Reviewing Potential First-Round Prospects For The Cowboys

Reviewing Potential First-Round Prospects For The Cowboys 2

The long-awaited event is almost upon us. Thursday night the 2018 NFL Draft will finally get underway and we can end all of the speculation and draft talk as to who the Dallas Cowboys will select with their first-round draft pick.

I don't know about you, but Thursday night can't get here soon enough. I can't tell you how excited I am to finally learn which first-round prospect will be wearing a star on their helmet in 2018.

I know we have been discussing and analyzing which prospects the Dallas Cowboys could target with their first-round selection pretty much since the end of the 2017 season, but I thought I would provide you with a little recap in case you forgot.

Below I've reviewed several of the Cowboys potential first-round prospects who they've shown an interest in throughout the pre-draft process and also shared with you who I would personally draft at each position.

D.J. Moore

Maryland WR D.J. Moore

Wide Receiver

Calvin Ridley (Alabama), D.J. Moore (Maryland), Courtland Sutton (SMU)

With the release of Dez Bryant, the Dallas Cowboys will without a doubt draft another receiver and could do it as early as the first-round. I personally only see three wide receivers worthy of being selected that early, and the Cowboys have met with each one of them already.

Personally, I would be happy with any one of the three WRs mentioned above. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, but each one of them would likely be an upgrade over what the Cowboys currently have on the roster.

My pick: D.J. Moore ✭

I personally have D.J. Moore ranked as the highest WR in the 2018 draft class. He may not be as polished as a route runner as Calvin Ridley, but he's no slouch either. What I think separates him from the other two is his physicality and ability to pick up yards after the catch.

Offensive Guard

Isaiah Wynn (Georgia), James Daniels (Iowa), Will Hernandez (UTEP)

Chaz Green and Jonathan Cooper played the left guard position for the Dallas Cowboys last season, but that won't be the case in 2018. It's really the only position along the entire offensive line without a starter right now, which could make it a first-round priority for the Cowboys.

If the Cowboys want to get back to their run first mentality, then taking a LG in the first-round makes sense. They have already shown an interest in all three players mentioned above and each one of them would step in and be an immediate plug-and-play starter.

✭ My pick: Isaiah Wynn ✭

Isaiah Wynn held his own against some of the best pass rushers in the SEC while playing left tackle for the Georgia Bulldogs over the past several seasons. He will be asked to kick inside to guard in the NFL because of his lack of length, but I believe he possesses Pro Bowl potential as a rookie. He would make the Cowboys offensive line dominant once again.

Offensive Tackle

Mike McGlinchey (Notre Dame), Connor Williams (Texas), Kolton Miller (UCLA)

With Tyron Smith's continued back problems and La'el Collins ability to move back inside to left guard, the Dallas Cowboys could use their first-round pick on another starting caliber tackle. Their lack of depth at the position really hurt them last season when Tyron Smith was out of the starting lineup, and that can't happen again.

The 2018 tackle draft class isn't very deep, which could mean we see quite a few of them drafted earlier than expected. If the Cowboys believe Tyron Smith's back will continue to give him problems, then we could see one of the three players mentioned above taken.

✭ My pick: Connor Williams ✭

Connor Williams is a bit of an enigma because of his conflicting game film in 2016 and 2017. In 2016, he looked like a surefire first-round draft pick, but he looked like a completely different player last season. I believe he is still capable of playing like he did in 2016 and could play either tackle position in the NFL or be kicked inside to guard.

Harold Landry

Boston College DE Harold Landry

Linebacker

Rashaan Evans (Alabama), Leighton Vander Esch (Boise State)

Ideally, either Tremaine Edmunds or Roquan Smith fall to the Dallas Cowboys and become their first-round draft pick. But, I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. Both players should be long gone by the time the Cowboys are on the clock at 19, leaving him to choose from either of the two players mentioned above.

The Cowboys definitely need to come away with at least one, possibly two linebackers in this draft. Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith can't be completely relied on, and the depth behind them doesn't inspire much confidence either. That is why linebacker could be the top priority for the Cowboys.

