Star Blog

Backlash From Dak Prescott’s National Anthem Stance Justified?

Dak Prescott Become an "Uncle Tom" Over National Anthem Stance?

Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Dak Prescott weighed in on where he stands with the entire kneeling protest issue during the national anthem when addressing the media recently. What he had to say didn't sit very well with quite a few people, causing quite a bit of unwanted backlash.

"I'd never protest during the anthem, and I don't think that's the time or the venue to do so," Prescott said. "The game of football has always brought me such peace, and I think it does the same for a lot of people."

As you can imagine, this didn't sit too well with those who are in support of kneeling during the national anthem.

As an African-American/Black NFL QB, Dak Prescott could've followed in the footsteps of Colin Kaepernick and decided to kneel for the anthem. As you know, Kaepernick pretty much started this protest to draw awareness to social injustices, particularly police brutality against African-Americans.

This has unfortunately caused quite a stir. Many people have taken to social media to voice their displeasure in Prescott's decision not to kneel during the national anthem. And more times than not, the comments have been downright degrading and outright hurtful.

Carron J. Phillips on Twitter

This meeting/statement means nothing when Jerry Jones, who owns "America's Team," has drawn a line in the sand and Dak Prescott is out here basically saying he's happy being a lemonade serving house negro. https://t.co/0NtE8c4oiy

"Lemonade serving house Negro"…Really!?

Honestly, I'm completely dumbfounded someone who disagrees with Dak Prescott for not kneeling during the national anthem can say that. I doubt Mr. Carron J. Phillips would say that to Prescott's face, but luckily he can hide behind social media. I for one think it's cowardice to do such a thing, but that's the kind of society we live in today.

I guess he just thinks Prescott has become an "Uncle Tom", a term that has been used to describe a black person who is overeager to win the approval of whites. Jerry Jones puppet if you will. It was Jones after all who has said that his players will stand for the anthem if they want to be a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

Angry Black on Twitter

Dak Prescott be like.....

I understand where the people who disagree with Prescott's stance on kneeling for the national anthem are coming from. Prescott could've drawn even more attention to the social injustices by choosing to kneel. This is especially true considering is he starting QB for Americus Team, arguably the most recognizable sports organization in the world. I just don't agree with their methods of voicing their displeasure.

I think a lot of these people missed the bigger picture in Prescott's interview, especially when it comes to him wanting to take the "next step".

"I think this whole kneeling, and all of that, was all about raising awareness, and the fact that we are still talking about social injustice years later, I think we've got to that point. I think we've proved it. We know about social injustice. I'm up for taking the next step, whatever that step might be for action and not just kneeling."

I don't know what the "next step" will be for Dak Prescott, but I for one am proud that he decided to address the kneeling situation to begin with. He could've easily brushed it off and not voiced his opinion on the topic, but instead chose to give his opinion.

Now, I know a lot of people will read this and accuse me of just being another "white guy" who doesn't understand the kneeling protest or what they're trying to accomplish. But, I promise you you'd be wrong.

I believe in equality and all that it encompasses. Sadly, we live in an imperfect world. But, that doesn't mean we should chastise those who we don't necessarily see eye to eye with. Unfortunately, that's what too many people are doing to Prescott. I think it is just wrong and completely undeserved.

It's time we take the "next step" and figure out how to work together in order to put our differences aside and become a better nation.

Do you think Dak Prescott is being unfairly chastised?

1. Zac H

July 30, 2018 at 7:56 am

“The game of football has always brought me such peace, and I think it does the same for a lot of people.”
    God forbid Dak wants to be a football player first! Unbelievable… makes you think that he practiced and worked hard his whole life for this opportunity or something!?!

July 30, 2018 at 9:13 am

Prescott is really in a no-win situation. If he chose to kneel for the national anthem he would be criticized and choosing not to kneel he is being criticized. I actually commend him for choosing to address the situation instead of avoiding it. I respect him more now.

• Sexcdex Xfact

July 30, 2018 at 10:14 pm

True

2. oneputter

July 30, 2018 at 8:14 am

i think he is.

the cowboys have been one of the few teams that have chose not to protest, even before it became a huge media storm that it is now. just recently have the begun to voice their opinions about it.

i think dak is correct in saying protesting does not belong in this arena, what are they getting out of it?

if the networks had any sense, they would stop showing the national anthem on tv during games. this way no one can be seen protesting, no one can be seen not protesting, and teams don’t get labeled for doing/not doing what some people expect them to do.

