Cowboys News App [Android]

Upgrading LG Position Should be Cowboys Top Draft Priority

The are quite proud about the they have put together over the years. Their OL is headlined by three former first-round draft picks who have turned into All-Pro players, and one player who should've been a first-round pick if not for an unfortunate situation that had nothing to do with him that took place during the draft.

This offensive unit is the backbone of the entire Dallas Cowboys team, but some changes need to be made. No, not the personnel per se. , , , and will all return to their starting roles, but that only makes up 80% of the unit. Who makes up the other 20% is probably the biggest question that needs to be answered before the kicks off.

Yes, I'm talking about the vacancy at the left position.

Jonathan Cooper
Dallas Cowboys LG

Last season the Dallas Cowboys tried to plug the hole with and Jonathan Cooper. The Green experiment failed miserably and Cooper was serviceable at best. I don't know about you, but I think it's time to find a long-term solution and solidify the best offensive line for years to come.

The best and cheapest way to address the LG position is with one of the picks.

Sure, the Dallas Cowboys could re-sign Jonathan Cooper to another affordable contract, but I have zero faith he can remain healthy. That's been the knock against him his entire professional career. I was actually surprised he lasted as long as he did in 2017.

With the 19th pick overall in the 2018 , the Dallas Cowboys are in a good position to have their choice of the best offensive guards in this draft class. of Georgia, of UTEP, of Iowa, and Billy Price of Ohio State are all players under consideration here.

All four of these players are excellent Cowboys draft targets, and they can't really go wrong with any of them. They all bring a little something different to the table, but each would be an upgrade who would help get this team back on track.

You see, I think finding a new LG is the top Cowboys draft priority. I don't know if there is another position that can be filled by a rookie and contribute more to the team success in 2018.

This is especially true considering what the Cowboys like to do offensively. They want to establish the and control the clock. They weren't really able to do that in 2017 due to Tyron Smith's in the revolving door at .

Cowboys Draft Target: UTEP OL Will Hernandez
UTEP OL Will Hernandez

We all saw what happened when they were forced to get away from their bread and butter. This is not an that is currently equipped to rely on the to put points on the board. It's just not who they are.

That is why finding a new LG is so important. Not only would it help upgrade the running game, but it would also help keep things going if Tyron Smith continues to struggle with injuries.

It's much easier to plug and play a backup who can block in the running game than it is to find one who can pass protect as well as Smith.

I know opinions will vary, but I truly believe that it's in everyone's best interest to draft a starting caliber left guard. And if you want to know my , I would do it with their first-round draft pick by taking Will Hernandez.

Do you think LG is the Dallas Cowboys top draft priority?

Brian Martin
Brian Martin
Level C2/C3 quadriplegic. College graduate with a bachelors degree in sports and health sciences-concentration sports management. Sports enthusiast. Dallas Cowboys fanatic. Lover of life with a glass half-full point of view.

Similar Articles


Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Saul Molina

I think will hernandez will be there in the second Rd might have to move up and get him tho I think you take vita vea in Rd 1 then will hernandez in rd2 then go get wr’s korey robertson in the third

Albert Smith

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Chuck Wright

Sorry. . .no sale. #1 need of Da Boys is a run stuffing, 1 Tech. No other player will improve his side of the ball more. Frankly re-signing Cooper (unless he gets a big time offer) would likely be better. Now OG in Round 2 or Round 3, or trading out of #19 for a QB who is dropping to land a team who covets a QB for their 2nd and 3rd (this needs to be a team in the Top 7 picks). . . .then taking a OG if the quality 1 Techs are gone is a consideration. But no thanks at #19.

Rudy Shlesinger

we need to change and replace coaches from top to bottom

> Join our team...

-- COWBOYS ANDROID APP --Free Dallas Cowboys News App for Android

Trending Now