✭ My pick: Rashaan Evans ✭

I know everybody will have their own preference, but I prefer Rashaan Evans over Vander Esch. I think Evans is the more physical player of the two and has shown the ability to rush the passer off the edge during his time in Alabama. I think he is capable of playing all three LB positions.

Defensive End

Harold Landry (Boston College), Marcus Davenport (UTSA)

The Dallas Cowboys have the numbers in order to get by with their current stable of defensive ends, but that shouldn't exclude them from looking for an upgrade. They could use someone who can start opposite DeMarcus Lawrence, and I'm not sure that player is on the roster.

They used their first-round draft pick on Taco Charlton last year, but they knew he was a project when they selected him. The return of Randy Gregory or Charles Tapper could be the solution, but there is no way either player can be relied upon right now. Maybe the two DEs above provides the answer.

✭ My pick: Harold Landry

Harold Landry played through injuries last season that really limited his effectiveness as a pass rusher, but in 2016 he looked like an elite prospect. I believe he could be the right defensive end the Dallas Cowboys have been looking for and would turn their defensive line into a dominant force playing opposite DeMarcus Lawrence.

Defensive Tackle

Vita Vea (Washington), Da'Ron Payne (Alabama), Taven Bryan (Florida)

If there is one position the Dallas Cowboys have neglected for several years now, it's the nose tackle or 1-technique. That's why it's kind of hard to envision them taking one with their first-round selection, but it is definitely a position that could stand to be upgraded.

This could be a good year for the Cowboys to change their draft strategy and take a defensive tackle in first-round, especially considering their lack of depth at the position. They have shown some interest in all three DT prospects mentioned above, and each one of them could still be available when they are on the clock at 19.

✭ My pick: Vita Vea

I don't know if there is another player the Dallas Cowboys could take with their first-round draft pick who would be an immediate upgrade and make everyone around him better than Vita Vea. He would not only upgrade the run defense due to his mere size and athletic ability, but he would help keep the linebackers clean behind him to make plays.

Who do you want the Dallas Cowboys to draft in the first-round?

1. Will

April 24, 2018 at 10:30 am

Forgot safety. Fitzpatrick first, Derwin 1A, Reid 2nd

April 24, 2018 at 10:50 am

I didn’t forget about safety. I just don’t think there will be one available worthy of the Cowboys first-round draft pick when they are on the clock.

• Kevin Black

April 24, 2018 at 10:53 am

Derwin is a strong safety. Fitspatrick and Reid are free safeties. You really can’t rank them together. It’s like ranking edge rushers as just Defensive Ends. Many are 3-4 OLBs, not defensive ends.

April 24, 2018 at 11:15 am

I think Derwin James can play FS as well. He just wasn’t asked to do it in college. I also think Reid can play either SS or FS.

• Kevin Black

April 24, 2018 at 11:27 am

I think you are right that they could play it, but their best position is SS for James and FS for Reid. Even Fitzpatrick could play SS if need be, but I think Reid and Fitzpatrick would suffer just like Jones did this past year. Jones is a FS/C combo and he played out of position last year as a SS.

April 25, 2018 at 9:23 pm

• Will

April 24, 2018 at 1:31 pm

I don’t see Derwin as a true SS only type. I think he has the talent to play either S spot and excel

April 25, 2018 at 9:23 pm

April 25, 2018 at 9:23 pm

2. Kevin Black

April 24, 2018 at 10:55 am

I’d prefer Vander Esch over Evans for one reason only: He can cover TEs and does well in zone coverage. Evans is best going downhill. Once Lee retires, Evans really can’t handle the Will as well as Vander Esch. Vander Esch just seems to be better in space, but Evans is a MUCH better run defender.

April 24, 2018 at 11:14 am

The only problem I have with Vander Esch is he really doesn’t look like a physical player. I saw way too many games where he gets washed out of plays or is unable to get off blocks. I think he is a WILL LB only and I think you can find those kind of players later in the draft, not in the first-round.

