Game Notes

Why the Cowboys will leave Seattle 4-2

Brian Leatherman

Cowboys Blog - Why the Cowboys will leave Seattle 4-2

If any of you reading this have read my work before, you would probably say I’m a homer. And that’s not too far from the truth, but... I’m not totally a homer. When I see something, I’ll give my opinion on the situation and why I feel that way.

Folks, this article is going to be no different, well maybe a little. Many fans have high hopes going into this game against the Seahawks. Many think we can beat them and show them the Cowboys are the new top dog. Folk’s, I’m not one of those people. I don’t think Dallas has a shot in hell at winning this game. It’s not often I say that about a Tony Romo led team. I’ve always felt that with Romo leading this team the Cowboys always had a shot.

This Cowboys team isn’t on the Seattle Seahawks level yet.

We desperately want them to be, as fans, but it’s just not our time yet. I remember back in 1991, we had just been handed our own asses by the Detroit Lions in the playoffs. I remember how young our team was and how awesome it was to have the Cowboys where they were but it wasn’t their time yet. I remember my dad (who didn’t keep up with football very much) telling me, “Those boys are a year away from making noise”.

My pop is a business man, so he knows a good thing when he sees it. He hadn’t kept up with Cowboys football very much but he could see how things had changed in the short time that it did.

This is how I see these Cowboys now, except for having an awesome VETERAN QB in Romo, you could say this team - offensively - looks a whole lot like that team back in 1991. But here is the big difference. The 2014 Cowboys defense is not on the same level as that 1991 team. Don’t get me wrong, the defense is way better than most expected. It’s not surprising to me because I’ve called it since I started writing here back in January of this year. But as of right now, this defense has some problems that will keep it from taking that next step this season.

One of those reasons on defense being that the Cowboys have trouble stopping the run.

Coming into this game against the Seahawks, the Cowboys rank 20th in stopping the run; the 'Boys defense allows a little over 120 rushing yards a game. Well guess where the Seahawks rank in rushing offense? That’s right, number one. The 'Hawks average almost 170 yards a game.

It will help having Rolando McClain back in the lineup, but it’s the boys in front of Ro that are the problem. Tyrone Crawford is playing well, but I feel he’s best suited for pass rushing. Terrell McClain isn’t playing up to par so far, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see Davon Coleman or Ken Bishop take his place. But, with what they have now, these guys can’t stop the run.

Go back and look at every game the Cowboys have played. Each team was able to run over this defense. The Titans didn’t get over a hundred yards but they averaged close to 8 yards a carry. The Rams ran the ball the way they wanted, the Saints got over a hundred as well, and the Texans ran the ball down our throat. I was thrilled when I would see them drop into a shotgun formation with 5 wide.

The Seahawks rely heavily on their run game, which they should. They have “Beast Mode” Marshawn Lynch running behind one of the better offensive lines in the league. They have a QB in Russell Wilson who last week against Washington showed he can put up over a 100 yards rushing without a problem. And let’s not forget Percy Harvin running his reverse sweeps.

All those weapons on the Seahawks' offense are going to be too much for this defense to handle.

So some of you fans might be thinking our offense isn’t too shabby because our boys rush for over 160 yards a game. And you’re right, the Cowboys' o-line is one of the best in the business, but they go up against the best team in the league at stopping the run.

Those dogs in Seattle barely allow a little over 60 yards a game. And how has this Cowboys team has been winning? On the ground. And what do the 'Hawks do to help them win games? Stop the run.

This Cowboys team will not be able to run the ball in Seattle, which will lead to this team leaning on the pass entirely too much. And that’s exactly what this Seahawks team wants other teams to do. They want teams to pass against their nasty pass rush and their intimidating defensive backs.

Don’t get me wrong, I know we have weapons like Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, Jason Witten, Cole Beasley, and Dwayne Harris, but Seattle's defense has someone who can match up with those players and not blink an eye.

My final reason why the Seahawks will beat the Cowboys is playing in Seattle - 19-1 including playoffs since 2012 at home. There is no other place in the league like CenturyLink Field in that respect. When those fans get going, they can literally make it feel like there is an earthquake going on. Those fans play a big part in why those guys haven’t lost but once in the last 20 games played there.

