Star Blog

Moving On From Tony Romo, This Is Dak Prescott’s Era

Dez Bryant, Dak Prescott, Offense

It seems like just yesterday when Tony Romo, beloved quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, went down in the third week of the preseason. We all remember it. It hurt. Remember what we all thought? "He'll be back soon, meanwhile we'll win some games with this kid, Dak Prescott. And when Tony gets back, we'll just move on." Things sure were different though. Dak started winning. A lot. And when he won, the inevitable happened. The media and fans started talking.

Out of nowhere there was a quarterback controversy in Dallas and just like that, the situation with Dak Prescott and Tony Romo became the story of the year.

It seems unbelievable that all this began all the way back in September, 2016. We, as fans, were divided. Team Tony and Team Dak. Many of us, including Dak, were sure this was Tony’s team. Number 9 was the guy who would lead Dallas to the playoffs, and maybe even to Houston. But a time came when no one could deny it. The Dallas Cowboys had a new QB1.

Dak Prescott had taken over the team

We know the story; Dak Prescott went 8-1 in the first 10 weeks of the season, including victories in an overtime win versus the Philadelphia Eagles and a shootout against Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Tony Romo gave an emotional press conference about how Dak, the rookie, had earned the right to be the starting quarterback. For a second, it seemed as if the media would finally stop talking about it and move on.

They didn’t.

In week 14, Dak Prescott lost for just the second time in his NFL career. After a bad performance versus the New York Giants, the Romo talk came back at full speed. People doubted the rookie once again, saying, "He isn't ready for this moment." He proved people wrong one more time. After clinching the #1 seed in the NFC, now the talk was…

“Can Dak Prescott do it in the Playoffs?”

Yes, the Cowboys lost in their first postseason game this year, adding an ugly loss to Dak Prescott's NFL career. But he threw for 302 yards (eighth most by a Cowboys QB in postseason, Tony Romo never surpassed that mark) and became the first rookie QB in NFL history to throw for three touchdowns in a postseason game.

The last question mark Dak had to face before the season ended was answered. Even if it didn't end the way we all wanted, he played at a great level. He led the team back from an 18-point deficit to tie the game at 28 and then again at 31. He was calm, he was cool, he was himself.

There's not a single doubt now

I'm a Tony Romo fan. I've always been a Tony Romo fan and I'll continue to be one wherever he ends up playing. He was the first quarterback I ever saw as a young Cowboys fan. I grew up watching him, defending him every Monday at school, and feeling empty when he went down injured. I'd be lying if I told you that up till week 9 this season, I was expecting Tony to return and be the starting QB for this team.

But now, there's no doubt. Dak Prescott, the story of the 2016 NFL season, the surprise rookie, the new face and the new leader of the Dallas Cowboys, has begun another era for this franchise. For a large generation of young fans, he is only the second guy to come in at this position.

Dak has been the guy since week eight, maybe even earlier. He led the team to 13 wins, the #1 seed, and was close to winning a shootout with Aaron Rodgers -- one of the league's best -- in the Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs.

Now that the season is over, it's a good time to reflect. It's time to recognize Dakota Prescott and trust him as the future of this great franchise.

A new QB, a new face, a new era.

How do you feel about Dak Prescott leading this team in years to come?

Let us know in the comments below, or tweet me @PepoR99 and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for an NFL show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly 4 Downs Podcast!

Tell me what you think about "Moving On From Tony Romo, This Is Dak Prescott’s Era" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!

I love to write, I love football and I love the Dallas Cowboys. I've been rooting for America's team all the way from Mexico ever since I can remember. If you want to talk football, I'm in... You'll find me at @MauNFL.

1. Travis Diggs

January 24, 2017 at 2:24 am

I’m a 3o yrs old Ben I cowboys fan since I was 5 I was blessed growing up with Aikman I suffered through Bledsoe, Carter, etc, etc I like Romo but never Fell in love. Them boys up Front n Zeke & company, THEY PLAYED FOR DAK!!! It’s hard as a Cowboys fan to watch 12 years of Romos up and downs n injuries And then get a breath fresh air wit DaK Who doesn’t forecefeed it Dez, Spreads it to everybody, and O yeah by the way can scramble and got us some rushing tds. I can’t wait for the future It will be bright But I can say I hope Romo goes to the Broncos I believe we play the Afc West this year coming up That would be Great!! DAK VS ROMO2017

• shelly saucedo

January 24, 2017 at 5:09 am

I’ve been a Cowboys fan forever, since the days of Landry. I can honestly say that I will miss Tony. Too bad he didn’t have the opportunity to play with the the strength of the O-line, and Elliott this season…
      A true gentleman, athlete and loyal leader. Thanks TONY ROMO #9,
      For never giving up!