• Kevin Black

April 24, 2018 at 11:26 am

That is an issue for Vander Esch, but he was good about avoiding contact, something you want the Will LB to do. Even Lee has issues if he has to shed blocks. He’s much better when he’s clean. It’s one of the reasons I don’t see Vander Esch as a MLB or Strong, although he could do it if absolutely necessary. Seeing that we’re looking to replace Lee in a year or two, if that’s the mandate, I’d prefer Vander Esch. If we need a MLB, which I don’t think we do, I believe Jaylon willl be fine, then Evans wins hands down.

Evans is better and block shedding and taking on blockers, but he’s not as agile as Vander Esch and doesn’t have quite the speed either, not that he’s bad, just not as good as Vander Esch. Evans will have issues in the passing game unless you plan on having him help rush the passer. He just doesn’t seem as zone aware as Vander Esch. Also to Vander Esch’s credit, the light seemed to come on halfway through the season and his ceiling is so much higher, although Evans floor is higher.

April 25, 2018 at 9:23 pm

April 25, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Cowboys Receive 4th-Round Compensatory Pick in 2019 NFL Draft

Why Finishing 8-8 Improves Cowboys' 2018 NFL Draft Position

The Dallas Cowboys will receive an extra fourth-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft after the league awarded compensatory picks today.

The pick will be 136th overall, which is one spot below were Dallas drafted Dak Prescott in 2016.

Adam Schefter on Twitter

And in other news... NFL awarded compensatory draft picks today - Patriots and Rams each received two third-round picks. The full list, per sources:

We have Anthony Hitchens to thank for this extra pick. The former Cowboys linebacker signed a five-year, $45 million deal with the Chiefs last offseason which far surpassed any of the deal that Dallas made with their own free agent acquisitions.

Only free agents whose contracts expired, not those released in the offseason by their previous team, count towards the compensatory pick formula.  Therefore, Allen Hurns' deal was not a mitigating factor.

As mentioned already, the fourth round of the NFL Draft recently gave Dallas its starting quarterback. Other notable fourth-round picks in the modern era have been Hitchens, Doug Free, Marion Barber, and Chris Canty.

Last year, Dallas drafted DE Dorance Armstrong and TE Dalton Schultz with fourth-round picks.

Already short their first and sixth-round picks this year from previous trades, the Cowboys are certainly happy to have this extra selection for April's draft.

7-Round Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft: Pre-Combine Edition

3 Potential Day 2 Tight End Prospects for the Dallas Cowboys 2

I thought it would be a good idea to get out another 7-round Dallas Cowboys mock draft before the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine kicks off next week. Not only will the Combine shakeup a lot of people's big boards and draft rankings, but it will also be the first opportunity a lot of us will get to see some of these players firsthand.

For this Cowboys mock draft I used Matt Miller's big board on Fanspeak.com. I don't necessarily agree with where he has some of these players ranked right now, but that's part of the fun of doing these kind of exercises. With that said, he is still one of my favorite draft analysts.

Without further ado, here is my Pre-Combine 7-round Dallas Cowboys mock draft.

TE, Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M (2nd-round)

*189th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Jace Sternberger

Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger (John Glaser-USA TODAY Sports)

First off, I think Matt Miller has Jace Sternberger ranked way too low on his Big Board. I don't think he will make it out of the second round and may not even be available for the Dallas Cowboys when they are on the clock with the 58th overall pick. But if he is, I'm writing his name down on the draft card and not looking back.

The Cowboys have made it pretty clear they want to upgrade their TE position, but in order to do that they're going to have to draft one pretty early in my opinion. Sternberger may be a one-year wonder at Texas A&M, but he is exactly what Quarterback Dak Prescott needs in the passing game. He would change the dynamic of this whole offense.