I know anything can happen in sports. I’ve been around a long time and seen a lot of upsets and you wouldn't believe how much I want to be wrong about this.

But it’s just not going to happen. The Seahawks will win going away 38-10.

Brian has been a football junkie from the time he was 5 years old. He lives, eats and breathes the game. Brian is a college graduate living in the south who loves his faith, his family, and his Dallas Cowboys.

1. aerdna smailliw

October 11, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Agree with most of this except the statement that the Cowboys will not be able to run on the Seattle defense. They will be able to run on that defense and I wouldn’t be surprised if they do it quite well. Seattle is only giving up only 62 yards a game b/c their opponents have given up on the run not because they have stopped any of them. If Dallas can stay within 10 points throughout the game and keep Murray relevant the entire game they will be within striking distance of a win at the end.

2. bleatherman2011

bleatherman2011

October 11, 2014 at 7:56 pm

The defense will be the reason why we will not be able to stick to the run in this game. I hate saying it but it’s what I feel about this game. But hey, I was wrong about the Saints games as well

3. Raulz Nero

October 12, 2014 at 12:46 pm

On any given Sunday, anything can happen. The Cowboys have a better chance than previous meetings. Dallas has to play its best to beat the champs. Cowboys just need to keep doing what they are doing. Run that ball!!!. Go Cowboys!!!

4. Bryson Treece

October 12, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Say what you will about the Cowboys – use any stats you like – but ultimately it comes down to the Cowboys finding a way to win games. They’ve done it all year, save for San Fran which I believe is because Romo was still injured and unable to twist to throw. In my mind, a win today says these Cowboys are the real deal this year. A loss says what Brian mentioned – they’re a year away.

5. LurkingBrowny

October 13, 2014 at 7:15 am

Where can I get one of these cushy jobs speculating? Seems easy enough.. You don’t have to be right, or even close to right. You don’t have to say anything popular. You don’t have to take any risks. You just watch ESPN all week then throw your hat into the speculation arena… Call me, I got this.

6. DC4ever

October 13, 2014 at 8:02 am

When you deem opinion newsworthy you end up eating your words. Looks like you spent a lot of time on that story too, I couldn’t get past the 1st paragraph before I realized it wasn’t news. Enjoy chewing, maybe take a journalism class and quit putting your guesses in print.

• Bryson Treece

October 14, 2014 at 11:37 am

I’m amazed it took you so long to realize it wasn’t news. The entirely speculative title you clicked on to get here didn’t clue you in? Hmm… Can I interest you in this fine bottle of blinker fluid?

Game Notes

Jason Garrett’s Decision Making Stands Out in Playoff Loss

Are the Dallas Cowboys Distancing Themselves from HC Jason Garrett? 2

The 2018 NFL season has come to an end for the Dallas Cowboys. The Los Angeles Rams were simply the better team on Saturday night in the Coliseum and it showed in the 30-22 loss. While it was a disappointing performance, there were several things to take away from the game to give us reason for optimism moving forward. Connor Williams played well against Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh on the interior, Dak Prescott kept the team in the game despite little help from the running game, and Head Coach Jason Garrett perhaps coached his best game from a management point of view.

After the first drive, this game had one of those, if the Dallas Cowboys have to punt, it's likely going to be a loss feels. The defense's inability to force more than one punt or create a turnover was going to make it really difficult for the offense to keep up, and yet at the end of the game, the Cowboys were within a score and had a shot to win. Dak Prescott deserves a lot of credit for that, but so does Jason Garrett.

Here's why.

4th and 1's

Jason Garrett has long been viewed as a conservative coach in the NFL, and this season he didn't do much to help his reputation, but that game on Saturday should change some of that perception. On a night where it looked like his defense didn't have it, he called the game he needed to maximize his team's possessions.

On the opening drive of the game for the offense, the Cowboys got to the Rams 49 yard line, but faced a 4th and 1. Garrett didn't waste any time going for it and the Cowboys were able to convert on Ezekiel Elliott's five yard run. A Marcus Peters' unneccessary roughness penalty gave the Cowboys an extra 15 yards and the Cowboys scored on the next play on Amari Cooper's 29 yard catch and run to give the Dallas Cowboys the lead.

It would be their only lead of the night.

