Player News

The Assumed Backup: Moore & Williams Both Getting Benefit Of Doubt

In a recent appearance on Cowboys Cast, I discussed the Dallas Cowboys’ stability at the Wide Receiver position with host Bobby Belt. Bobby said that he felt the receiving corps. didn’t take as much flack for 2015 as maybe they should have. It’s a fair point when you consider that the Cowboys, entering the season as supposed Super Bowl contenders, fell flat on their faces to the tune of a 4-12 record. Now to be totally fair to everyone the absence of both Tony Romo and Dez Bryant certainly influenced things in a negative manner.

RJ Ochoa

Cowboys Headlines - The Assumed Backup: Moore & Williams Both Getting Benefit Of Doubt 3

In a recent appearance on Cowboys Cast, I discussed the Dallas Cowboys' stability at the Wide Receiver position with host Bobby Belt.

Bobby said that he felt the receiving corps. didn't take as much flack for 2015 as maybe they should have. It's a fair point when you consider that the Cowboys, entering the season as supposed Super Bowl contenders, fell flat on their faces to the tune of a 4-12 record.

Now to be totally fair to everyone the absence of both Tony Romo and Dez Bryant certainly influenced things in a negative manner. I did agree with Bobby though; We all saw Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, and Kellen Moore take quite the public beating on Twitter week after week... but what about those receivers?

Terrance Williams, often criticized for his tendency to "body catch" the passes thrown his way, finished the season with 52 catches for 840 yards and 3 touchdowns. This is particularly disappointing considering that at this time a year ago T-Will was getting all the work as the primary receiver when Dez Bryant was absent while working on the contract he'd eventually get.

It was at this moment in the conversation that a thought suddenly dawned on me.

We spent a great deal of time debating whether or not the Cowboys should take a quarterback with the 4th Overall Pick. This was in a world before the Rams and Eagles both tried to completely undo their involvement with Sam Bradford by trading up to #1 and #2 respectively for franchise signal callers. The reason many petitioned for a quarterback was partly due to the future status of Tony Romo's health and partly due to the lack of talent behind him at the position.

Cowboys Headlines - The Assumed Backup: Moore & Williams Both Getting Benefit Of Doubt 1

Kellen Moore is, for reasons yet to be understood by the large contingency of Cowboys Nation, the answer in the event that Tony Romo does go down. In two games and some change during the 2015 season, Kellen completed 61 passes for 779 yards with 4 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. This seems excusable because Kellen threw all of those passes left-handed, only until you realize that he actually is left-handed.

To make a long story short, or a really long story less long, while I was answering Bobby's question I realized that Kellen Moore and Terrance Williams are, in a lot of ways, the same person in terms of what they contribute to the Dallas Cowboys. One way stands out above the rest.

They Are Both The Assumed Backup At Their Position

We already discussed the banter about the Cowboys taking a QB at #4 when it was feasible. They didn't go that route, but they did draft Dak Prescott in the 4th Round (who now wears #4... I love stuff like that). It's unlikely that Dak dethrones Kellen as the second quarterback on the depth chart, and Jameill Showers seems destined for the practice squad yet again. There simply isn't any competition for Kellen and he's basically being handed the backup job.

The same can almost be said for Terrance Williams. While, yes, Brice Butler is in town and looking to show what he can do while paired up with Tony Romo... this is Terrance's job to lose. Wide Receivers Coach Derek Dooley recently inferred that Terrance will hold on to this job and that it would take some sort of unforeseen circumstance to change that.

To most fans these moves at such important positions feel like a settlement. How can we be so wishy-washy at points on the roster that plagued us just a year ago? It's not like they plagued us in general, they plagued us because of the EXACT SAME PLAYERS THAT ARE IN THE SAME POSITIONS.

Cowboys Headlines - The Assumed Backup: Moore & Williams Both Getting Benefit Of Doubt 2

Come to Hypothetical City with me for a second. What if Tony Romo and Dez Bryant both go down again? Is it unlikely that the football gods hate the Cowboys that much? Probably. Nevertheless, that level of armageddon is at the very least possible.

So alright we're assuming that's the case. Who would take over for them? Kellen Moore and Terrance Williams. Well right on! That worked so well last year! We're doing smart things! Yay!

The portion of the offseason where acquisitions are made (Free Agency and the Draft) have come and gone, with the Cowboys addressing these two positions by simply drafting Dak Prescott. That's it.

