Cowboys Seriously Considering Investing in a 1st-Round WR?

Cowboys Seriously Considering Investing in a 1st-Round WR?

Defense. Defense. Defense. A lot of Cowboys Nation believes that's the only direction the Dallas Cowboys should take with their first-round selection. It's completely understandable to believe that way, but it is a little bit narrow-minded to be honest.

Yes, the Cowboys need to upgrade and add depth to several positions on the defensive side of the ball, but this team is an offensive minded squad. The offense will always come first, which is probably why the Cowboys coaching staff has been focusing heavily on scouting wide receivers and offensive lineman.

Despite already adding Cameron Fleming, Joe Looney, and Marcus Martin to provide depth to their OL, the Cowboys are still keeping a close eye on the top guard and tackle prospects. The same can be said about the wide receiver position, even after adding Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson.

It may come to a surprise to you, but I think it's a real possibility the Dallas Cowboys draft either another first-round offensive lineman or their first first-round wide receiver since Dez Bryant. This may not sit well with a lot of Cowboys fans, but I'm actually on board with this way of thinking.

I fully understand why some fans wouldn't agree. The Dallas Cowboys have most of their money already tied up in their offensive line and wide receiver positions. It doesn't make a lot of sense to keep investing in the same positions and ignoring others… Or does it?

I may be in the minority here, but I think the highest ranked player still available when the Dallas Cowboys are on the clock at 19 will be on the offensive side of the ball. I would completely fine if they take another first-round offensive lineman, but I'm not as sure about taking a receiver there.

Calvin Ridley

Alabama WR Calvin Ridley

Personally, I only see two wide receivers worthy of being taken by the Dallas Cowboys with the 19th overall selection, Calvin Ridley (Alabama) and D.J. Moore (Maryland).

Calvin Ridley is the top-ranked wide receiver in the 2018 draft class by a lot of draft analysts, and it's not hard to see why. He is the most pro-ready WR to come out of college in the last few years. He is also an advanced route runner and is a natural catching the ball.

I however have my concerns about Ridley. I think he has already peaked and doesn't have much more room for improvement. I think what you see is what you're going to get, which isn't a bad thing, but it is why I would personally choose D.J. Moore ahead of Ridley if I were the Dallas Cowboys.

I think D.J. Moore is just as talented as Calvin Ridley and has more upside. He already proved to be the more athletic of the two at the NFL combine when he bested the former Alabama Crimson Tide WR in nearly every event.

Moore is very similar to Ridley in my opinion. He may not be as advanced of a route runner, but he is still pretty good and has room for improvement. What sets Moore apart though, is his physicality. He is sensational after the catch because of that physicality, and that's something the Cowboys value.

Although Calvin Ridley and D.J. Moore are the only two WRs I feel comfortable drafting at 19, the Dallas Cowboys may not feel the same. That may be why they were at Cortland Sutton's (SMU) and Christian Kirk's (Texas A&M) Pro Day's this week. They are leaving no wide receiver stone unturned.

How would you feel about the Dallas Cowboys drafting a first-round WR?

1. Reynaldo Laporte

March 30, 2018 at 9:07 am

Mr. Martin, I pray that we are smart enough not to draft a WO with our first pick. If we did the obvious choice to me is Moore as he has a high ceiling, has some Steve Smith like qualities, and produced with horrible QB play.

With that said the only pick offensively I can justify when we’re on the clock is guard. We have to many pressing needs on defense.

• oneputter

March 30, 2018 at 9:28 am

i completely agree, we do not need WR’s in the first round. go defense, DT or LB.

as i stated previously, we can grab hamilton from penn state in the 3rd.

March 30, 2018 at 9:34 am

I just don’t see the value of drafting a DT for LB in the 1st unless it’s Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds. I personally don’t really like any other LB at 19. And we know the Cowboys don’t value the DT position very highly. I think they will wait until the third or fourth rounds to take a DT. We will just have to wait and see what happens though.

