Football activities for the Dallas Cowboys and the rest of the NFL are about to kick into full swing now that training camp is finally upon us. Thank the Lord! The long-awaited 2019 season is nearly here, but first we have to get through the remainder of the offseason.
With that in mind, I thought it would be a good idea to put together a list of some important dates for the Dallas Cowboys and the opponents they will be facing leading up to the 2019 season opener. Continue to read below to see what’s in store for the Cowboys for the next month or so.
- July 25: Dallas Cowboys depart for training camp in Oxnard, California
- July 27-30: Practice
- July 31: Players Day Off
- August 1-3: Practice
- Blue-White Scrimmage: August 4 5:30 PM CT
- August 5: Players Day Off
- August 6-8: Practice
- August 9: Travel to San Francisco
- August 10: Preseason Game 1
- August 11: Players Day Off
- August 12-15: Early Practice, Depart for Hawaii
- August 16: Prep
- August 17: Preseason Game 2, Los Angeles Rams
* Practice Schedule at Home has yet to be Announced
- Hall of Fame Game: Atlanta Falcons vs. Denver Broncos, August 1
- August 6 – Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency
- August 8-9: League Wide First Preseason Weekend
Preseason Week 1: @San Francisco 49ers, August 10 8 PM CT, NFL Network
The Dallas Cowboys starters typically don’t play more than a series or two in the first preseason game. But, this is the first opportunity many of us will get to see what this year’s rookie crop can do against a talented, yet still somewhat underrated, San Francisco 49ers team.
Preseason Week 2: @Los Angeles Rams, August 17 9 PM CT, NFL Network
Even though the Dallas Cowboys starters probably won’t play much, this could be a revenge type of game in Hawaii against the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams thoroughly embarrassed the Cowboys last year and knocked them out of the playoffs. This could be a heated contest and a preview of what will come when these two teams square off against one another on December 15 in the regular season.
Preseason Week 3: Houston Texans, August 24 6 PM CT, NFL Network
The Houston Texans got the better of the Dallas Cowboys twice last year, once in preseason (6-14) and again in the regular season (16-19). The Cowboys will be looking to turn things around in what should be a dress rehearsal game this time around though. With Texas pride and bragging rights on the line, Dallas’ starters should play well into the second half and should get tested by a talented Texans team.
Preseason Week 4: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, August 29 6 PM CT
Week 4 of the preseason is generally reserved to those players fighting to make the final 53-man roster. This will be the last chance for the Dallas Cowboys and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to evaluate some of their down the roster players and help them better determine which ones they want to keep and which ones they want to risk losing. With a talented roster from top to bottom, this year’s game could be more important to the Cowboys than it has in years past.
- August 31: Cut Down/Roster Cut Day
- September 1 – Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.
2019 Season Opener
Week 1: New York Giants, September 8 3:25 CT, FOX
The Dallas Cowboys will once again kickoff the season opener against their division rival, the New York Giants. This will be the third year in a row these teams will open up the regular season against one another. For the Cowboys, they’re hoping to make a clean sweep of the Giants for the second consecutive year, and a Week 1 victory will go a long ways in accomplishing just that.