I've said before on here and different podcasts (you should listen to my weekly one, the RJOShow) that the Cowboys are approaching the 2016 with a sense of arrogance. The selection of Ezekiel Elliott, as much as well all love it, is a glaring indication of that disposition.

Perhaps the most flagrant sign of pompousness from this Front Office and Coaching Staff is that they are not only willingly but intentionally relying heavily on both Kellen Moore and Terrance Williams as the assumed backups at their respective positions when in the most recent sample size taken they both failed miserably.

Usually when arrogance is displayed it's because whoever is doing it feels like they can back up their claim. Hopefully the 2016 Dallas Cowboys can... because otherwise it's going to be pretty embarrassing.

What are your thoughts? Is it arrogant or irresponsible to just hand over the backup jobs to Kellen Moore and/or Terrance Williams? Let me know! Comment below, Email me at RJ@RJOchoaShow.com, or Tweet to me at @rjochoa!

Tell us what you think about "The Assumed Backup: Moore & Williams Both Getting Benefit Of Doubt" in the comments below. You can also email me at RJ.Ochoa@SlantSports.com, or Tweet to me at @RJOchoa!

I like long walks on the beach, mystery novels, no just kidding those suck. The Dallas Cowboys were put on this earth for us all to love and appreciate. I do that 24/7/365. I also love chicken parmesan. Let's roll. @RJOchoa if you wanna shout!

1. Kevin Black

June 14, 2016 at 9:48 am

I don't know how much arrogance is involved here. Dallas did try to upgrade both positions at different times. Brice Butler was traded for a 5th round pick. Devon Street was also picked in 2015. Both tried to address the possible difficiencies in the WR corps. Dallas also tried to upgrade the backup QB position by trying to trade up for Paxton Lynch but ended having to settle for Dak Prescott. I think the problem here is the lack of opportunity to upgrade the positions. While people always say to not draft for need, especially giving up to much for need, it's amazing how many fault Dallas for not drafting players to fill needs. Here we are again lamenting how Dallas hasn't been able to fix every single hole on this team. At some point players have to step up. Every team has holes and it's the team that manages to hide those as best as possible or have players step up and turn those weaknesses into strengths that determine how far you go. Health is a huge part of that, no matter how much we wish it wasn't. At this point we just need to watch and wait to see if players step up or if the front office was able to find the right players to help. This may be one of the most exciting times of the year, right after the Playoffs and Draft.

2. George Johnson

June 14, 2016 at 1:59 pm

You mentioned that Dallas is being arrogant and you also mentioned K Moore and T Williams failed miserably in 2015. I disagree about K Moore and the coaches decisions concerning him. I think they tried to bring in another QB to compete with K Moore but were not successful. I have followed K Moore his whole career and read everything said about him. I think the coaches can see K Moore is close to being a good QB especially a backup QB. They have said they think he can play in the NFL and be a good backup QB for T Romo. S Linehan has basically said he can make most of the throws required in the Dallas offense and that he makes up for his lack of a strong arm with his accuracy and uncanny anticipation. The coaches have said he is a knowledgeable/smart/instinctive QB who can do things that you can't coach. S linehan has also said he is very experienced because The sports writers and fans don't like him because he does not look like an NFL QB, is not very athletic and does not have a strong arm. I also believe the Dallas coaches don't think he failed miserably in 2015 if you factor in the fact it was his first time playing against first team defenses and he had limited reps getting ready to play. He move the ball well, made some good plays, but also made some mistakes. The coaches are aware the mistakes/deficiencies K Moore had are areas he has always excelled at so is likely to improve in these areas. A few better plays and he could have won one game and possibly even two and then the sports writers and fans would have a better perspective. I would add the really good news concerning K Moore's 2015 play is that his physical deficiencies did not seem to show up much in his play. I think K Moore is likely to play well in the 2016 preseason games, and then the sports writers and fans will have a better perception on K Moore's ability to play.

3. RJ Ochoa

RJ Ochoa

June 14, 2016 at 3:13 pm

I know you're both questioning my arrogance comment, but it's something I firmly believe. There's no denying that Zeke helps this team, I'm not here to dispute that. Perhaps I should have elaborated and said that the Zeke pick coupled with the Jaylon pick is what's arrogant. They're assuming that they can just re-channel their 2014 success. What stars have they legitimately ADDED since then? Really just Byron Jones if you think about it. Zeke is better than DeMarco, but the production from that "star" is what they're looking to reclaim.