July 30, 2018 at 9:15 am

I would agree. It’s nothing new that the Cowboys have chosen to not kneel during the national anthem. What is new is Prescott finally addressing the situation. Unfortunately, he was in a no-win situation no matter which side he chose.

• Sexcdex Xfact

July 30, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Good point

3. Norman Connor

July 30, 2018 at 8:25 am

Sir your article completely misses the point. Dak is not being criticized for not kneeling, rather for criticizing players who do. This is my opinion warrants the comments he is getting on the internet. I have been a Cowboy fan for 45 years and with Jerry Jones and Dak, I honestly can’t root for them anymore.

July 30, 2018 at 9:08 am

I haven’t seen anything where he criticizes players who have chosen to kneel during the national anthem. He did say that he believes it’s served its purpose and it’s time to take the next step. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve chosen to no longer be a Cowboys fan because of all of this.

• Sexcdex Xfact

July 30, 2018 at 10:24 pm

If I say I respect your comment, & I do,
        But
        I say I disagree with it which I don’t
        That in & of itself is a criticism
        Even if I don’t specify why or how I feel you’re wrong
        But
        Only on how I would or wouldn’t do it

Of you’re a car & I praise the make &odel, but then say “Why the heck you pick the color, it’s. not appropriate! ”

That would be criticism although I say I respect your choices

• oneputter

July 31, 2018 at 7:52 am

i would have to agree with the rest, he in no way has criticized players.

he said they should protest, if that is what they believe, but should chose to do it elsewhere.

this is what happens when the media starts this, people read it and form their own opinions, pass those along, even when wrong, that eventually it becomes the “truth”…..

is it an apple or a banana?

• ozzy mo

August 1, 2018 at 9:47 pm

See ya. later. Don’t need you anyway.. If a black man can’t speak his opinion, without being called an uncle Tom and worse, you and your views are are the problem. Find a team that has no respect for America…You will be at home then.

4. Michael White

July 30, 2018 at 8:54 am

I thought his words were on point…”it’s time for action”. The whole point of players kneeling was due to African Americans being killed by police officers. Now the whole narrative has changed, to the right to kneel at a football game? Really. The awareness is there now. Everyone knows what the purpose of kneeling is about. I want to see players step up and take the demonstration to the streets. Rally the war cry against social injustice aimed at all minorities in housing, employment, fair legal representation, etc etc. Cause i don’t see or hear any of that being done in the off-season. Maybe a small percentage do it..but the majority do not. Which to me personally undermines the value of their, players, cause. I am African American, ex military, Navy, and I understand the right to freedom of speech. And believe everyone has a right to demonstrate and utilize that freedom to illustrate a point, and there are many ex military who feel the same way i do. And we don’t feel insulted when we see demonstrations. That’s why we joined. Just make sure your cause is valid and beneficial to the community. That is what would make us proud

July 30, 2018 at 9:12 am

Michael, first things first. I want to thank you for your service to our country. Secondly, I personally didn’t agree with players kneeling during the national anthem, but understood why they did so. The awareness of the social injustices has been raised and it is time to take the next step. Unfortunately, that hasn’t really happened yet. It’s probably one of the reasons why this entire kneeling protest is still a big story.

• Sexcdex Xfact

July 30, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Honorably Discharged Disabled American US Air Force Veteran
        Service-connected

I served for all to enjoy life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness

Not one over the other & even if you were against me, I served to protest you

The next step has happened & continues to be so
        Just not as fast nor as we wish

The wheels of justice turn slow
        I’m still fighting for compensation for loss I’ve incurred serving my country
        Yet I still honor it & the flag but
        I see the same unresolved issue’s as I faced growing up

America isn’t perfect neither will it ever be
        And as long as we deny others rights & voice it will thrive in chaos & conflict moreso than thriving in Love & respect
        But
        This Anthem issue is oy part of the whole
        Thus it must be dealt with from the root cause(s)

• Sexcdex Xfact

July 30, 2018 at 10:35 pm

Kneeling is action!
      &
      Just watch the news, protest have yet to cease off season & on

People still protest at abortion clinics decades later & despite talk shows, social media, legistrations, etc