January 24, 2017 at 8:42 am

Tony was my first QB as a young fan. To see his time come to an end is painful for me… I’ll never forget him, I agree with you Shelly, Thanks Tony.

• shelly saucedo

January 25, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Hey thanks Mauricio,, I have cried over his departure, mostly the way it all transpired,, everyone says.. This is business! Well, business or no business, Tony deserved better that’s for sure! Glad to see there are those who still respect and admire #9!!!

January 25, 2017 at 2:38 pm

He did deserve better, but at the end of it all he said himself; Dak earned the right to be our QB. Respect for 9 and for 4! Future looks awesome.

January 24, 2017 at 8:40 am

Hey Travis! I would’ve loved to watch the Troy Aikman Era… As a young fan my first QB was Tony Romo and to see his era come to an end really breaks my heart. I couldn’t agree more with your excitement for the future! It looks bright and I’m sure Dak will take this team to places that a whole generation of fans have never experienced.

• shelly saucedo

January 27, 2017 at 9:33 am

The era of Aikman was truly awesome, as was Staubach!
        You guys have posted some really great comments. Usually there are rude comments from bunch of negative know-it-alls.
        Once again, a reminder of what a true sportsman Tony Romo is,, Publicly praising Dak Prescott knowing he no longer held his position, had to have been gut wrenching. I can only imagine the hurt and embarrassment he felt from the all the negative comments the media and public were saying about him. Yet he stood in front of millions of eyes and conducted himself as a true gentleman. I hope you get your well deserved ring of honor Tony Romo!

January 27, 2017 at 11:10 am

I hope so too, Shelly! Thank you for reading our site!

2. bad dawg

January 27, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Change! Yes he did! Clear and Convincing(not a mere preponderance of evidence)! .

3. dallas1966

February 10, 2017 at 7:33 am

Been a diehard Cowboys fan since Dandy Don Meredith and the great Bob Hayes, the original #22. I’ve seen the ups and downs of the Cowboys. The greatness of Coach Landry with the innovative landry hitch and the doomsday defense. Jerry Jones buying the Cowboys and bringing in Coach Johnson, to revitalizing the Cowboys, back to greatness. I’ve witness, the transactions of Meredith, Morton, Staubach, White, Peuller, Hoogeboom, to Aikman, Walsh, Carter, Hutchinson, Testerverdy, Bledsoe, Romo, taking the keys of the franchise, with various results. Only Staubach and Aikman, bringing home the Lombardi Trophy back to Big D.

Now, I’m witnessing, a quarterback, that as a rookie, has accomplished what normally takes, a veteran to accomplish. I’m excited for the Cowboys organization future, with Dak, handling the keys to the franchise. I admire his Tom Brady like qualities, at the quarterback position. I think not only will Dak be the face of the Cowboys, but the NFL, as well, down the road, because of his humility and work ethic towards his profession. Dak maturity, is off the chain. After, it’s al said and done, I truly believe, that Dak, will be spoken in the same breath as Staubach and Aikman, he`s that special, like Romo and Brady.

February 10, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Hey there!
      Dak is truly special, I agree with you. There’s something about him… you just can sense it. Years to come will be great for this franchise. Thanks for reading!

Star Blog

How The Tables Have Turned for 2019 Dallas Cowboys

How The Tables Have Turned for 2019 Dallas Cowboys

The 2018 season was a two-part tale for the Dallas Cowboys. The first is the story of a mediocre 3-5 team that couldn't get it going offensively. The second part is about a football team that turned its season around, made the playoffs, got a win in the postseason and ultimately lost to the team that ended up representing the NFC in Super Bowl LIII, the Los Angeles Rams.