Again, in the second half, the Cowboys faced a 4th and 1, this time it was at the Rams 41 yard line and this time, the Cowboys were down 23-7. This was not nearly as difficult a decision as the Cowboys were in catch up mode and needed to get a score to bring the game within striking distance, and they did just that. Again, Elliott picked up five yards when the Cowboys needed one and Elliott capped off th drive with a one yard touchdown run after Michael Gallup's long reception on a broken play.

At the Rams 35 yard line and the game within reach, the Cowboys went for it again on fourth down, but this time were stopped short of the first down marker when Ndamukong Suh made an excellent play to prevent Elliott from picking up the yard. On the play, you can see Suh start to Joe Looney's left, which forced Elliott to go to Looney's right and Suh followed Elliott into the hole. There was much Looney could do as Suh had the necessary leverage to make the play. It was absolutely the right call to go for it in that situation, but the Cowboys went to the jumbo formation-Elliott inside run one too many times. It was clear where the ball was going to go in that situation, and they were stuffed.

On what turned out to be the final drive of the season for the Dallas Cowboys, they needed to score and score rather quickly to have a chance to get the ball back one more time. The offense scored, but took a little too much time doing so as the drive took just over five minutes off the game clock. Again, on the drive, they were faced with a fourth and 1, but this time they used Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott on a speed option to the right and they were able to convert and eventually get the touchdown.

For the game, the Dallas Cowboys went three for four on fourth down attempts.

Point After Decisions

In the middle of the third quarter, the Dallas Cowboys scored to make it 23-13. Generally in the NFL, teams don't go for two until they have to go. Knowing that possessions were going to be few and far between the Cowboys were likely going to have to score on every possession the rest of the game, Garrett went for two and the Cowboys converted to make it an eight point game.

Then after the Dallas Cowboys scored to make the game 30-21, there was much discussion on social media on whether the Cowboys should have gone for two there or just kicked the extra point, which was a bit surprising.

To me, it was simple. Kick the extra point to make it 30-22 and hope your defense gets you the ball back and you can score again. If you go for two in that situation and don't make it, the game is essentially over with just over two minutes remaining. Taking the extra point kept you in the game, even if it was still only a slight chance to pull out a win.

Declining Penalties

With about 3:20 to go in the third quarter, the Dallas Cowboys defense faced a third and two situation around midfield against the Rams. They were able to force Rams Quarterback Jared Goff into a hurried throw and he overthrew Josh Reynolds in the flat for what would have been a first down.

On the play there were two penalties, offensive holding and offensive pass interference and Jason Garrett declined the penalties.

To me it was one of the boldest coaching decisions has made in his career on something that seemed very innocuous.

Sean McVay and the Rams were having their way with the Dallas Cowboys defense as Todd Gurley and C.J. Anderson gashed their way to over 100 yards rushing each. With the Rams facing a fourth and two on the Dallas Cowboys side of the 50 yard line, most people thought the Rams would go for it there and completely steal the soul of the Dallas Cowboys.

Johnny Hekker did his best to get the Dallas Cowboys to think he was going to run a fake, but the Cowboys never panicked and stayed onside as the punter attempted to game them.

It was a huge call in that situation. If Garrett accepts the penalties, the Rams would have faced a third and 12 at their own 43 yard line, but would have had another opportunity to convert the first down and extend the drive.

I really liked the call, because it put McVay in a difficult position himself. If the were to go for it and fail to convert on fourth down, the Cowboys would have gotten the ball at about midfield with a chance to tie the game.

Kicking Deep vs Onside Kick

With the new rules governing kickoffs, mainly that teams have to keep a amount of players on each side of the kicker, onside kicks have become less and less successful in today's NFL. Even before the rule changes, recovering an onside kick was less than a 50/50 proposition.

Kicking deep was really the only decision to make. The hope is that your defense is able to get a stop and the Cowboys would get the ball back with decent field position.

And it nearly worked.

The Dallas Cowboys run defense came up big on first and second down, holding the Rams running game to three yards setting up a third and seven. Just as everyone was expecting the Rams to throw it, they ran a play action with a naked bootleg that left Jared Goff all alone on the outside with a ton of room to run, and zero Cowboys in position to prevent him from picking up the first down.