I saw how people would view Prescotts comments as soon as I read them

That’s why I posted my views saying idk if he literally meant what he said or chose the wrong words or phrases at certain points

We are held to our words whether we chose poor ones or not
      He’s not heard the last of criticism either this is just the begining

I fear this will be more if a distraction for the team this year & I blame our Owner & Son

• Chet Horton

July 31, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Don’t speak for all veterans. In my opinion the vast majority would completely disagree with you on all your arguments about the anthem. Every veteran I know is sickened by every player who disrespects our country and service members by kneeling and pursuing social justice issues while in their game day uniform. I spent 24 years serving my country and have deployed twice in 2 separate decades and I respect U.S. Citizens right to assemble and protest but those protections weren’t intended to and do not protect that right while you are at work if your employer doesn’t allow it. You have a job to do your job and if employers want to fire people for protesting during work hours they are completely within their constitutional rights to do so. Jerry Jones owns the Dallas Cowboys and all products, brands, and intellectual property. When players are in uniform they represent the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones has every right to require every single employee to “toe the line” for the national anthem.

5. TreFKennedy88

July 30, 2018 at 11:06 am

I respect Your perspective Brian but on this particular issue i don’t agree with you on this.

July 30, 2018 at 11:18 am

And that you’re right as an American citizen. We don’t always have to agree with one another, but it is important that we all try to work out our issues. Thanks for reading.

6. Michaelangelo McCullar

July 30, 2018 at 11:31 am

Seriously, White people should not weigh in on this. You have zero understanding of the perspectives involved.

July 30, 2018 at 11:41 am

So you’re saying because of the color for my skin I don’t understand the social injustices in our society today? That’s absurd! I may not be personally impacted by the issues, but I can imagine how those who are are living in fear of racist and prejudiced people. It’s almost like the persecution of the Jews all over again, although it hasn’t reached that point yet.

• Michaelangelo McCullar

July 30, 2018 at 11:54 am

This has nothing to do with social justice. Your article tried to defend the criticism of Dak from the Black community. The problem is, you’re not Black, and therefore you have no idea how his comments made us feel. If Dak had just said he personally did not feel right protesting, this issue would be dead. But the way his comments came off, they sound as if he is criticizing anybody who made the choice to protest during the anthem. I’m sorry if it offends you, but the last thing Dak needs is White people telling Black people how they should or should not feel about his comments.

July 30, 2018 at 12:11 pm

See, I didn’t think he was criticizing those who chose to protest during the national anthem. What I took away from his statement was that he said the awareness for social injustice has been brought to everybody’s attention, but it’s time to take the next step.

• Michaelangelo McCullar

July 30, 2018 at 12:24 pm

“I’d never protest during the anthem, and I don’t think that’s the time or the venue to do so,” Prescott said.

That comes off as a criticism of those who protested. That’s why he’s catching heat. If he hadn’t made the second part of that comment, he wouldn’t be catching the heat he has. It’s 100% his right to not protest. But he should have left it at that instead of making the blanket comment that he did not think that was the proper venue to protest.

July 30, 2018 at 12:41 pm

I get why people are upset with him. I guess it just depends on which side of the coin you are when it comes to the protest. I personally don’t like the kneeling during the national anthem, but completely understand why they chose that situation for the protest. I guess that’s why I don’t see him criticizing those who were protesting in his statement.

• Boom!!

July 30, 2018 at 3:20 pm

hey Brian! You ever been punched and called the N word, you ever see police and start to panic, you ever been pulled over and searched because you look suspicious, have you ever looked suspicious! Most likely not! That’s an everyday thing for black people! That’s not our problem
            Because that not something you have to worry about! We watch a sport that’s dominated by black people and they have to keep in the back of their mind that they are now just a bigger target! The anthem is the perfect place to protest! Listen to the words…..they clearly apply to a certain group of people…..it’s a shame to stand up for a lie…..u want them to make the next move because ultimately there is nothin that can be done about it! Just like the war is n drugs racism will never end until racists stop raising other racists! You got police chiefs and captains In America that are bro nazis and kkk members….how tf does a black person stand a chance against the cops, let alone racist cops!! Cmon man!!!

July 30, 2018 at 4:05 pm

I agree things need to change, but is kneeling for the national anthem doing that? Yes, it’s drawing attention to the social injustices, but it’s been going on now for nearly 3 years. Something else needs to be done off the field, and I think that’s what Prescott was trying to say.

