; he played better against the Titans, but against the Rams he played what may have been the worst game of his career. Yes, he came up with the game ending interception, but that wasn't enough to cover up all the damage that had already been done.
He knows that, and after the Rams game he even said he "stunk it up."
"Not in my eyes," Claiborne said, when asked if the interception erased his struggles. "It seemed to do that with everybody else. Not in my eyes.
"I'm ready to go learn from this tape and get better from it. Like I told the DBs, no matter what the outcome is I can't go out and play like that. If we want to be the No. 1 defense in the league, on my end, I can't go out like that"
But maybe there was something else that set Mo off. Could it be he heard what owner Jerry Jones said about him in a radio interview earlier that same morning?
"Is he what we had hoped for at this point when we drafted him with the sixth overall pick, giving up the [second-round] pick to go up to the sixth pick to get him? No," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan. "But he's going to be a good player."
Even with hearing that, Claiborne has to act like a professional, and not like some spoiled brat that didn't get his way. Mo needs to think about the team first. The team has given him ample opportunity and this is no way to show his gratitude or warrant more.
I don't believe Mo will be released - I think he will be fined and put on the inactive list for the Saints game. But I think that's about all the disciplinary action that will be taken. I also feel once Mo has some time to think about this, he will realize what he did and that it was a mistake, and then own up to that mistake.
So in saying that, I feel all of this will be swept under the rug by the time the Saints game gets here. Well, it will be by the team and Mo. ESPN and the rest of the mediots will jump on this horse and ride it for as long as it will go.
Report: Center Travis Frederick Undergoing Shoulder Evaluation
After missing the team's walkthrough this morning, it is being reported that Dallas Cowboys starting center Travis Frederick is having his shoulder evaluated due to multiple stingers. According to reports, Frederick has been dealing with stingers all training camp, and the Cowboys are unsure what is wrong with his shoulder.
Frederick rarely misses any practice time at all, and has not missed a start since he entered the league in 2013. He's the catalyst of this offensive line, and will be greatly missed if his injury is severe enough to make him miss regular season game time.
Jason Garrett says Travis Frederick is getting his shoulder looked at in Los Angeles. He's been dealing with stingers. No update behind that #cowboyswire
Joe Looney has been tasked with replacing Frederick for the time being, taking first team center reps during today's walk through and practice.
Given how meaningless Saturday's game is, I'd expect Looney to start at center against the Bengals this weekend as well. Hopefully the evaluation reveals that Frederick's issues are not serious and he will be ready for game one, but consistent stingers will always make fans fear for the worst.
Cowboys G Marcus Martin Needs Surgery; Impact on 53-Man Roster
Marcus Martin, the veteran guard Dallas signed as a free agent last March, suffered a potential season-ending injury in the team's preseason opener last Thursday night. Just how long he'll be out is still be determined, but it still should impact the Cowboys' final 53-man roster this season.
Martin tore ligaments in his right big toe against the 49ers. However, as of yesterday, it was not decided if he would pursue surgery.
The Cowboys don't expect backup OG Marcus Martin to play this season after he tore ligaments in his big toe in the preseason opener, but he's seeking a 2nd opinion before deciding whether to have surgery. Martin signed a 1-year deal with Dallas as a free agent this offseason.
A former third-round pick in 2014, the 24-year-old was brought in as a potential reserve at both guard at center. He was still in competition with Joe Looney and others for a roster spot, though, and his minimal one-year contract suggested nothing was guaranteed.
Even if Martin doesn't have surgery, he is almost sure to miss the start of the season. Dallas would likely place him on injured reserve, but still have the option to recall him after Week 8.
Marcus' absence all but guarantees that Looney will return in 2018. This will be his third year in the system and his ability to play center is critical.
In my 53-man roster projection last week, I had both Looney and Martin making the team. So if I had that right, that means a spot has opened up for probably fifth-year veteran Kadeem Edwards, who was playing with the second unit in the preseason opener.
The notorious Chaz Green, who has played guard at times, could also be the beneficiary of the open roster spot.
Damien Mama, an undrafted free agent in 2017 who Dallas added this offseason, is the only other guard currently on the roster. We should get to see more of him as the preseason continues.
Marcus Martin's availability, or lack thereof, and how it ultimately impacts the roster will be determined in the coming weeks.
LB Jaylon Smith 100% Healthy Entering 2018 Season
If you need any more reason to be excited about the Dallas Cowboys upcoming 2018 season, then look no further than their 2016 second-round draft pick, Jaylon Smith. His comeback story from the devastating knee injury he sustained in his last collegiate game at Notre Dame has been well-documented, but recent news suggests his journey has finally come full circle.
Once considered a top-five pick, Smith saw his draft stock plummet due to concerns he may never be able to step foot on the field ever again. Fortunately, the Dallas Cowboys were willing to gamble he would be able to make a full recovery and once again become the player he was with the Fighting Irish.
The long and grueling rehab process couldn't have been easy to endure. Jaylon Smith was forced to pretty much redshirt his rookie season and played on a pitch count Year 2 while he continued to rehab, waiting for nerve regeneration that may never fully heal.
Luckily for him, he joined a team with a really good support system both on and off the field. A support system that just so happened to include his brother, Running Back Rod Smith. It's that support system that could have made a huge difference in his approach to rehab. An approach that may have finally paid off.
All reports indicate Jaylon Smith is 100% healthy once again, or as close to it as possible. Rod Smith, his brother, said Jaylon is back to being as good as he was at Notre Dame. Jaylon however said he is even better than he was. But, they are not the only ones weighing in on Smith's health.
Scouting Director Will McClay went on 103.3 FM ESPN Radio Monday morning and declared LB Jaylon 100 percent healthy from the injury he suffered in college that kept him out his rookie season in 2016 and had him on a pitch count in 2017.
Will McClay isn't the only one that has noticed a difference in Jaylon Smith. Head Coach Jason Garrett has said Smith has grown leaps and bounds from last year and are treating him like a player with no limitations.
"Again, he worked hard in his rehab. Coming into this off-season he was able to take that brace off. I think that's freed him up a little bit," Garrett said.
"And he just looks much more natural. So again, you'll have to ask him that very question, but from our point of view, he looks like he's moving around really well, changing direction really well, making a lot of plays. I think he's gaining more confidence with each day. We really don't have a plan for him right now. He's full-go and ready to practice every day with no limitation."
All of these accounts certainly make it sound like Jaylon Smith's arrow is trending upwards and that he is as healthy as he has been since joining the Dallas Cowboys.
Luckily, we don't have long to see him in action. I don't know about you, but Thursday night when the Cowboys take on the San Francisco 49ers in the Week 1 of the NFL Preseason can't get here soon enough.
Are you excited to see a 100% healthy Jaylon Smith this season?
Star Blog2 weeks ago
Should Cowboys Regret How They’ve Handled The Safety Position?
Dallas Cowboys1 week ago
5 Cowboys From 2017 Who May Not Make Current Roster
Dallas Cowboys1 day ago
Cowboys DE Randy Gregory Has Breakout Day in Camp
Dallas Cowboys2 days ago
Possible Cowboys Roster Cuts Who Could Have Trade Value
Star Blog1 week ago
Don’t Freak Out About The Cowboys Passing Game Just Yet
Star Blog1 week ago
DE Taco Charlton Bigger, Stronger, Faster in Year 2?
Star Blog2 weeks ago
Rico Gathers May Make Cowboys Roster on Raw Ability Alone
Player News1 week ago
LB Jaylon Smith 100% Healthy Entering 2018 Season