My point is more than they're walking a thin line rather than they're being arrogant. They're intentionally trying this approach, and hey it worked so why not. What's particularly arrogant/irresponsible is that even though Kellen Moore showed a few nice things and he supposedly has this faith… What he and Terrance Williams did in a large sample size was something that cannot and shout not be counted on.

If either one of them is forced into a similar situation they're going to fold. We saw it happen. And now we're an injury away from having it happen all over again. That's the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Pigskin Hub – Pro Football Forums mobile app

4. G Saras

June 14, 2016 at 9:54 pm

So you are willing to throw in the towel on Moore and condemn his ability to play all the while not considering for one second his lack of playing time, lack of first team snaps and thrown in with hardly any time with the offense? How ARROGANT of you!! I love how you say Prescott helps this team. How do you know that? I am sure the Raiders said the same with Jamarcus Russell, the Chargers said the same with Ryan Leaf and so on…. Critics and armchair quarterbacks love to say, " He can throw the ball 70 yards!" What difference does that make when you miss the target by 5 yards or you don't make the right reads? Jay Cutler has a cannon of an arm. How is his Super Bowl or even playoff resume? Give Moore a chance, a honest chance, before you hate on him.

5. G Saras

June 14, 2016 at 9:59 pm

6. RJ Ochoa

RJ Ochoa

June 15, 2016 at 10:28 am

We gave Moore a chance. This isn't criticism developed out of thin air. He had his chance in 2015 and failed miserably. So did Terrance Williams. That's the point I'm making. And despite the glaring inefficiencies that they showed we are still relying on them in the exact same capacity as the ones they dwindled in.

Sent from my iPhone using Pigskin Hub – Pro Football Forums mobile app

7. George Johnson

June 15, 2016 at 6:19 pm

RJ Ochoa: You said, "We gave Moore a chance. This isn't criticism developed out of thin air. He had his chance in 2015 and failed miserably." I don't want to repeat myself but here is where I think you are wrong. I don't think he failed miserably especially if you factor in the circumstances, and neither do the coaches. He actually showed he was close to being an effective NFL QB. He did a lot of positive things but made too many mistakes. If he can improve/correct his mistakes/deficiencies which were mostly uncharacteristic for K Moore based on his past performances, he could win some games and have good QB stats. I do not believe that ten and one half quarters of play is enough to evaluate a QB. I believe it should be more like six games. I would say the coaches are relying on someone who has only partially proved himself plus has not yet demonstrated he can make the improvements in his mistakes/deficiencies. If K Moore does not step up in the preseason, I believe they will look to find a veteran QB to bring in. I am confident he will step up and play well.

8. G Saras

June 15, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I said an honest chance. Under your guidelines there would be many hall of fame, super bowl winning, playoff bound, pro bowl quarterbacks that would of never been. Your "we gave him a chance" comment is ridiculous. And who is "we"?

9. Calvin Vincent Weaver

June 16, 2016 at 1:19 am

So Moore had his chance and failed. I wonder how many NFL quarterbacks have thrown for over four hundred yards in their second start. I know, I know, he was playing against unmotivated non-starters. I would think they had plenty of motivation… like trying to keep their jobs. And Kellen likely would have won that game had McFadden not fumbled the cell phone…I mean football…at the goal line, and Beasley wouldn't have stopped running on his crossing route at the goal line. Also, I think the first two starts of most NFL quarterbacks are rough and certainly too small a sample size. Elway and Aikman would likely have been benched according to your idea of a "chance."

10. Paul Nottingham

June 18, 2016 at 10:26 pm

I am a Big Fan of Kellen Moore, from his days at BSU. I think one of the things that is not addressed in this converation about his Debut in the last couple of games is that He had few to no reps with the first team receivers. he was on the scout team and mostly played with 2's and 3's, before he came in the last 2 games. He had little to no rythm or trust with those guys. Kellen had new receivers each year at BSU along with some veterans. He and the receivers developed trust and TIMING. His Picks were uncharacteristic of him In Dallas. I would expect to see far fewer if any picks after having worked with the First team receivers in the OTA's and preseason. No, he does not fit the mold of the prototypical NFL QB, but let's judge him this year after having spent many reps with the entire receivers corp. I am looking forward to seeing him play well and march the ball down the field when he does get to play. He has already shown tremendous Team ethic in learning how ROMO does things and he will emulate that so that when he does go in, the transition will be smooth. The receivers won't have to think about how he does it differently than Romo, they can just go do their job, play their position and get to the ball…I am confident it will be there for them. thanks.