• David carter

July 30, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Would’ve could’ve should’ve. I guess because you’re black you can criticize him but he can’t criticize fellow black people. Everyone has the right to be judgemental and criticize one another as long as they don’t mind it coming back on them. Yes Dak deserves backlash for his comment as long as we don’t pretend to be any different for criticizing him.

• Chet Horton

July 31, 2018 at 12:43 pm

First of all I’m not white … lets get that straight from the start. If that is your thought process then everyone who has never been in the military should not be allowed to kneel during the national anthem because they don’t how it feels to go to war and then see the symbol of what you were fighting for being completely disrespected. You are outside of your mind dude. Skin color doesn’t matter on this issue because guess what he sure takes those paydays from everyone who buys tickets …. including the white ones.

• Michaelangelo McCullar

July 31, 2018 at 4:55 pm

White people have no business telling Black people who is and isn’t an Uncle Tom. If you can’t grasp that concept then I can’t help you.

7. Joe Conti

July 30, 2018 at 2:36 pm

I think all these players that kneel during the anthem that don’t actually do anything in the community to address it are idiots. So there are only like a couple players that arent idiots

8. Boom!!

July 30, 2018 at 3:01 pm

White people just don’t get it, the government pays the nfl to play the anthem……it ain’t out of the love for their country or the respect for the soldiers…..it’s for profit!!!! Them players get paid very well but if they are able to make so much how much you think the owners make! U think they ace about the anthem or soldiers your an idiot!!! It’s the colored boys on the sidelines not following the rules
    That brought this on!! You dumb fucks!!

9. Jeff Beardslee

July 30, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I agree with Dak. These NFL players make a ridiculous amount of money. Why can’t they pull together and hire a professional campaign manager to get the ball rolling on this? It’s time for positive action! You can’t solve a controversy with another controversy. 2 wrongs don’t make a right. Anybody in their right mind can see that there is social injustice. This is the United States of America for God’s sake! Why can’t we come together and figure this out?

10. Sexcdex Xfact

July 30, 2018 at 10:14 pm

I’m one who understand that people vN make misquotes and or not use the best words6or phrases
    Dak said several things that I question whether he meant it word for word

Here’s some of what stood out :

Dak said he don’t think it the right place or venue
    What better place? Pepe March to the Capitol or White House to protest
    Those are the most prestigious places & most sanctimonious of venues

Dak said we need to do more as if the kneeling hasn’t caused all this uproar
    Yet people are still protesting abortion & other issues along with adding to what initiated it all

Dak said the game is he finds peace & it’s distracting to bring controversy in
    But what brings him peace causes division & controversy to date of him being the face of the franchise
    For many feel he’s ill-equipped for the starting job as QB
    Fans trash him for no reason etc
    &
    There’s still no peace concerning salary disputes, player health concerns, players not being in control of their destinies,
    Or
    The league changing rules after they sign their contracts but not allowing them to opt out
    As in the National Anthem issue at hand

11. NastyShug

July 30, 2018 at 10:56 pm

Well yeah I think it’s unfair! I don’t think his decision has nothing to do with JJ. His heart just won’t let him kneel. He understand what is going on with social injustice. He understand it could be him getting shot and killed by a police officer or a stand your ground person. But kneeling to the National anthem is not comfortable to him I’m sure. I’m a black man and I can’t do it. But what I try to do is educate people so they can open their eyes and see what’s really going on. This country is so divide on so many issues all this us against them attitudes is just weakening us as a country.

12. Russ_Te

July 31, 2018 at 3:33 am

Aside from the injustice that started it – lethal police brutality then usually those (bad) officers skipping out from charges (which continues as a frequent occurrence) – the issue is also a general one of whether players can make expressions on issues before games.

Only the NFL stumbles over this. The NBA makes it clear that it will make no rules on it and players are permitted the expression. It’s settled policy and nobody cries that they aren’t supporting America or the flag. LeBron James had an “I Can’t Breathe” t-shirt on before some games a few years back. No game disruption, just a t-shirt beforehand.

Protest is eminently American and it’s what got us free from King George 240 years ago.

13. Russ_Te

July 31, 2018 at 3:41 am

Jerry joined the players last year to kneel before the anthem. If Dak said he was doing it at the anthem this year, Jones would have caved in. Jones only cares about getting wins and historically sides with his players.