• Chuck Wright

March 30, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Sorry, completely disagree. . . .no position will have a bigger impact on Dallas’ D than a quality 1 Tech . . .he would instantly make the edge, the LBs and the DBs more effective and pay huge dividends in the run D. Now I get that Dallas does not value 1 Tech. . . .S and LB are the next 2 biggest D needs (2018) with edge a concern past 2018. I think this draft sets up to be another trade back barring a big time player sliding like James or Smith or Edmunds. . .though wouldn’t be shocked to see them grab Ridley. . ..and there are some good 1 Tech’s who will be available later.

March 30, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I am in complete agreement with you about the impact a quality 1-tech can make on the Cowboys defense. I just don’t think they will take one in the 1st. I also don’t really like the LBs or safeties in the 1st who will probably be available at 19. I would love for them to go defense with their first-round pick, I just don’t know if the value will be there, at least in the Cowboys eyes.

• Chuck Wright

March 30, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I hear you. . .I can only hope they trade back if they are going to go OG early. . ..

March 30, 2018 at 12:55 pm

I would love for them to trade back. I’m really hoping they can find a trade partner.

• Will

March 30, 2018 at 2:56 pm

You can get a guy like Bryan or the FSU kid later. Space eating DT’s are plentiful in this draft

• Will

March 30, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Exactly. DT and LB in this class is deep. DB (specifically FS types), TE, OL, and WR are where the value of this year’s 1st round lives

• Reynaldo Laporte

March 30, 2018 at 9:39 am

To be honest I think Whisky sippin Jerry is going to package some picks and move up, but we’ll see. As long as we leave the draft with LB, DT, and LG addressed I’m good.

We can shore up the safety position by signing Tre Boston, or Eric Reid and there is plenty of quality receivers and backs in the later rounds.

March 30, 2018 at 9:41 am

I’m hearing that they don’t really like Tre Boston and I doubt there is much interest in Eric Reid. They’ve shown interest in Kenny Vaccaro before, but I think they will wait and try to add a safety through the draft.

• Reynaldo Laporte

March 30, 2018 at 9:49 am

As we long as we come out of the draft with some DOGS I can’t complain. Our DB’s are going to progress and hopefully Jaylon Smith is the player he was pre-injury.

I can’t wait to see how the Richard effect is going to transform our defense. The 26th can’t get here fast enough.

March 30, 2018 at 9:30 am

I also think an offensive guard is a higher priority. It will be interesting to see if the Cowboys feel the same.

• Reynaldo Laporte

March 30, 2018 at 9:35 am

So many different variables Mr. Martin, we’ll see soon enough.

• Chuck Wright

March 30, 2018 at 12:40 pm

4 #1 picks on the OL????? OL isn’t even a priority today, you have an excellent starting 5 for the next 2 years even if you do nothing in the draft. WR bigger priority on offense even with the FA signings (one only 1 year the other 2, Beasley Williams and Dez gone this year or next)

March 30, 2018 at 12:54 pm

I don’t think they have a starting LG on the roster. I don’t think they are planning on moving Collins and he is a better right tackle then Fleming anyway. I think LG is at the top of the “need” list. And, I completely agree with you about the WR position. I just said the same thing responding to another comment.

• Will

March 30, 2018 at 2:59 pm

I think it’s OT they really might be looking at. Fleming, Looney, and Martin make for a great swing group. Collins is switching back to LG I think. It’s a guy like the UCLA OT, his name escapes me at the moment, that the Boys might be targeting

March 30, 2018 at 3:07 pm

Your thinking of Kolton Miller and I would hate if that’s their first-round pick. I don’t get the hype when watching his game film. This year’s OT class isn’t great, which is why I think they keep Collins at RT and draft a LG in the first few rounds.