Surely, 2018 didn't go as planned. The storylines leading to last season are actually very different from the ones we're hearing today. Let's take a look at a few examples of how the tables have turned for the Dallas Cowboys.

The need for a true WR1

Last season, Dak Prescott and the Cowboys preached the philosophy of not needing a #1 wide receiver. While that could've sound encouraging at the time, once the season began the team was proven wrong. They did need a WR1. Fortunately, this season we won't have to worry about it. This year, Dez Bryant shouldn't be a discussion topic among Cowboys' fans.

Amari Cooper is in the house. And he's been pretty good since he started playing with a Star on his helmet. If we have conversations about the WR position, they will not be about who's the #1 guy. With Michael Gallup showing up late in the season, it probably won't be about who is #2 either.

How Cowboys Set up High-Stakes Division Meeting with Eagles at Home

Back on top of the NFC East

Last year, the Dallas Cowboys were not really the favorites to win the NFC East. The Philadelphia Eagles had just made history by winning their first Super Bowl ever and it seemed like the Cowboys would have to get a wildcard spot to play in January. Now it's the Cowboys back on top after sweeping the Eagles and turning their once 3-5 season around.

That of course, means a tougher schedule next season. However, it's nice to be back on top of the division. These two teams will surely have an intense race for the division title next season. Maybe we even see them both in the playoffs for the second consecutive year.

Sean Lee's uncertain future

I'm pretty sure no one expected Sean Lee to be considered a potential cap casualty for the 2019 season. Even if he was, it would've probably been anticipating an injury or something like that. No one would've imagined that Leighton Vander Esch would be so good to take Sean Lee's job.

The Cowboys' first round rookie truly earned the starting role as the defense's weak linebacker and he should keep it. With Sean Lee set to return to the field, I'm sure we didn't expect him to be a backup by now. We'll have to wait and see if the Cowboys decide to part ways with him. As a fan, it would certainly be painful. But we can't deny it would be a move that makes sense.

✭✭✭

It's a crazy franchise on a crazy league. Who knows how things will go from now on, but the Dallas Cowboys certainly look like a promising team heading into the 2019 offseason. Here at Inside The Star, we'll continue to update you with the latest on your favorite NFL team.

Tell me what you think about "How The Tables Have Turned for 2019 Dallas Cowboys" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!

Star Blog

Cowboys en Español: Volviendo a la Idea de Earl Thomas

Are the Dallas Cowboys Done Pursuing FS Earl Thomas? 1

El año pasado, Earl Thomas fue uno de los temas de conversación más frecuentes para los aficionados de los Dallas Cowboys. Después de que los Seattle Seahawks no le dieran su deseada extensión de contrato, Thomas se convirtió en un candidato a ser intercambiado de su equipo. Entre los favoritos estaban los Cowboys, quienes tenían una necesidad en su defensiva secundaria. Ahora que la temporada 2018 llegó a su fin, la misma necesidad por un safety de calidad está presente en Dallas.

Sólo que en esta ocasión, Earl Thomas no está bajo contrato con ningún equipo. Su último momento con el uniforme de los Seahawks fue en un carro de lesiones, donde salía lesionado en dirección a su vestidor. Esto mientras se despedía de su equipo con el dedo de en medio extendido hacia sus entrenadores y compañeros. Así concluyó su temporada y su carrera en Seattle.

Ahora, listo para cumplir los 30 años en mayo, Earl Thomas probará la agencia libre cuando comience en marzo. Y sin lugar a dudas, uno de los equipos candidatos a firmarlo serán los Dallas Cowboys. Es un equipo que a pesar de tener una de las mejores defensivas la temporada pasada, se vería muy beneficiada con la llegada de un profundo del calibre de Thomas.

A pesar de su edad y las lesiones, Thomas continúa siendo uno de los mejores en la liga. Su talento es innegable y tendrá toda la disposición de demostrar lo que vale cuando tome el campo la próxima temporada. Cuando llegue el momento, podríamos ver una guerra de ofertas entre varios equipos de la NFL para llevarse al veterano a sus respectivas ciudades.

La pregunta es: ¿estarán los Dallas Cowboys en esa guerra de ofertas?