It’s a personal choice for Dak and any player – some guys stay out of politics. But Jones is a paper tiger and should simply shut up on the matter.

14. Jeannice Alt Emerson

July 31, 2018 at 12:09 pm

The protesting players are telling the fans “this is our black league”.
    Shame… to support the NFL for decades, only to have it implode right before our eyes.
    New found respect for Jerry and Dak.

• Russ_Te

August 1, 2018 at 2:48 am

So you support the NFL as long as Af-Am players are stopped from making any expressions about social injustice?

15. Chet Horton

July 31, 2018 at 12:35 pm

To be quite honest it doesn’t matter. Dak isn’t accountable for anyone else outside his family and teammates. He was asked a question and he answered it honestly. Those that are criticizing him doing it because his comments give their opposition strength and aren’t coming from a place of mutual respect for each others opinion. People are going to hate that is just the way it is. I don’t like any player who has kneeled and anyone who supports them, I want them all to get fired and be gone from the NFL but what I say about them doesn’t really matter in big picture. They do their thing and I don’t like and I do my thing and I don’t like it. There is no room for compromise on this issue you either stand or you are wrong in my opinion. Things like this will never change. I don’t feel and the statistics on murder don’t back the players claims for police brutality. If you don’t do what the police tell you to what do you expect them to do … let you go? Personal accountability is what the players need to be focusing on and reaching out to all the little thugs and trouble makers to try to get them to stop breaking the law. If you break the law you stand a very high chance of being arrested and during that process if you don’t do what the police tell you to do they are going to take you down and arrest you period point blank that is just the way it is. If you have a weapon and don’t do what the police say to do you stand a very high chance of being shot by the police. You don’t have a right of any kind to break the any law and almost all incidents/altercations/shootings are legitimate use of force and are the fault of the offender in some way, form, or fashion.

• Russ_Te

August 1, 2018 at 2:57 am

Maybe read up on the many lethal incidents of the last few years. Start with Eric Garner in New York, 2014. Then Michael Brown in Ferguson MO, then Tamir Rice in Cleveland – on and on. By your logic police could open fire if you argue with them.

No wonder you don’t understand the player protest.

16. ozzy mo

August 1, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Why do they only want to protest and be SJW during football season? They are too busy having fun and living their lives, during the off season, I guess…Nothing but a bunch of overpaid whiny ass hypocrites,.

• Russ_Te

August 2, 2018 at 1:03 am

How are they hypocrites exactly, in any way?

• ozzy mo

August 2, 2018 at 11:37 pm

Because, they protest the Flag and Anthem about Police brutality, but never protest city hall, about police brutality. Why not gather in front of city hall in one of the cities, that a black man was killed by a cop? That is where the cops work and get paid. How about they go to Chicago and try to stop the whole sale killing of blacks on each other? . HYPOCRITES!

• Russ_Te

August 3, 2018 at 1:52 am

I don’t know any way that you would know what individual players do on their off time. Those who want to make a statement about a social injustice issue like this, are using their visibility as athletes. The NFL looks like pathetic Trump apologists trying to quash it.

• ozzy mo

August 3, 2018 at 12:06 pm

If any NFLplayer was protesting police brutality in front of city hall, or even holding a simple press conference, to say we, as black Americans are standing together to fight this injustice. Have you seen it on your sports channel? You news channel? NOPE! It hasn’t happened..You are a naive follower with little or no common sense. They are HYPOCRITES!

• Ronald Dulaney

August 7, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Wow, ozzy, judge much?
            Hypocrisy is Saying or professing one thing and then Doing the opposite.
            Seems to me these Kneelers are Doing exactly as they profess to believe, and courageously doing it not just at the local courthouse Etc., but for the whole nation to see and be, by you and the others, condemned and Damned for it.
            I appreciate the Kneelers’ courage and I also appreciate and share the patriotic passion for the Red White & Blue, Old Glory, a passion born from the unique qualities that exemplify true American exceptionalism: the tolerance, acceptance and even celebration of our differences.
            Our flag is BIG, and like a loving father, holds all his children near, even those who may be, for a time or grievance , angry with him.
            But if you can’t be that big and must get your little feelings hurt when someone doesn’t show the ” appropriate” amount of appreciation for the anthem, then you should push for a change of “venue”.
            Either abolish pregame anthems or keep the players in the locker rooms until it’s over.