• Will

March 30, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Totally agree, I’d be just as unhappy. It is what they’re thinking about I fear, though

• Stephen L. Holley

March 31, 2018 at 10:08 am

” SAFETY, LB, DL OR OL….ONLY SMART CHOICES”!!!!! I SAY TRADE BRYANT AND D LAWRENCE…CAP SPACE AND PICS… HIRE ROMO AS GM SO HE CAN TEAR UP OLD CONTRACT FOR CAP SPACE!!!!

• Tim Hargrave

March 31, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Get a clue why would you trade D-Law we been waiting to get a war daddy and now u want to trade him please just stop ✋

2. EverybodyTalks

March 30, 2018 at 11:12 am

I’m no expert. That is why I read your articles, but do we need another #2 WR? Isn’t that what Calvin and DJ are? We just signed Hurns and have T.Will. Aren’t they both #2 WRs also? Am I looking at this wrong?
    We all know that to say BPA(best player available) is sort of a fantasy, even though I will credit JJ and Company at filling in holes in FA to keep that fantasy alive. In reality, it is more a mix of BPA + Need. If Derwin James falls out of the Top 10, I could see JJ trading up to get him. If not, would you be surprised if the Boys used #19 to select (S) Ronnie Harrison? He might be the BPA + Need guy there. Possible?
    I agree with you that we can wait on a DT. Edge is almost barren, but DT seems deep this year, like CB was last year.

March 30, 2018 at 11:32 am

I don’t really know what they think about Ronnie Harrison. I’m thinking they are looking for more of a true FS, and that’s not Harrison’s game at all. And, I don’t know if they will trade up for Derwin James. I like him, but I would honestly rather trade down to acquire another pick in the top 100. I’m just not completely sold James is the difference maker everybody is making them out to be.

Also, Ridley and Moore are more WR2 types. But, I don’t have a problem with that. I don’t think offenses necessarily need a true WR1 anymore, especially if the Cowboys are transitioning to more of a spread offense. Think more in line of what the Patriots do with their WRs. Get rid of the ball quickly on shorter routes and then let the WR pick up yards after the catch.

• EverybodyTalks

March 30, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Appreciate the reply. Thanks Brian

3. winstar

March 30, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Brian, I like your articles and I must admit on this one I missed the question mark at first glance. I automatically though how does Brian know which position the Cowboys are considering for 19. With that said Jerral and his clan only put out propaganda this time of year. Every one of them are saying “not interested in DT1” yet I would not be shocked to see the right DT1 be the pick. We have critical needs at other positions even with the FA signings. If fans don’t realize the injuries to Tyron and Lee absolutely killed us last year, then IMO are missing the boat. I admit the Dez drops didn’t help but again, IMO, that is not what kept us out of the playoffs. Daks accuracy was dismal but the Cowboys are not looking for QB at 19.

• Chuck Wright

March 30, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Yep, not time to buy into what is being said. . .all the GMs are playing poker. . .

March 30, 2018 at 12:51 pm

I think they can find a quality DT later in the draft. It’s a pretty deep DT class, which is why I think the Cowboys go a different direction with their first pick. And, if they are planning on making the offense more “Dak-friendly”, then another WR is a high possibility. The position needs to be addressed. Bryant, Williams, and Beasley are all likely gone next season and even Hurns is only signed for two years. Might as well address it as soon as possible. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they go offense with their first two picks.

4. winstar

March 30, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Folks, would love to see and talk to you at the new site Inside The Star sponsors for us displaced Cowboy fans. If you would like to look at it, join us at boards.insidethestar.com

5. Nick Russo

March 30, 2018 at 1:37 pm

Truthfully the only offense I think we should look at in round 1 is LG, specifically will Hernandez or Isaiah Wynn. There are a number of good receivers that we could look to grab in rounds 2/3 if we feel the need to add another one (daesean Hamilton penn state). If we don’t go LG I would like to see us try to work something out to move up and get Derwin. As an FSU alumni, I may be biased but I think adding him to this young secondary would be the missing piece. Unless edmunds or Roquan smith fall to us I think we can get a serviceable LB in rounds 2/3 as well (jewell from Iowa, Wagner from BYU).

