A share of the NFC East lead is on the line in this year’s Thanksgiving showdown between the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins. According to the Week 12 injury report, Dallas will have to try and move up the ladder despite missing several key players.
Both teams played early Sunday afternoon last week, so neither has a rest advantage on this short week. But the Cowboys have much longer injury report; how much will that factor into today’s game?
- WR Tavon Austin (groin) – OUT
- TE Geoff Swaim (wrist) – OUT
- C/G Adam Redmond (concussion) – OUT
- DL David Irving (ankle) – OUT
- LB Sean Lee (hamstring) – OUT
- OT Tyron Smith (neck) – Questionable
- OT Connor Williams (knee) – Questionable
- G Zack Martin (knee) – Questionable
- DE Taco Charlton (shoulder) – Questionable
- DT Maliek Collins (knee) – Questionable
Despite still appearing on the report as “questionable,” many of these players are expected to play today. None are more critical than Tyron Smith and Zack Martin, who have kept the offensive line playing at a high level despite the absence of Travis Frederick.
Rookie Connor Williams is also expected to return today, but he may not get his starting job back from Xavier Su’a-Filo. The fifth-year veteran has played very well and disruption, especially on a short practice week, isn’t wise right now.
Starting TE Geoff Swaim will be out today with a wrist injury suffered last week against the Falcons. While not a big part of the receiving game, Swaim is an accomplished run blocker and the only TE with significant playing experience. Blake Jarwin is the next man up on the depth chart, but we could see plenty of Rico Gathers and Dalton Schultz as well.
Two big defensive names, David Irving and Sean Lee, remain out. Thanks to how Leighton Vander Esch is playing at linebacker, Irving is arguably the bigger absence right now. Thankfully, though, Dallas is getting back Antwaun Woods and Daniel Ross to help the middle of the defensive line.
- RB Chris Thompson (rib) – OUT
- RB Samaje Perine (calf) – Questionable
- WR Jamison Crowder (ankle) – Questionable
- OL Tom Bergstrom (knee) – Questionable
- CB Quinton Dunbar (shin) – Questionable
Second-string RB Chris Thompson, one of the team’s best receiving options, is out today. All of the Skins’ running backs have been banged up lately, but Adrian Peterson practiced fully the last two days.
While still listed as questionable, WR Jamison Crowder did not practice at all this week and that’s usually a bad sign for being active on game day. The slot receiver has had a down year thus far, but his time in the Washington offense would make him a useful tool for Colt McCoy.
Starting CB Quinton Dunbar should play but is nursing a lower leg injury. That could be an issue with the short week.