At 6'4", 250 pounds, Sternberger has the size the Cowboys look for in their starting tight ends. His biggest asset right now is his natural receiving ability and how dangerous he is after the catch. He runs and moves like a big receiver. He's decent as an in-line blocker as well, but it's an area of his game that is still improving.

OT, Bobby Evans, Oklahoma (3rd-round)

*89th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Bobby Evans

Oklahoma OT Bobby Evans

It's a little surprising it hasn't been brought up more this offseason, but with Tyron Smith's continued back problems and La'el Collins entering a contract year, the Dallas Cowboys could be looking into drafting another offensive tackle. I know it may be an unpopular pick in the third-round, but I couldn't pass up on Bobby Evans.

At 6'5", 300 pounds, Bobby Evans has the prototypical size teams look for in their starting offensive tackles. He is a smooth athletically gifted lineman who does his best work in the running game. He projects best in a zone blocking scheme where he can use his athleticism to his advantage. He will struggle a little bit in pass protection until he cleans up his hand technique.

With the Cowboys he could compete with La'el Collins for the starting RT position as a rookie, but at the worst be the teams swing tackle in 2019. Since he has the ability to play either tackle position, he would make a good insurance policy if Tyron Smith has to miss time again because of his back issues. Again it may be an unpopular pick, but a necessary one.

OLB, Christian Miller, Alabama (4th-round)

*161st on Matt Miller's Big Board

Christian Miller

Alabama OLB Christian Miller

With the Dallas Cowboys needing more depth at linebacker and defensive end, I decided to select Christian Miller with their first fourth-round draft pick. He unfortunately hasn't been able to showcase his skill set on a regular basis due to being buried on the depth chart at Alabama and some unfortunate injuries, but he has immense potential.

I think a lot of teams will look to draft him as a outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, but I really like the variety of roles he could play in the Cowboys 4-3 defensive scheme. I think he could replace Demian Wilson as their strong side linebacker, provide depth at defensive end, and be a special-teams demon as a rookie.

The Cowboys of course will have to be comfortable with his injury history, but in the fourth-round I don't think that would be a problem. If he can stay healthy he has Pro Bowl potential as a pass rusher because of his size (6'4", 247), athleticism and fluidity to bend and torque his body. This might be my favorite pick in this Cowboys mock draft.

DT, Daylon Mack, Texas A&M (4th-round comp pick)

*178th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Daylon Mack

Texas A&M DT Daylon Mack

The Dallas Cowboys could definitely use some more defensive tackle help, especially after all but washing their hands of David Irving. They currently just have Antwaun Woods and Maliek Collins on the DT depth chart, unless you want to count Tyrone Crawford. That's why I returned to Texas A&M for the second time in this Cowboys mock draft and selected Daylon Mack.

Daylon Mack is a former five-star recruit who never really lived up to his billing at Texas A&M. Don't let that fool you though, he has the talent to earn a starting job with the Cowboys as a rookie at either the one or three-technique. He is the kind of prospect Rod Marinelli would love to work with.

At 6'1", 327 pounds, Mack would provide some much-needed beef to the Cowboys defensive front. He has surprising athletic ability for his size and has a devastating first step to be the kind of disruptive DT Marinelli prefers along his DL. I really love his violent hands and raw athletic ability, and I believe he could be an absolute steal in the fourth-round even though Matt Miller has him ranked much lower.

WR, Jalen Hurd, Baylor (5th-round)

*159th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Jalen Hurd

Baylor WR Jalen Hurd

Outside of Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup, the wide receiver position in Dallas is pretty dreadful. There are some young WRs who show some promise, but they still need more depth regardless. That's why I decided to take Jalen Hurd in the fifth-round in this Cowboys mock draft. He is one of the more intriguing prospects in the entire 2019 draft class.

The most intriguing aspect of Hurd's game is his background as a running back. He was a five-star recruit coming out of high school and was once considered a top RB prospect during his time in Tennessee before deciding to transfer to Baylor in order to switch to wide receiver.