Ball game.

✭ ✭ ✭ ✭ ✭

On Saturday, Ian Rapoport from NFL Network, reported the Cowboys were looking to extend for Jason Garrett this offseason. It should come as no surprise as he helped orchestrate an impressive turnaround from 3-5 to 10-6 and NFC East champions all while fielding one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Jason Garrett has grown a lot as an NFL head coach and in the playoff loss, made excellent decisions to keep the Cowboys in the game. He's going to be around here for a long time and there should be a lot of optimism heading into 2019 that the Cowboys can make some strides.

Game Notes

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly From Cowboys Divisional Round Loss

The Good, Bad, and Ugly From Cowboys Divisional Round Loss

Well Cowboys Nation, the Dallas Cowboys 2018 season had to come to an end at some point. Not many of us would have predicted earlier in the season that it would've come at the hands of the Los Angeles Rams in the NFC Divisional Round, but that's what happened and it's kind of bittersweet.

I don't know how you feel today, but I don't find myself all that upset the Dallas Cowboys season is officially over. Yes, I would've loved to see them completely dominate the LA Rams and advance in the playoffs, but I'm surprisingly really pleased with the way this team played this season. We have to remember that this is a young team and this is hopefully just the beginning of something great.

Today, I want to share with you some of the positives and negatives from the Cowboys game against the Rams Saturday night. This of course will be the last edition of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly for the Dallas Cowboys 2018-2019 season.

The Good

Dak Prescott

Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott

Finding the positive after a loss isn't always the easiest thing to accomplish. The Dallas Cowboys didn't particularly play their best football Saturday against the Rams, which makes it even more difficult. But for me, the good has to be the resiliency and grittiness the Cowboys played with in LA.

I don't think anyone would argue that the LA Rams pretty much dominated the entire game Saturday. They put the Cowboys on their heels pretty much from the get-go, which took them out of their game. Dallas was never really able to establish their running game and couldn't get the Rams offense off the field. They've been able to pretty much do that against all their opponents this season, but just fell flat at the wrong time.

Despite getting manhandled, the Dallas Cowboys continued to fight back and never quit. They could've easily rolled over and given up, but they didn't. I think that really speaks volumes to the kind of players Dallas has on the roster. This is a really talented young team with a bright future ahead of themselves.

The Bad

C. J. Anderson

Los Angeles Rams RB C. J. Anderson (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

Anyone who watched the game Saturday night pretty much knows what goes in this category. The bad for me and probably everybody else is how the Dallas Cowboys defense was gashed by the Los Angeles Rams rushing attack. C. J. Anderson and Todd Gurley absolutely dominated on the ground, leading their team to victory.

I knew the Rams rushing attack would give the Cowboys defense problems, but I never imagined they would rush for nearly 300 yards and multiple touchdowns. C. J. Anderson and Todd Gurley may be the ones earning all the praise with their performances, but they definitely wouldn't have found as much success as they did if not for their offensive line.

Dallas' front seven has been really good against the run all season. They only allowed a couple of 100 yard rushers this season (Chris Carson, Marlon Mack) until Anderson and Gurley both rushed for over 100 Saturday night. Unfortunately, the Cowboys DL just got overpowered by the Rams OL and it definitely impacted the outcome of the game.

The Ugly

Ezekiel Elliott

Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott

What was pegged to be a matchup between two of the best running backs in the NFL, Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliott, ended up being pretty much a one-man show. That is why the ugly Saturday night for the Dallas Cowboys in my opinion was their rushing attack.

We all know the Cowboys offensive blueprint is to establish the running game to help control the clock and game speed. That unfortunately never materialized Saturday night against the Rams, a team by the way that was giving up 5.1 yards rushing to opposing running backs. It was supposed to be a matchup that favored Zeke and Dallas' ground game.

I'll give credit where credit is due though. The Rams defensive line stepped up their game and didn't allow Zeke to get any kind of momentum going in the running game. They gave the Cowboys OL all they could handle and pretty much made their offensive attack one-dimensional. They wanted to put the game in Dak Prescott's hands and for the most part accomplished what they set out to do.

What is your good, bad, and ugly for the Dallas Cowboys against the LA Rams?

