According to new reports this afternoon, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones will meet with star receiver Dez Bryant this Friday. This conversation could decide Bryant’s future with the Cowboys.
JUST IN: A source close to the @gbagnation says Jerry Jones will meet with Dez Bryant on Friday: https://t.co/97XebuVIxD
— 105.3 The FAN (@1053thefan) April 11, 2018
There are indeed discussions at The Star about a meeting between owner Jerry Jones and WR Dez Bryant on Friday, per a source.
Whether that conversation is a “pay cut” conversation or a “you’re cut” conversation? Source said “have no clue”. #Cowboys pic.twitter.com/5y5COxBLg3
— Mike Leslie (@MikeLeslieWFAA) April 11, 2018
The divide between the Dallas front office and Dez has been the main topic of the 2018 offseason. There’s no question that Bryant hasn’t been producing like a franchise receiver, but is still being paid as one.
At this point in the offseason, the Cowboys don’t necessarily need the $8.5 million in salary cap space that releasing Bryant would create. They can find less painful ways to sign any of the remaining free agents and their upcoming rookies class.
However, the issues with Dez may go beyond just finances. His lack of chemistry with quarterback Dak Prescott is evident on the field. The coaches may feel Bryant’s demand for targets isn’t in the best interest of their QB or offense going forward.
It makes sense for a decision to be made before the draft. The Cowboys should have options with the 19th pick at WR to find a replacement.
If Bryant is released, it would also give Dallas the cap room to perhaps pursue a trade for safety Earl Thomas.
Granted, the end result here could simply be Dez taking a modest pay cut. He may even call the team’s bluff and keep his job, salary unchanged, for one more season.
But if Dallas was really ready to do nothing, they probably wouldn’t even bother with this meeting. Not the late into the offseason, at least.
Whatever happens, Friday could be a very big news day for Cowboys Nation.
this is a much the QB’s fault as it is 88’s fault. too many throws were no where close to dez, yes he did drop some and dropped some easy ones but there were plenty that he reached for only to get one hand or a few fingers on it.
they both have work to do, no doubt, but it would be a huge mistake to get rid of dez. let’s hope he’s on board for doing whatever it takes to stay in dallas.
Well, Romo was more willing to throw to Dez for contested catches, and put the ball in tight spots. Fans will also recall Romo as an INT machine until his last couple of seasons, so I don’t fault Dak for throwing to who gets open and not into traffic.
Dez isn’t going to beat top CB’s and double coverages anymore, but if we had a WR who could pin the FS deep with his speed, Dez should be able to produce as the possession WR. Get it to him shallow and let him break a tackle.
I would offer him a new deal at the lesser value he’d have right now on the FA market, and put incentives in it if he can deliver a big year. If he balks, he walks.
“Butler, 28, had 15 receptions for 317 yards and three touchdowns in
2017, leading the NFL (among players with at least 15 catches) with his
21.1-yards-per-catch average.”
http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cardinals-Add-WR-Brice-Butler/8555c7f1-0c4f-4380-ac0a-088583635fe1
This was a great reason to keep giving reps to Williams and leave Butler on the bench last year…
Not surprised if Butler has a big year in AZ…