March 30, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Nick, I completely agree with what you said. I wouldn’t be upset if the Cowboys traded up for Derwin James, but I’m honestly not as high on him as others. I think he’s a tremendous athlete with untapped potential, but I don’t know if that justifies trading up for him IMO. I would honestly rather stay put or trade down.

Also, I like James Daniels (Iowa) as a first-round OL target as well. I think I like him a little bit better than Hernandez, but not as much as I like Wynn.

6. Albert Smith

March 30, 2018 at 2:07 pm

Give me Hamilton out of PSU later.

March 30, 2018 at 2:18 pm

I’d be happy with Hamilton or Anthony Miller in the third.

• Albert Smith

March 30, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Either one works for me I might even consider EQ St. Brown.

March 30, 2018 at 2:41 pm

I like EQ St. Brown. I think he is one of the WRs who has the most upside in this draft class.

7. Will

March 30, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Cowboys are going to trade. Up if Derwin or Minkah fall to the 10-12 range, down if bpa at 19 doesn’t fit a need, or a team like the Vikings wants to trade up for one of the OT’s

March 30, 2018 at 2:19 pm

All of the scenarios are certainly possible.

• Will

March 30, 2018 at 2:51 pm

They keep talking about making an impact in the first round. If that’s not one of the big FS options, I don’t see trading up. What I really do think is going to happen is they’re first going to trade down and pick up an extra 2 and hopefully 3, then trade back into the late part of the 1st to grab either a TE, OL, or DL, whichever inevitably falls. I’d personally like to see Geiseki or Hurst to eventually replace Witten

March 30, 2018 at 3:10 pm

I actually like the idea of trading down and then using an extra draft pick to trade back up for a player they like. I don’t think they’ll trade back into the 1st though.

• Will

March 30, 2018 at 3:17 pm

Could be targeting CLE’s 2nd round pick for whomever slips through the 1st just as easily, but that extra year of control is in play too

8. Tommy Davis

March 30, 2018 at 6:29 pm

We need someone that can take the top off of defenses! We just signed a tackle who rarely gives up sacks, we have a great LG who is currently playing tackle and should be moved back to guard. We need to score points to win, a great receiver allows you to do that. DJ Moore, and Christain Kirk are the elusive type of receivers that threaten opposing defenses. Courtland Sutton is a Julio Jones clone. I don’t understand the Calvin Ridley hype, he does not catch well in traffic, most of his receptions (look at his highlights) are when he is wide open. Stop the drafting a LG nonsense in the first round unless you don’t have one at all. Why did we just sign Looney, and Martin if you turn around and use your first round pick on the same position you just signed 2 free agents? Unless we get a receiver who can take the top off of defenses (Dez can no longer do that), the offense will continue to be predictable and stagnant at times.

9. Tommy Davis

March 30, 2018 at 6:29 pm

10. Bilbo Baggin

April 1, 2018 at 2:43 am

Shoot we need a tight end more than we need a wide receiver if we’re going to go receiver!

11. Bilbo Baggin

April 1, 2018 at 2:56 am

Man we need a lot but if we can get taco or Gregory to step up if he can lay off the Mary Jane. Then safety, left guard and tight end are important and DT. damn good luck then if these OL guys we signed step up it’d help we could focus on safety,tight end and linebacker. Hope we get it right! Go Cowboys!

12. Brian Martin

April 25, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Cowboys Draft Target: South Carolina WR Deebo Samuel

Cowboys Draft Target: South Carolina WR Deebo Samuel

Our search for a new pass catcher for the Cowboys in this years' draft class continues, this time with a wide receiver.

South Carolina's Deebo Samuel put himself on the map with a strong Sophomore season, but fell off a bit due to a severe leg injury early in 2017. After a strong 2018 campaign, and an impressive performance at the Senior Bowl, Samuel has played himself back into early Day Two draft discussions.