Player News

Leighton Vander Esch To Top Rookie Season With Pro Bowl Trip

Next Day Rant: Cowboys Drafting LB Vander Esch Looks Pretty Smart Now

Dallas Cowboys' rookie Leighton Vander Esch has done enough to prove every single doubter wrong. When Roger Goodell called his name during the 2018 NFL Draft in Arlington, Texas, many in Cowboys Nation rejoiced at the thought of having a young linebacker for a defense surrounded with uncertainty. However, many analysts doubted the draft pick. For a lot of people (sadly, I include myself in this category), the pick should've been used on another player. For most, despite acknowledging his raw talent, Vander Esch wouldn't be able to provide the Cowboys with an instant impact player. Ah, well.

After a remarkable season, Vander Esch (a.k.a. Wolf Hunter) has earned a spot on this season's second-team All-Pro. When the Pro Bowl voting began, Vander Esch was snubbed from the ballot itself. It didn't took the NFL long to realize their mistake and add the Cowboys' linebacker to the list. Despite missing the cut at first, Vander Esch will be heading to Orlando to play in this year's Pro Bowl on January 27th.

The former Boise State Bronco will be replacing Carolina Panthers' LB Luke Kuechly, who won't be participating because of an injury.

Vander Esch racked up 140 tackles (per Pro Football Reference), ranking third in the league in this category. He finished the season as the fifth best linebacker in Pro Football Focus' rankings.

But numbers aren't really enough to fully appreciate what Vander Esch did for the Dallas Cowboys. A team that was used to seeing its defense break when veteran Sean Lee went down injured, did not only get someone to fill in for Lee. Vander Esch actually upgraded the Cowboys' defense. It didn't matter where the ball went, he was always around when opponents were tackled. His speed and chance of direction allowed him to run sideline to sideline, covering a huge portion of the field.

Along Jaylon Smith, Dallas managed to have one of the best linebacker duos in the NFL.

The last time a defensive rookie from the Cowboys went to the Pro Bowl was in 1981, when Everson Walls made the team. Vander Esch is the 11th rookie in team history to be selected to the Pro Bowl. This year, the rookie will be accompanied by DeMarcus Lawrence, Byron Jones, Tyron Smith, Zack Martin and Ezekiel Elliott.

Tell me what you think about "Leighton Vander Esch To Top Rookie Season With Pro Bowl Trip" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!

Player News

Cowboys Expect C Travis Frederick Back for Offseason Program

Travis Frederick

Lost in yesterday's hoopla over Scott Linehan's return was a positive report about Center Travis Frederick. In his comments to the media, Jason Garrett said that Frederick's recovery timetable should allow him to a full participant in the team's offseason program.

After never missing a start in his first five years, Travis missed all of 2018 dealing with the effects of Guillain-Barré Syndrome. The disease attacked his neurological system and required immediate and intensive treatment.

Rob Phillips on Twitter

Jason Garrett says the team anticipates Travis Frederick being involved in the offseason program right from the start this spring if he continues on the same positive track in recovery from Guillain-Barré syndrome. #cowboyswire

While Joe Looney performed admirably in Frederick's absence, he's not an elite talent. Travis has been arguably the best center in the NFL since entering the league in 2013.

It's hard to qualify what effect not having Frederick had on the Cowboys offense in 2018. Ezekiel Elliott still led the league in rushing, but short-yardage plays weren't as automatic as we've seen in past years. A 4th-and-1 stuff was part of what led to the Cowboys' loss this past Saturday.

Dak Prescott was the second-most sacked QB in the NFL in 2018. After being sacked just 25 and 32 times in his first two seasons, the number skyrocketed to 56 sacks.

That's not all on Frederick, of course. Tyron Smith had some health issues and there were was turnover at left guard.

But having your All-Pro veteran center out there to help with the pre-snap reads, and help the rookie guard on his left, might have helped avoid some of those issues.