Los Cowboys tienen espacio en el tope salarial. Sin embargo, este no durará mucho considerando que DeMarcus Lawrence está esperando su merecida y cara extensión después de jugar bajo la etiqueta franquicia en 2018. Además, jugadores que aún están bajo contrato también estarán buscando ofertas este offseason.

Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper, y Byron Jones están en la lista de quehaceres de la administración. Eso sin mencionar a Cole Beasley, cuyo contrato ya expiró y podría llegar a la agencia libre en marzo.

A pesar de esta complicada situación, los Dallas Cowboys deberían buscar conseguir a Thomas. Siendo sinceros, la defensiva tiene mucho talento y podría mantener su nivel en 2019. Pero hace falta un jugador en la posición de safety para llevar a esta unidad a otro nivel. Un nivel realmente capaz de ganar en postemporada enfrentándose a cualquier tipo de ofensiva. Sin importar que tan explosiva sea. Y además de esto, un jugador que sea capaz de robar el balón y hacer jugadas de impacto constantemente.

Cuando los Cowboys se enfrentaron a Seahawks en temporada regular, Thomas dio un buen ejemplo de esto interceptando en dos ocasiones a la ofensiva de Dak Prescott.

A pasos de un equipo de campeonato, un movimiento agresivo para obtener a Earl Thomas sería algo genial para Dallas. Vimos como los Rams de Los Angeles fueron agresivos al construir su equipo y llegaron hasta el Super Bowl este febrero. Quizá es tiempo de que Jerry Jones y compañía sean igual de agresivos y vayan por ese safety elite que la afición lleva pidiendo desde el offseason del año pasado.

Tell me what you think about "Cowboys en Español: Volviendo a la Idea de Earl Thomas" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!

Star Blog

Slot Machine: Amari Cooper in the Slot Could be Even More Dangerous

Slot Machine: Cole Beasley Out, Amari Cooper In?

Amari Cooper was a dangerous man with the Dallas Cowboys after he arrived via trade from the Oakland Raiders last season. He was one of the big reasons why they were able to turn around a season that looked as if it was circling the drain and I don't think anybody would argue the point. But, I think he could be even more dangerous in 2019, especially if Cole Beasley departs via free agency.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you pretty much know the topic of the Cowboys offseason so far has centered around Cole Beasley and his future with the organization. He has been invaluable in Dallas since arriving as an undrafted free agent in 2012, but it's looking more and more as if he could be taking his talents elsewhere in 2019.

With Beasley more than likely moving on, the Cowboys will need to find someone who can replace his production in the passing game, especially in the slot. Everybody assumes Dallas needs to go outside the organization to find that player, but I'm not so sure. I think they already have a wide receiver more than capable of stepping in, and he just so happens to be there first-round draft pick this year.

In case you haven't figured it out already, I'm talking about Wide Receiver Amari Cooper. He has mostly been used as an outside receiver in his professional career, but he does have the skill set and route running ability to be a really dangerous out of the slot. I'm not talking about a full-time move into the slot or anything, just a marginal increase in snaps.

Amari Cooper

Dallas Cowboys WR Amari Cooper (AP Photo/Rich Schultz)

According to Rotounderworld.com, only 12.6% of Amari Cooper's snaps in 2018 were out of the slot. For comparison sake, Cole Beasley's snaps in the slot was 85.9%, the highest of any receiver in the NFL last season. That's a huge difference, not one the Cowboys should try to match with Cooper or any other potential slot WR replacement.

Personally, I'd like to see Cooper's snaps playing out of the slot increased to around 20%. That would put him in Odell Beckham Jr. territory (19.9%), and we all know how difficult he is to cover all over the field. It would likely do the same for Amari Cooper.

I just really like the idea of him having the entire field to work with and the favorable matchup it creates with slot/nickel cornerbacks around the league. Can you imagine opposing defensive coordinators trying to figure out how to contain a player that has the kind of speed and route running ability that Amari Cooper has? They better stock up on Tylenol, because that is a surefire way to get a headache.

This is course is just speculation at this point, especially since we don't know what the Cowboys offense will look like with Kellen Moore taking over the playcalling duties. But if it was me, I'd be doing everything in my power to get the ball in the hands of my best WR, Amari Cooper, and that might mean increasing his snaps out of the slot.

What do you think about using Amari Cooper out of the slot more often in 2019?