The Player

I don't know that anyone "won" Senior Bowl week more than Deebo Samuel did this January. Samuel, who had to deal with some poor quarterback play throughout his college career, didn't get much of a break in that department either at the Senior Bowl. But, he did show out every day at practice, and seemed to go viral on Twitter at least once a day.

During his actual collegiate season, Samuel finished with 882 yards and 11 touchdowns on 62 catches, solid production especially coming off an injury and playing in a limited offense. Initially in the NFL, Samuel is going to make his money in the slot. He's a shifty yet explosive receiver type than can quickly beat defenders with his speed. He's not the speedster than someone like Marquise Brown is, but he is explosive enough in his own right, especially in terms of short-area quickness.

Samuel isn't someone who will go up and grab the ball consistently, or even make up for inaccurate throws as often as some others might be able to. But he does have reliable hands, and his ability to get open quickly and create separation should give someone like Dak Prescott easy windows to find him in for completions.

What makes Deebo Samuel so fun for me to watch, though, is his ability after the catch. Despite his lack of size, Samuel is tough as nails, and rarely defers out of bounds or avoids contact. He's built well enough to withstand that contact as well, and when he gets free, he's hard to catch and bring down.

The Fit

Drafting Deebo Samuel 58th overall would be a heck of a haul for the Dallas Cowboys. In need of another playmaker in the passing game, the Cowboys could make immediate use of Samuel's talents in 2019, specifically as a slot receiver.

As has been mentioned ad nauseam, it seems unlikely that Cole Beasley will be returning to the team this season, which makes the need for a slot wide-out that much greater. Samuel has big play ability from the slot already, and has traits which project him to potentially work outside as well. If he tests well enough at the combine, reps on the outside could very well be in his future.

Samuel should be on every Cowboys fans' shortlist of draft targets in the second round this year.

3 Potential Day 2 Tight End Prospects for the Dallas Cowboys

3 Potential Day 2 Tight End Prospects for the Dallas Cowboys

By now it's no secret the Dallas Cowboys don't have a first-round draft pick in the upcoming 2019 NFL Draft. The Amari Cooper trade took care of that, meaning sitting through the entire Day 1 could be a little tiresome for us fans. But, Day 2 of the draft could get really interesting for the Cowboys, especially as it pertains to the players/positions they could target.

Today, I wanted to take a look at a few of the Day 2 tight end prospects the Dallas Cowboys could be interested in. This would be the second tier of TEs behind the likes of T.J. Hockenson, Noah Fant, and Irv Smith, all of which should be gone by the time the Cowboys are on the clock at 58th overall in the second round.

I really believe that if the Dallas Cowboys plan on drafting a starting caliber tight end in this year's draft class they are going to have to do it with either their second or third round selection. The TEs available beyond that point probably aren't much of an upgrade over Blake Jarwin or Dalton Schultz, which is praise in itself about the upside of the young TEs they currently have on the roster.

With all of that in mind, I put together a list of three tight ends I would personally target on Day 2 if I were the Cowboys. I tried to identify what they typically look for in a starting TE (size, speed, athleticism), while also taking into account the ones that are are versatile enough to contribute on all three downs in both the running and passing game.

Isaac Nauta, Georgia

Isaac Nauta

Georgia TE Isaac Nauta

Isaac Nauta is a former five-star recruit who never really lived up to his billing during his time with the Georgia Bulldogs. He is a top-notch blocker both in line and when split out wide, but due to the Bulldogs run heavy offense he never really developed into the pass catcher many envisioned him becoming. He possesses good speed and terrific hands to be a threat in the passing game though, even if he doesn't show a lot of separation ability on film.

Nauta looks and plays like a prototypical Dallas Cowboys tight end. He has the desired size (6'4", 246), athleticism, and skill set to step in and be the Cowboys TE1 as a rookie. His blocking ability alone will get him on the field early, but he also shows enough pass catching ability to be a threat in the passing game as well. Overall, Nauta is a pro-ready three down TE who is a high floor prospect with very little downside.

Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M

Jace Sternberger

Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger

Jace Sternberger is a former three-star recruit and the definition of a one-year wonder. He was basically a complete unknown before the 2018 season and had just one catch for 5 yards during his two years at Kansas before deciding to transfer to JUCO. He didn't fare much better at Northern Oklahoma A&M, but Jimbo Fisher thought enough of him to bring him aboard a Texas A&M, essentially turning him into an All-American and first team All-SEC.

Sternberger is almost the exact opposite of Isaac Nauta, but still has the desired traits the Dallas Cowboys look for in their tight ends. Unlike Nauta, Sternberger is much more accomplished as a passing threat. He runs and moves like a big wide receiver and possesses good separation ability. Due to his size (6'4", 250) and athletic ability he is difficult to bring down after the catch as well. He's not as accomplished as a blocker as Nauta, but he shows good technique and will improve in time with added strength. He has the ability to be the Cowboys TE1 as a rookie.

Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

Dawson Knox

Ole Miss TE Dawson Knox

Dawson Knox is a former walk-on quarterback at Ole Miss, but spent the last two years playing tight end for the Rebels. He is one of the more difficult tight ends to evaluate in this draft class due to the unorthodox offense he played in and his usage in the system, but may actually be more pro-ready than many of us believe. He does have the size (6'4", 250), speed, and natural hands to be a complete three-down TE in the NFL and reminds me a little bit of George Kittle when he was entering the league.

Knox is still pretty raw as a player, but moldable and he has the upside to be one of the best tight ends in this entire draft class. He could probably compete to be the Dallas Cowboys TE1 as a rookie, but it might be better for him to be in a timeshare of sorts while he develops his God-given talent. Nevertheless, I have a hard time seeing him making it out of Day 2 of the draft, especially after he puts on a show at the NFL Scouting Combine. His talent might be too much for the Cowboys to pass up.

Could Cowboys Take Another 2nd Round Risk On DT Jeffery Simmons?

Could Cowboys Take Another 2nd Round Risk On DT Jeffery Simmons?

The Dallas Cowboys have taken a few risks when on the clock in the second round of the NFL Draft in recent years. Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith, both important starters on defense, were drafted to the Cowboys after they went down on many teams' draft boards. In 2019, they'll have the opportunity to take yet another risk. Recently, one of the best defensive tackles in this year's class, Jeffery Simmons, suffered a torn ACL while going through a drill during his workout in Florida.

Simmons took to Twitter to share the unfortunate news that will drastically affect his draft stock only a couple of months before the Draft.

Jeffery Simmons on Twitter

Jeffery Simmons on Twitter

Before the injury, Jeffery Simmons was seen as a top draft prospect. Some even envisioned him being drafted in the top 10. As a 21-year old defensive tackle from Mississippi State, Simmons had an impressive career during his time in college football. In three seasons he managed to rack up 157 tackles and seven sacks.

If one thing is clear it's that the Mississippi State product will be an impact player when he gets on the field on Sundays. His quick reaction on the get-off will still interest a lot of teams despite his injury. A sound defender on the running and passing game, he'll pay big dividends for whichever team decides to pull the trigger on him come April.

Due to their recent second round draft history, I can't help but wonder if the Dallas Cowboys will consider him when they're on the clock in the second round. This year though, there will be a big difference. Pick #58 will be the first time the Cowboys will be on the clock in this year's draft after trading away their first rounder for Amari Cooper last year.

It will be tough for them to wait until the third round to pick a player they could actually put on the field for the 2019 season. Specially considering the fact that they're a football team with title aspirations this year. Despite their history and the fact that Simmons will be one hell of a pro, I believe the team will not want to make such a pick in the second without a first round selection.

The team has a big need at DT, although Antwaun Woods and Maliek Collins were very serviceable in 2018. We'll see how tempted they are if Jeffery Simmons is still on the board when they're on the clock.

Tell me what you think about "Could Cowboys Take Another 2nd Round Risk On DT Jeffery Simmons?" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!