Star Blog

2018 In Review: CB Anthony Brown Bounces Back

Anthony Brown's Resurgence A Great Sign for Cowboys Defense
Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

To say it's been an up-and-down start to the career of young cornerback Anthony Brown would be an understatement.

As a sixth round pick in 2016, everything Brown contributed during his rookie season was a plus. Due to injury he was asked to step into a greater role as the season went on, and he performed well enough to make the front office comfortable allowing multiple veterans to walk for nothing in free agency the following Spring. Brown looked like a legitimate starting cornerback in the league, and when Dallas brought in Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis during the next draft, the young secondary seemed set.

Then 2017 happened. And Anthony Brown struggled. Really struggled.

These struggles, coupled with the emergence of both Lewis and Awuzie during their own rookie seasons, made Brown's status heading into 2018 rather uncertain. Some wondered if they would trade him for a day three pick, others thought Brown could even end up being cut. Jourdan Lewis and Anthony Brown were slated to compete for the nickel cornerback job in training camp, and as it turned out, all Brown needed was that one extra chance to compete.

Brown won the job outright during the preseason, and began 2018 as the starting nickel. A fan favorite, most thought Lewis would reclaim his rightful spot on the depth chart sooner or later, but Anthony Brown's play (and Kris Richard's preferences) kept Lewis on the bench for much of the season.

Simply put, Anthony Brown balled in 2018, and was the Cowboys' second best corner for most of the year. By the end of the season Chidobe Awuzie had regained form, but Brown and Byron Jones were the most consistently reliable corners on the roster all of 2018.

Brown tallied 44 tackles, 2 sacks, and an interception in 2018, and finished third on the team in pass breakups with 8. As the slot corner Brown had an excellent season, especially for a former sixth round pick.

Now he enters a contract year, and with the Cowboys having so many guys to pay over the next two offseasons, he could find himself as an unrestricted free agent in 2020. And if he can keep up his play from last year moving forward, he could be in for a nice payday that Spring.

Star Blog

How The Tables Have Turned for 2019 Dallas Cowboys

How The Tables Have Turned for 2019 Dallas Cowboys

The 2018 season was a two-part tale for the Dallas Cowboys. The first is the story of a mediocre 3-5 team that couldn't get it going offensively. The second part is about a football team that turned its season around, made the playoffs, got a win in the postseason and ultimately lost to the team that ended up representing the NFC in Super Bowl LIII, the Los Angeles Rams.

Surely, 2018 didn't go as planned. The storylines leading to last season are actually very different from the ones we're hearing today. Let's take a look at a few examples of how the tables have turned for the Dallas Cowboys.

The need for a true WR1

Last season, Dak Prescott and the Cowboys preached the philosophy of not needing a #1 wide receiver. While that could've sound encouraging at the time, once the season began the team was proven wrong. They did need a WR1. Fortunately, this season we won't have to worry about it. This year, Dez Bryant shouldn't be a discussion topic among Cowboys' fans.

Amari Cooper is in the house. And he's been pretty good since he started playing with a Star on his helmet. If we have conversations about the WR position, they will not be about who's the #1 guy. With Michael Gallup showing up late in the season, it probably won't be about who is #2 either.

How Cowboys Set up High-Stakes Division Meeting with Eagles at Home

Back on top of the NFC East

Last year, the Dallas Cowboys were not really the favorites to win the NFC East. The Philadelphia Eagles had just made history by winning their first Super Bowl ever and it seemed like the Cowboys would have to get a wildcard spot to play in January. Now it's the Cowboys back on top after sweeping the Eagles and turning their once 3-5 season around.

That of course, means a tougher schedule next season. However, it's nice to be back on top of the division. These two teams will surely have an intense race for the division title next season. Maybe we even see them both in the playoffs for the second consecutive year.

Sean Lee's uncertain future

I'm pretty sure no one expected Sean Lee to be considered a potential cap casualty for the 2019 season. Even if he was, it would've probably been anticipating an injury or something like that. No one would've imagined that Leighton Vander Esch would be so good to take Sean Lee's job.