At 6'4", 227 pounds, he has the prototypical size teams look for in a WR prospect. He reminds me a little bit of Cordarrelle Patterson, but is much more natural catching the ball. His route running is a little raw, but he has the ability to play in the slot or on the outside, something he did at Baylor. I think he could help replace some of Cole Beasley's lost production.

RB, Bruce Anderson, North Dakota State (7th-round)

* 206th on Matt Miller's Big Board

Bruce Anderson

North Dakota State RB Bruce Anderson

I reached a little bit with this pick, but if Bruce Anderson is available this late in the draft I would do everything within my power to bring him aboard if I was the Dallas Cowboys. I really think he could be the lightning to Ezekiel Elliott's thunder in the Cowboys backfield. I personally have him in the 3rd-5th round range, but can understand why he's ranked so low on Miller's Big Board right now.

Unfortunately, the draft process hasn't been very kind to Bruce Anderson so far. He was originally expected to open a lot of eyes in Mobile at this year's Senior Bowl, but unfortunately sustained an injury that kept him from competing. To make matters worse, he was a surprise snub at the Scouting Combine, meaning he only has private workouts and his Pro Day to impress scouts.

I for one am a big fan of Anderson's though. I believe he is exactly the kind of RB the Cowboys need behind Zeke. I personally see a poor man's Alvin Kamara when I watched his game film because of the different ways he can be utilized as both a runner and receiver. But, he can also contribute on special teams as a return specialist.

How do you feel about this 7-round Dallas Cowboys mock draft?

Cowboys Draft Target: Washington Safety Taylor Rapp

Cowboys Draft Target: Washington Safety Taylor Rapp
AP Photo/David Zalubowski

While most fans are hoping the Cowboys snag a different safety who played his football in the state of Washington, Huskies safety Taylor Rapp should be towards the top of their draft targets on day two.

The Cowboys have some decisions to make when it comes to their back-end, particularly at safety. Do they want to pursue a full time strong safety type who can play in the box, allowing Xavier Woods to play solely as the centerfield free safety? Or would they rather add a hybrid safety who can play in that deep third role, giving their defense more flexibility in how they utilize Woods moving forward?

If their answer to this question is to go with a more traditional strong safety, and slot Woods into one permanent role, then Washington's Taylor Rapp could be the right man in this draft class.

The Player

Taylor Rapp is not the single-high safety that I would typically value high in an NFL draft. He lacks the range to really play that centerfield role, and doesn't have the speed or agility to project to this role in the NFL. No one ever gets behind him, but that's more due to ridiculously deep alignment than excellent coverage skills.

Where Rapp does excel, though, is playing forward and downhill. Rapp is aggressive both in his pursuit of plays and in his tackling. He tackles with good technique as well, and can absolutely lay the wood when coming up to hit receivers over the middle. Rapp plays how you'd expect your old-school strong safety to play, and projects as a split-zone and box safety at the next level.

Rapp isn't anything special in man coverage, but he executes well at times. He's at his best when asked to cover tight ends in man coverage, something which would certainly be valued both in today's NFL and on this version of the Cowboys' defense. I wouldn't be as comfortable lining him up against shifty slot receivers over the middle, but he can match up well physically with tight ends in man.

Overall, Rapp is one of the best tacklers I've seen in this draft class so far, and with his instincts, size and physicality he will serve as a solid strong safety at the next level.

The Fit

I don't see Taylor Rapp as the typical versatile chess-piece the Cowboys have valued when drafting defensive backs in recent years. He does what he does well, but they would be ill-advised to mess with his alignment too often or try to make him fit into a different role. He's not going to move all over the field like Xavier Woods can, but he can certainly fit the Cowboys' current need for a strong safety.

Many fans want the Cowboys to pursue Landon Collins in free agency, but if they strike out there, Rapp could be their consolation prize in the NFL draft.

No, he's not as good as Landon Collins. Let me make that perfectly clear. But for a day two pick Rapp could fit a similar role to what Collins would here in Dallas: a strong safety who will play primarily in the box and cover tight ends in man.