Game Notes

Sean’s Scout: Cowboys Run Defense, 4th Down Decision End Season in Los Angeles

Sean Martin

Sean's Scout: Cowboys Run Defense, 4th Down Decision End Season in Los Angeles

The last round of the Dallas Cowboys fight in 2018 came at the hands of a hungry Los Angeles Rams team, ending their season in the Divisional Round behind 273 rushing yards. Effectively, the third seed in the NFC beat the Cowboys at their own game with the bye week to prepare. The fallout from this loss won't be fully realized until the sting is gone, but sweeping changes aren't expected in Dallas after a resurrection from 3-5 saw the Cowboys within a few plays of the NFC Championship Game.

How those plays were made and what the Rams did to execute a near flawless game plan is the subject of this final Sean's Scout of the season.

• The Rams' success on the ground against Richard's defense was stunning for a lot of reasons, none more so than the way Linebackers Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith struggled to react and fight off blocks.

The Cowboys issues at linebacker were a result of their front four getting blown off the ball all game by LA's offensive line. I wrote in my final game preview piece about how the Cowboys needed to win the line of scrimmage on both sides, losing with their own offense when the game was in the balance and never putting up a fight on the defensive line.

To the Rams' credit, even the simple things Sean McVay's team executes are done with an attention to detail that makes them very difficult to contain. The Rams did a great job scheming blockers to the second level, where Smith and Vander Esch were handled to the point of playing tentatively and taking poor angles.

In what could be his final game with the Cowboys or the end of his career, Sean Lee played 21 snaps, one shy of his week 17 total when the Cowboys played the Giants with the division already wrapped up. Getting caught in a game they couldn't possibly win against the better team at home, the Cowboys defense had no answers for Todd Gurley and C.J. Anderson.

• Dak Prescott's "in the grasp" call when he scrambled into La'el Collins' arms on third down was a bad look for the officials, but also an injured Cole Beasley, who was late working his route back to Prescott and into his line of vision.

If Beasley was at full strength, he's likely able to stop his vertical route sooner and give Prescott an easy throw underneath as he rolled to the right. Left with nowhere to go, Dak had the play blown dead after Right Tackle La'el Collins wrapped his arms around Prescott while scrambling.

With the way the Rams came out on offense, it became clear that every Cowboys possession would be of dire importance. Losing one on a strange call like this was a blow Dallas never had a chance to recover from.

• Lost in the Cowboys turnover on downs in the fourth quarter, the final time they touched the ball within a score, is the incredible third down throw Prescott made on the run to Noah Brown.

To give his offense a chance on fourth and short, Prescott delivered a strike to Brown on the sideline for 13 yards. Without being able to set his feet, Prescott felt the pressure well and put the ball where only Brown could secure it falling out of bounds.

It's unfortunate the next play became the defining moment of the season for Dallas. Deciding to attack the strength of the Rams' defense, Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, and Michael Brockers were ready for an Elliott rushing attempt right up the middle out of 12 personnel.

Not only was Center Joe Looney beat on the play, but Collins lost leverage and was beat across the face to further clutter the middle of the field for Elliott to be stopped short. Making matters even worse, the Rams came out and attacked the Cowboys defense by flashing the misdirection plays that worked all night.

In just 12 plays, Anderson scored his second touchdown to all but put the game away for LA. The Cowboys would use Prescott's legs much too late on the ensuing drive, getting into the end zone but failing to get the ball back.

✭ ✭ ✭ ✭ ✭

As mentioned, this won't be an offseason of drastic change for the Cowboys. Bowing out in the divisional round for the second time in three seasons, adjustments to both the coaching staff and roster are needed for this team to take the next step.

For a team that looked nothing like a postseason contender for much of the regular season, the Cowboys improbable run of close wins came to an end against the Rams - determined to not lose their first playoff game in consecutive seasons.

They won't be happy with the result, but the Cowboys should be proud of their final outcome on this year.

As always, I'd like to thank Cowboys Nation for reading another season of Sean's Scout. Win or lose you make this job fun.

Tell us what you think about "Sean’s Scout: Cowboys Run Defense, 4th Down Decision End Season in Los Angeles" in the comments below. You can also email me at Sean.Martin@InsideTheStar.com, or Tweet to me at @SeanMartinNFL!