Indeed, Travis Frederick's return is just one of many reasons for optimism with the 2019 season. One of the best players on the team, he was sorely missed this year and can only help as Dallas looks to build on their division title and playoff appearance.

Player News

For Cowboys to Beat the Rams, Dak Prescott must Lead the Way

Playoff Scenarios Aim Towards Seahawks vs Cowboys in Wild Card

In the NFL wins and losses often come down to quarterback play. That isn't to say that if a team wins, it was all because of the quarterback and inversely, if a team loses that it was all on the quarterback. Teams win or lose games. Generally speaking, however, the quarterback has the highest amount of influence on the outcome of an NFL game. This will be no different for the Dallas Cowboys this Saturday when they take on the Los Angeles Rams in the LA Coliseum. For America's Team to make their first trip to the NFC Championship Game since 1996, Dak Prescott has to have a good game.

This looks to be a good matchup for the Dallas Cowboys offense, which should allow Dak Prescott and the Cowboys to take advantage in certain areas.

A few Rams Passing Game Notes

• The Los Angeles Rams were middle of the pack against the pass this season, allowing the 14th fewest passing yards in the league this season.
  • The Rams allowed 7.7 yards per attempt. Dak Prescott is averaging 7.6 yards per attempt since week 10 of the season.
  • The Rams allowed the eighth most passing touchdowns in the NFL this season. They and the New Orleans Saints are the only teams in the top 10 of passing touchdowns allowed in the playoffs this season.
  • The Rams were 15th in the NFL in sacks, with 41, but Aaron Donald accounted for half of that with 20.5 sacks on the season. No other player had more than five sacks.
  • They were third in the NFL in interceptions, collecting 18.
  • The Rams allowed the ninth highest yards per completion on the season at 11.8. So on average, every completion went for a first down.

Dak Prescott is playing as well as any quarterback in the playoffs at the moment. Over the last nine games, he's averaging 272 passing yards, two total touchdowns, was only intercepted four times, and was sacked on average 3.2 times per game.

On Saturday night, we saw Scott Linehan put the ball in his hands on a couple designed runs that nearly scored touchdowns. It was an excellent addition to the offense that could help fix the Cowboys red zone woes. Getting Dak Prescott running on some designed runs or quarterback draws could help slow down Aaron Donald and the pass rush.

The Cowboys needed every bit of Dak Prescott magic to overcome a stingy Seattle Seahawks defense in their Wild Card win and they'll need him to step up again this week against the Rams. Every team is going to attempt to take away the running game to make Dak beat you and as he continues to mature, he's getting more and more comfortable doing that. He's comfortable with the big stage and the big moments.

NFL Research on Twitter

Dak Prescott Since 2016, including playoffs * 15 game-winning drives (Most in NFL) * 13 primetime QB wins (Most in NFL) * 19 rush TD (Most in NFL by QB) #DallasCowboys @dak

No Quarterback in the NFL has more game winning drives, rushing touchdowns, or wins in primetime than Dak Prescott. When we talk about Dak Prescott, we talk a lot about the things that he can't do as a passer and deservedly so, he still has some growing to do in that area, but in the things that you can't objectively quantify -- mental toughness, resiliency, clutchness, will, determination -- Dak is one of the best in the NFL. He's as mentally tough as they come in the NFL and he doesn't let the spotlight or the game situation phase him. He has that stuff that's hard to put your finger on.

The Dallas Cowboys will need more of that on Saturday night in Los Angeles. The Rams can score and can score in bunches and if the Cowboys defense starts sluggish or has an off night, they'll need Dak Prescott to keep them in the game. Even if the defense has a good game, Dak still has to come through in the passing game and on the ground to give the Cowboys a chance to pull off the upset.

The Dallas Cowboys are going to try to run the ball against the Rams on Saturday. That's their identity; run the ball, control the clock, and be efficient in the passing game. Prescott, either with his legs or with his arm will have to make some plays to extend drives and keep the Rams offense on the sideline. He'll need to be sharp in the red zone to convert those opportunities into touchdowns. Settling for field goals against the Rams is how the Cowboys get beat.

This matchup with the Rams looks to set up nicely for Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys, yet how things look on paper doesn't mean much when the lights go on and the whistle blows. It's a big stage and it's another win-or-go-home game for the Cowboys (like every game has been over the last nine weeks). In a big game, you need big time players, and the Cowboys have one in quarterback Dak Prescott.