The Cowboys' first round rookie truly earned the starting role as the defense's weak linebacker and he should keep it. With Sean Lee set to return to the field, I'm sure we didn't expect him to be a backup by now. We'll have to wait and see if the Cowboys decide to part ways with him. As a fan, it would certainly be painful. But we can't deny it would be a move that makes sense.

✭✭✭

It's a crazy franchise on a crazy league. Who knows how things will go from now on, but the Dallas Cowboys certainly look like a promising team heading into the 2019 offseason. Here at Inside The Star, we'll continue to update you with the latest on your favorite NFL team.

Tell me what you think about "How The Tables Have Turned for 2019 Dallas Cowboys" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!

Star Blog

Cowboys en Español: Volviendo a la Idea de Earl Thomas

Are the Dallas Cowboys Done Pursuing FS Earl Thomas? 1

El año pasado, Earl Thomas fue uno de los temas de conversación más frecuentes para los aficionados de los Dallas Cowboys. Después de que los Seattle Seahawks no le dieran su deseada extensión de contrato, Thomas se convirtió en un candidato a ser intercambiado de su equipo. Entre los favoritos estaban los Cowboys, quienes tenían una necesidad en su defensiva secundaria. Ahora que la temporada 2018 llegó a su fin, la misma necesidad por un safety de calidad está presente en Dallas.

Sólo que en esta ocasión, Earl Thomas no está bajo contrato con ningún equipo. Su último momento con el uniforme de los Seahawks fue en un carro de lesiones, donde salía lesionado en dirección a su vestidor. Esto mientras se despedía de su equipo con el dedo de en medio extendido hacia sus entrenadores y compañeros. Así concluyó su temporada y su carrera en Seattle.

Ahora, listo para cumplir los 30 años en mayo, Earl Thomas probará la agencia libre cuando comience en marzo. Y sin lugar a dudas, uno de los equipos candidatos a firmarlo serán los Dallas Cowboys. Es un equipo que a pesar de tener una de las mejores defensivas la temporada pasada, se vería muy beneficiada con la llegada de un profundo del calibre de Thomas.

A pesar de su edad y las lesiones, Thomas continúa siendo uno de los mejores en la liga. Su talento es innegable y tendrá toda la disposición de demostrar lo que vale cuando tome el campo la próxima temporada. Cuando llegue el momento, podríamos ver una guerra de ofertas entre varios equipos de la NFL para llevarse al veterano a sus respectivas ciudades.

La pregunta es: ¿estarán los Dallas Cowboys en esa guerra de ofertas?

Los Cowboys tienen espacio en el tope salarial. Sin embargo, este no durará mucho considerando que DeMarcus Lawrence está esperando su merecida y cara extensión después de jugar bajo la etiqueta franquicia en 2018. Además, jugadores que aún están bajo contrato también estarán buscando ofertas este offseason.

Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper, y Byron Jones están en la lista de quehaceres de la administración. Eso sin mencionar a Cole Beasley, cuyo contrato ya expiró y podría llegar a la agencia libre en marzo.

A pesar de esta complicada situación, los Dallas Cowboys deberían buscar conseguir a Thomas. Siendo sinceros, la defensiva tiene mucho talento y podría mantener su nivel en 2019. Pero hace falta un jugador en la posición de safety para llevar a esta unidad a otro nivel. Un nivel realmente capaz de ganar en postemporada enfrentándose a cualquier tipo de ofensiva. Sin importar que tan explosiva sea. Y además de esto, un jugador que sea capaz de robar el balón y hacer jugadas de impacto constantemente.

Cuando los Cowboys se enfrentaron a Seahawks en temporada regular, Thomas dio un buen ejemplo de esto interceptando en dos ocasiones a la ofensiva de Dak Prescott.

A pasos de un equipo de campeonato, un movimiento agresivo para obtener a Earl Thomas sería algo genial para Dallas. Vimos como los Rams de Los Angeles fueron agresivos al construir su equipo y llegaron hasta el Super Bowl este febrero. Quizá es tiempo de que Jerry Jones y compañía sean igual de agresivos y vayan por ese safety elite que la afición lleva pidiendo desde el offseason del año pasado.

Tell me what you think about "Cowboys en Español: Volviendo a la Idea de Earl Thomas" in the comments below, or tweet me @MauNFL and let’s talk football! If you like football and are looking for a Dallas Cowboys show in Spanish, don’t miss my weekly Facebook Live! show, Primero Cowboys!